Women strength training and results?

Options
2»

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    As others have said, follow a progressive training program.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You guys should do an established progressive overload program if you want to get stronger. 17 lbs deadlifts are very light

This.
    Drop his "Well researched program" and do one of the above lifted programs that Shadow2soul listed.
  • Fitamdshiit
    Fitamdshiit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    annherrin wrote: »
    I started seeing changes about halfway through this program: http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
    I definitely see changes with this program and I'm on week 6: http://www.leehayward.com/workout_programs/

My stats are: 5'0"; 120 lbs; 28 years old; large frame; pear/hourglass shape

Hope this helps!

Thanks that does help! You have a similar build as me! I'm 27 5'2" and same body shape. Though my torso is weirdly short lol with big hips.
  • Fitamdshiit
    Options
    Yep I just worked out and upped my deadlift to 27lbs and honestly i think i could go a little higher. I really underestimated the strength in my legs. I felt it all over. It was amazing ( and horrible lol). We have to use dumbells right now because we don't have a barbell yet. So that might explain the odd weight numbers.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I agree and will look into a program. How do you know how much body fat you have? I definitely am going to stick with this. I look forward to my lifting days. It'll be awesome when I can see results but its also awesome to feel myself getting stronger.

For body fat, you'd need to get a DEXA scan to know with real accuracy, but you could measure with a pair of calipers for a ballpark estimate. Or guesstimate comparing to other people's photos:

women-bodyfat-1.jpg

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/826435/bodyfat-estimation-thread#latest

Glad you're going to look into a proper program. I wrapped up Strong Curves recently - it took about 2 months for there to be a noticeable difference in my legs and glutes. I saw a slight difference in my upper body by the end of the 12-week program.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi! Men can chime in too but since men and women's bodies are hormonally different figured I'd ask the girls specifically.

Really wondering how long it took you ladies to see results from strength training? I'm going on 3 weeks and my body looks exactly the same. I'm within a healthy bmi but still have some belly fat I'd like gone. I know you can't spot reduce fat. Hoping it'll still disappear though. An example of my schedule looks like this: 3x a week
    Warmup
    Plank 3x 1 min
    Squat thrust 3 sets 8 reps 12lb weights
    Deadlifts 3 sets 8 reps 17lb weights
    Bench press 3 sets 8 reps 17lb weights
    Alternate curls 3 sets 8 reps 12lb weights

I try to up my weight when i feel it getting too easy. Also, I haven't been sore since the first week. Is that normal? I'd love to have some feedback!

Accidently posted this in food and nutrition.

I'm not sure I would consider this a strength programme to be honest ...you need progression and to go heavier
    I'm sure strong curves, stronglifts 5x5 and starting strength have been recommended...choose one of them

I think it's hard to know ...I noticed strength gains within a couple of months but physique once fhe fat had dropped...I reached goal weight after 9-11 months and my physique just continues to improve slowly at maintenance...
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started seeing results around the 8 weeks mark when I started lifting following along with an Emily Skye program (which I love). I started power lifting at a local gym about a month ago and my arms are really starting to fill out. My legs are a work in progress, but I see a very notable difference in strength.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend Bret Contreras and Kellie Davis' book Strong Curves A Woman's Guide To Building A Better Butt And Body.

It's specific to women and emphasizes total body development.

No offense meant, but you will never develop strength or shapely muscle with the weight you are using. I lift very light by strength training standards and under what I can actually lift since as a runner I do not want mass. Yet I still squat 105; deadlift 100; hip thrust 105; DB row 30; Kettlebell swing 45.

Aside from appropriate weight training, nutrition is critical. If you do not eat the right balance of protein, carbs, and fat, and feed your body at the appropriate times you will not see optimal results.

• pinksarah7
    pinksarah7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I didn't really see results until I started lifting heavier. I'm not sure how long it took to notic, but I've been lifting for 3 years now & its still a work in progress. I definitely have way more definition than ever in my life but still have a ways to go to be where I want to be. Do some of your own research & try different programs to see what fits you best.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Diet is going to play a huge part. I was lifting progressively for 2 years without working on my diet, and all I got was fat.
    (I did build a significant amount of muscle and strength as well, but I started with a high body fat and gained another 30 lbs during this time, so I really did just look like I got (more) fat.) Now that I'm leaning down I'm just starting to notice the changes.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I did Stronglifts for a few months and saw some definition in my arms but I saw real results when I lost body fat. I kept lifting and it probably wasn't until a year later that I managed to keep my deficit consistently. Went from 28-30% body fat to 20%. All that lifting paid off when the fat was gone.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    depending on your goals will define what you are doing.

