Why did i gain weight on deficit

Options
Went from 199 to 204.2 in 4 days.. Any explanation besides. Measuring food and water retention.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you have a new exercise routine? Have you had more sodium than usual? These things can cause (temporary) water weight gain.

How are you measuring your intake? Sometimes we think we're in a deficit when we aren't. Things like using measuring cups for solid food or faulty database entries can lead us to think we're eating less than we really are.
  • Shadyhuero805
    Shadyhuero805 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hit gym 4-5 dsys a week. Cardio/strength training.measure food... Seems quick to gain so much so fast.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hit gym 4-5 dsys a week. Cardio/strength training.measure food... Seems quick to gain so much so fast.

Is it usual for you to work out 4-5 days a week or is this new?
  • Shadyhuero805
    Options
    Usual 3 months straight now. Was doing good. Just blew me away how 4 days could go up so quick
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that you were dehydrated when you weighed 199? I've had a couple occurrences of doing cardio just before bed, seeing a great drop on the scales the next morning but then staying at or above that weight for a couple weeks.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any new supplements? BCAAs make me "gain" faster that first week I adjust to a higher amount but it usually mellows out after two weeks. Also when I eat more protein (180-200 grams a day), I weigh more but again it evens out. Have you increased weight training at all? Also when did you step on the scale? End of day..then yes you'll weigh more. Just my 2 cents. Carry on.
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    For that much weight so quick, its most likely water weight from increased sodium or you maybe ate more carbs than typical? Both can cause increase in water retention.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Why can't I use the explanations that are the cause (eating too much aka "measuring food" and "water retention")? You want those ruled out? Then.. there's nothing left to say.. because those are the reasons. You named them yourself.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Do you eat really light during the week so you can indulge on the weekend? I saw very low calorie (some were under 1200 and a couple around 400 calories) days last week and then Friday and Sat you ate a lot of calories and very high sodium and upped the carbs so this to me would show immensely on the scale probably more.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    The_Weaze wrote: »
    Have you pooped?

LOL! well played.

OMG I LOVE YOUR SHIRT!!!!
  • Shadyhuero805
    Options
    So what do you suggest Roxie
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    1) The deficit you thought you were in may well be a surplus
    2) Water weight pal
    3) The body isn't a calculator
    4) Undigested food
  • Shadyhuero805
    Options
    I drink a lot of water....
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    So what do you suggest Roxie

My suggestion is to consistency until you get really good with the logging process. The sodium is over two and three days worth. And the carbs are fine but when you lower carb during the week (lesser calories) the increase in carbs are gonna show on the scale no doubt. There is also more food in the gut, possibly still waste in your body, etc..

Tell me your weekly and weekend eating stragegies and let me see what I can advice better>
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I put on 4lbs on Friday night. One burger and chips all within maintenance calories but the sodium must have been through the roof. 2 days of maintenance later and I've lost it all
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Water is only good for hydration. It does nothing to aid in weight loss, It will help you flush some excess sodium but sodium can take 24 - 48 hours to balance back to normal and this too means that you do not drink TOO much to flush out all electrolytes in order to quickly try to remove the sodium from your body. There is a catch 22 to drinking too little and too much.
  • Shadyhuero805
    Options
    Honestly. Eat good during week. Weekends drink beer and eat more. Close or over maintenance.
  • Shadyhuero805
    Options
    I do measure food. And log what i digest. Just confused with macros. Feel as long as im under calorie intake. I should be good. Guess not...