I hate running

Options
I have been running for about 2-3months now. I can go for about 3k before getting fed up.

Plus i bloody hate it.

Any tips? Will I ever enjoy it?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Not every exercise is for everyone. For example, I hate step aerobics. I can't imagine ever liking it. But I love running.

Have you considered trying something else?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. There are so many different activities, I can't understand why someone would push themselves to do something they hate. Swimming, cycling, kickboxing, MMA, spinning, weightlifting, yoga, zumba, body pump, there are so many options, keep trying different ones until you find the one you love.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So don't run? Pick another activity you actually enjoy.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I started listening to audio books when I run. It is amazing how a good story can get your mind moving off of the fact that your feet are hurting and your lungs are burning!!
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I run because its free, theres no one around to see me and I can do it anywhere. Most other sports you have to 'learn'
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options
    sudmom wrote: »
    I started listening to audio books when I run. It is amazing how a good story can get your mind moving off of the fact that your feet are hurting and your lungs are burning!!

Do you buy the books? Or is there a free app?
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    there are a TON of workout videos on youtube that are free to work out to. I like to run, but don't often enough right now because it's hot. There is also a C25K app (couch to 5K) that helps you work up to that in a gradual step process. It's free. I also take my phone along and listen to music while in motion. Do the things you want to do to get into shape. I just started riding bikes again and found several friends who weren't using their bikes. I think I currently have 4. LOL. Make your exercise something you enjoy doing instead of something you are dreading.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What don't you like about it? I never liked running until I stopping running on a treadmill, ran regularly, slowed down, and could easily run a 5k. If you're bored listen to music or podcasts. But, if you don't enjoy it then don't do it.

There are plenty of other free exercises you can do such as walking, biking if you have a bike, strength training at home, videos, swimming if your public pool is free, and free in-person classes. By me, there are a bunch of free or low cost non-competitive teams that are open to all levels and don't require "learning" a sport, like kickball or softball/baseball.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options

I run because its free, theres no one around to see me and I can do it anywhere. Most other sports you have to 'learn'

I'm with most that suggest doing an activity that you enjoy. But if you feel running is your only option, can you make it a shorter time and with more intensity? HIIT? Or setting small goals within your run to make them more "interesting".

I with you in that I hate running! I also hate biking which is my daily exercise, but since I bike to work it's like mandatory that I go the full 20 miles/day...I have to get work and I have to get home. But I grouped the 10 miles each way into phases, then I try to beat my best time in each phase which always pushes me harder.

Good luck!
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Options

I'm with most that suggest doing an activity that you enjoy. But if you feel running is your only option, can you make it a shorter time and with more intensity? HIIT? Or setting small goals within your run to make them more "interesting".

I with you in that I hate running! I also hate biking which is my daily exercise, but since I bike to work it's like mandatory that I go the full 20 miles/day...I have to get work and I have to get home. But I grouped the 10 miles each way into phases, then I try to beat my best time in each phase which always pushes me harder.

Good luck!

20 miles? Blimely id be dead haha.

I am learning to ride a bike so will have to get out there more often!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. Not good at it. I can run but I have asthma and just feel total exhausted after I do it. I prefer to hike (when I have the time) or to just do 30 mins on the spin bike or rower that I have at home.

As other have said, OP, if you don't like running do something else you'd prefer to do. Running (walking or hiking) is the only thing that is "free" but used spin bikes and rowers don't cost all that much and you can use them in your home/apt anytime you like.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I also hate running. I get no enjoyment out of it. If I do run it's in short intervals. With that being said, walking is a good alternative. Or you could always do walk/jog intervals.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I hate running too. Like I seriously hate it. So I don't do it. The only time I run is when I'm trying to catch the ice cream truck. Even then, I send my kids to catch it and have them wait there for me. Lol! Find an activity that you do enjoy and problem solved:)
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I don't like running either.
    I do other cardio that I enjoy more
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You may not. Some people are just not cut out for running. I pushed myself to do it regularly for about 6 months. Despised every single second of it. I wondered why in the hell I was torturing myself like this, so I quit and found a form of cardio I can handle (stair stepper). I never looked back.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Running was my regular exercise for years and years. I only enjoyed it a few times, and then, only a little.

You might try run-walking? Run for a few minutes, walk for a few, run, walk, you get the picture.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about 2-3months now. I can go for about 3k before getting fed up.

Plus i bloody hate it.

Any tips? Will I ever enjoy it?

Don't run then. Some people aren't up to it.

More miles for the rest of us...
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was the same but stuck with it as the best exercise for me to lose weight (along with diet of course). My tips would be to set a goal for the month in km's and forget about speed and just concentrate on gradually increasing distance. E.g of you run 3x per week go for a goal of say 40km in the month and add an extra .5 to one of your runs each week then go for 45km next month etc. It becomes really satisfying.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I used to love running 60 or 100 meters and was very good at it - any more was pure hell.
    Would happily run around playing sports but just "going for a run" - yuk!

At times I've made myself run to support my sports or for a challenge. Did a few 5k races, mostly for free beer afterwards TBH but also just to challenge myself and get out of my comfort zone. Went round twice to make it 10k wondering if more distance would suddenly reveal this mythical (to me) runner's high. Nope - just made it twice as miserable.

My point is - unless you enjoy it one day your motivation to do it for the good it's doing you will wane and you will stop.
    Pick something you enjoy. I can cycle all day with a smile of my face - try everything to find what makes you happy and fit.