Portion Control

Options
Does anybody have any advice when it comes to portion Control?

What works for you?

Replies

• jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Best investment ever.

Amen.

I still try to use my food scale 90% of the time, but in situations when I cannot, practice from using my scale has given me such a better eyeball estimation of what size portion something is.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am actually trying out the 21 day fix portion control containers. I am excited to see how these might be able to help me with portion control
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale. I will even pre portion out foods for several days on it (snacks like wheat thins, grapes). I measure most stuff by the gram and it seems accurate.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Food scale, though for some things after weighing a few times I can eyeball portions of that thing.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Food scale and food diary. Unbeatable combination for learning.

Now I just eat regular meals, serve myself reasonable portions, and use appetite/satiety to fine tune intake.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I can pretty much eyeball what I need but the real trick was not going back for more. It took me awhile but I finally learned to only eat half a sandwich when I go out to eat. Restaurants make them way too big.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Food scale FTW. I also will divide things like snack nuts and trail mix into individual serving size snack baggies. Not great for the environment, but helps me manage eating something that is high calorie and can be overeaten easily. Then I can just grab them to add to my purse or lunch.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have doing the 21 day Fix Extreme by beachbody right now and have these pre portioned containers for my food. For me it has been the best thing.
  • ptipton520
    ptipton520 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Scales (I found one that will set back to zero when you put an empty container on it), measuring cups, measuring spoons - all these to physically help. Visually/emotionally try smaller plates, smaller forks and spoons for smaller bites but more bites.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ptipton520 wrote: »
    Scales (I found one that will set back to zero when you put an empty container on it), measuring cups, measuring spoons - all these to physically help. Visually/emotionally try smaller plates, smaller forks and spoons for smaller bites but more bites.

I forgot all about the smaller plate thing until you mentioned it. A lot of time I will use my kids' plates when eating dinner. Makes the plate look full with the smaller portions.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    In addition to the food scale, get several sets of cheap measuring cups and spoons. That way you won't be tempted to "eyeball it" when your measuring cups are dirty.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Food scale definitely. But, if you don't already weigh and measure your food or just don't feel like it then what I do is pay attention to however much I would automatically serve myself and then take only half of it. Take a 10 minute break, drink some water and then if I'm still actually hungry I'll have more. Most of the time I realize I don't need it. It's about making new habits.
  • msanc095
    msanc095 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I bought a food scale but how do I know what is the correct portion size? Like how much rice, meat, etc I should be eating?
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A food scale is an amazing wake up call... I was *shocked* to see how small 1 serving size of pasta is. The cool thing is, I do feel satisfied with one serving but a lifetime of what I now know is more like 3 servings it's still hard to break away with what my mind tells me it's supposed to look like.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    msanc095 wrote: »
    I bought a food scale but how do I know what is the correct portion size? Like how much rice, meat, etc I should be eating?

You can pre-log it and see if it fits in your goals. There is no "should," only whether or not it fits with everything else you're eating for the day.

If you want an idea for a serving size suggestion, check out the nutritional label (for foods that have them). There is often a suggested serving size. Some people eat less, some people eat more. But it's a good place to start for ideas.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    msanc095 wrote: »

You use the food diary here on MFP and decide yourself how to distribute your calories. Hitting the preset carbs, protein and fat gram numbers can lead you in the right direction so you feel satisfied and also can have tasty meals.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I just started the 21 day fix meal plan (doing my own exercise) a few days ago. I have used a scale the last 2 years on and off it is the most accurate by far, but I just wanted to try something different. It is helping me learn appropriate serving sizes of carbs, protein, veg and made me realize I was not eating enough veggies and fruit. Once I learn to visualize on the plate the appropriate sizes, that will be a sustainable way to eat for life without counting everything. It ends up being similar to the plate rule (1/2 plate fruit or veg, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb, small amount of healthy fats).

ETA - you can find information about how to do the 21 day fix meal plan online for free (pinterest has a lot of printables) and use regular measuring cups (veg is 1 cup, meat 3/4 cup, etc.).
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Smaller plates. ....honestly I bought ikea dinner plates 10" dia and the food looks like a massive portion .
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    annalicous wrote: »
    Does anybody have any advice when it comes to portion Control?

What works for you?

If you have lots of weight to lose you can start out with measuring cups and measuring spoons. As you get closer to goal though, a digital scale is going to be way more accurate (closer to goal your deficit will be smaller).

21 Day Fix containers are like very expensive colored tupperware measuring cups. I already own measuring cups.....it's basically a rip-off of the old Weight Watchers exchanges, only way less flexible. Depending on your calorie level, you may have 1 container of fat for the day.....use 1/4 at breakfast or 1/3 at lunch........how would you log this in MFP? Seems like a waste to me.