I see a lot of people posting they see "muscle development" after 3 months...no.

Heavy lifting while in a deficit is done to keep as much muscle as possible while losing mostly fat. It is almost impossible to gain muscle at a deficit. There are times when you can but it's not huge amounts esp for woman.

If you want to see the definition of the muscle you need to lose the fat on top of them...

You can do that with any weight including body weight workouts.

If you want to be stronger you need a progressive load lifting program such as Stronglifts 5x5 (9 months) then moved to a 3x5 format due to time contraints and then moved to 5/3/1.

I have lifted for 3 years (taking a break this summer) and it took about 12-18 months of consistent lifting and weight loss to get where I was almost happy....my legs are jammin, back fat gone, shoulders and arms defined and I am strong...

on another note...don't follow a program an amateur wrote, you are asking for trouble...even if it is your husband.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?page=13#posts-19366042
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Check out my arm in this pic....I think I'm on week 6 of Strong Lifts (I lost track, have to look back). I laughed when I saw this picture because I still have fat to lose on my arm but there is some muscle under there :) I am at 155 deadlift, 75 bench press, 95 bentover barbell 95 squat (landmine) and 62 OHP. Making progress! dhszqgz555lf.png
  • mrs_sjlarsen
    mrs_sjlarsen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi! Men can chime in too but since men and women's bodies are hormonally different figured I'd ask the girls specifically.

Really wondering how long it took you ladies to see results from strength training? I'm going on 3 weeks and my body looks exactly the same. I'm within a healthy bmi but still have some belly fat I'd like gone. I know you can't spot reduce fat. Hoping it'll still disappear though. An example of my schedule looks like this: 3x a week
    Warmup
    Plank 3x 1 min
    Squat thrust 3 sets 8 reps 12lb weights
    Deadlifts 3 sets 8 reps 17lb weights
    Bench press 3 sets 8 reps 17lb weights
    Alternate curls 3 sets 8 reps 12lb weights

I try to up my weight when i feel it getting too easy. Also, I haven't been sore since the first week. Is that normal? I'd love to have some feedback!

Accidently posted this in food and nutrition.

IMHO... you need to lift MUCH heavier. My deadlifts and squats are at 100lbs right now doing the same amount of reps as you. I guarantee you are stronger than you are giving yourself credit for. Try picking up an Olympic Bar. You will see better resolts.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I agree and will look into a program. How do you know how much body fat you have? I definitely am going to stick with this. I look forward to my lifting days. It'll be awesome when I can see results but its also awesome to feel myself getting stronger.

There's a decent ballpark estimate you can do to figure out your lean body mass, which will in turn tell you your body fat percentage. It's obviously less accurate than a DEXA scan or calipers, but not everyone has instant access to those. This needs a scale and a ribbon measure. Make sure you take all measurements just like weight - in the morning, after you poop.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/90931-measure-body-fat-percentages-calipers/
  • Fitamdshiit
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looking into two programs right now: strong curves and tnb28. Also, going to start lifting heavier, especially with my legs. My husband is on board with looking into a program too lol.
  • Antonia_I
    Antonia_I Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do StrongLifts 5x5, and other people started noticing about 5-6 weeks in, but I put on muscle a lot faster than the average woman. But like the PPs said, you have to lift heavier to see real results.
  • acaavage
    acaavage Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I saw muscle development after about 3 months of heavy lifting 3x/week.
    But what are your goals exactly? If you want your belly fat gone, that is almost entirely up to your diet, and not your strength training routine.
    Also, I'm not trying to be judgey, but your routine is strange... where did you get it? Your deadlift looks VERY light compared to your other lifts. And I didn't think you even used weights for squat thrusts? Regardless, you would be better off following a beginner's progressive lifting program (Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, etc).

Concur with above. Moving from calisthenics to heavy weights I saw a definite size and tone improvement in three months. Initially there was just a lot of DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) and I gained a rapid 4kg as my muscles retained a lot of water - just looked "puffy". As I focused on eating clean my proportions changed (lost 3" in waist) and definition came back. Diet is key - abs are made in the kitchen.