Why do I crave salty foods?

Options
The only time I crave sweet food is when I'm on my period and then I only want dark chocolate. The rest of the time I always crave salty foods... Does anybody know why this would be? I don't think my body needs the salt.. but could it.. or is there another reason?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://chriskresser.com/shaking-up-the-salt-myth-history-of-salt/
    Or it could be that your body is missing something else and thinks it is missing salt.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It might be a need for potassium which tastes kinda like salt. In fact sodium-free salt substitutes are made from potassium chloride in place of sodium chloride. Low sodium V-8 is very high in potassium because it has not only the potassium from the vegetables in it but also it has potassium chloride for flavoring.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    When I ate salty things I craved them. After reducing the amount of salt I consume the cravings don't happen. YMMV
  • sobriquethemingway
    sobriquethemingway Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think it might be a potassium deficiency! Last night and this morning I ate 2 bananas, some carrots, and a yogurt and suddenly ENERGY. I also am currently not craving anything salty at ALL. Plus, I have reduced my salt intake for years and I still crave salty things so I think I just never get enough potassium in my diet.. I need to take a multivitamin or something maybe.
  • AshleyMFitness16
    AshleyMFitness16 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Hm, I've always had this issue too!! But I hate eating salty stuff because of the bloat I get, the cravings are just so bad I have a habit of giving in. Thanks for this post!