Seeds? Do you use them on meals?

Options
Hi all hope everyone is well.

Ok, my sister has given me some seeds to include in my diet, Chia and Flax.
Does anyone else use them?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    They're very good to get additional fiber and a little bit of protein. Chia pudding is quite nice, actually. Both these seeds work great in smoothies.

This reminds me of a funny story, though. One day I was feeding the birds some seed (they eat a little with pellets and veg/fruit) and I must have spilled a tiny amount on the counter top. My mother in law came home and to our amusement started eating the seed. She finally realized she was eating bird seed and exclaimed "Oh my GAWD! I'm eating BIRDSEED".
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I just had roasted pumpkin seeds with my butternut soup :D

I use millet for porridge, if that counts. Sesame seeds for roasted parsnips and treats (mixed with peanuts or peanut butter and honey). Pine seeds for salads (they are expensive, so rarely).

Never had chia seeds, have stopped trying to like flax seeds. Had to throw out quinoa, tasted like sand.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Chia seed pudding is good! I make mine with almond milk and cocoa. You can find a recipe online. A bit of ground flax seeds adds a bit of texture to smoothies. I sprinkle sunflower seeds on salad for crunch.
    ... Had to throw out quinoa, tasted like sand.

Have you tried soaking and rinsing the quinoa before using? I didn't know about that until recently and always thought it tasted like dirt. Better now.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I add Chia Seeds to my smoothies. I make an energy bite that has ground flax seed and Chia Seed. @kommodevaran I can't believe you threw out your Quinoa. There is so much you can do with it. If you cooked it in water and just ate it as is I can understand. However, I cook mine in chicken/beef or veg broth and spice it. I will cook a batch and throw it in my salad!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I may try quinoa again. But it tasted so awful I can't really say it's high on my priority list :s

Now I remember I did the same with buckwheat. Later I had a can of beef and onions in buckwheat. It was great, and that made me not only buy another can, pork in buckwheat this time, but also consider another attempt on cooking with it. We have some Eastern European/Russian stores here, and they are just crazy about their kashi.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I sometimes put a few flax seeds in yogurt to add a bit of fibre and protein and a nice crunchy texture.

Chia seeds just reminds me of chia pets so I haven't tried eating them
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of flax, but I do sometimes put some chia seeds in a bowl of berries and heavy cream or full fat greek yogurt with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Adds some texture. I do love sunflower kernels in salad!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Chia and flax seeds sprinkled on salad, soup or rice, or in smoothies
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I grind my flax seeds in a coffee grinder and put them, and chia seeds, on my oatmeal (with blueberries and milk). Delicious.
  • wendyperry252
    wendyperry252 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all reply's I shall look how to do chia pudding sounds delicious!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I eat flaxseed meal, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. Never tried Chia seeds. I'm from the era where chia seeds became hair or fur on funny little Christmas gifts aka Chia Pets. Cha cha cha chia.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to yogurt and cottage cheese and flaxseed meal and chia seeds to smoothies and oatmeal. They can be added to just about anything, especially chia seeds.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm not a bird. Don't need em'. Waste of calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm always in desperate need for more fibre...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm always in desperate need for more fibre...

I know. I'm always around 50-60. I'd consider other options if I was low too.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Chia seed pudding is good! I make mine with almond milk and cocoa. You can find a recipe online. A bit of ground flax seeds adds a bit of texture to smoothies. I sprinkle sunflower seeds on salad for crunch.
    ... Had to throw out quinoa, tasted like sand.

Have you tried soaking and rinsing the quinoa before using? I didn't know about that until recently and always thought it tasted like dirt. Better now.

I make red quinoa by cooking it in chicken broth, then adding some toasted pine nuts and wilted kale. I use it as a bed for grilled chicken and it is savory and delicious. Not sandy at all.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Ermagerdz yes! They are just amazing on salads and garnish for soups. Pumpkin seeds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans are some of my favs. Nut it up! :)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Make sure you weigh them if you decide to eat them!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds in soups sometimes. It helps thicken the broth.

I put ground flax seed in/on all kinds of foods and dishes. In fact, more than half the meals and nearly all desserts I eat have ground flax in or sprinkled on them.