Biking and food

Options
Hello people, so one day I thought about this would it be a good idea to go to Sonic before I take on an hour of cycling on the road and have a extra large shake before my workout?

Replies

• johnnylaughon
    johnnylaughon Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    First what are the calories in that shake? Will your exercise work off those extra calories or not. I would avoid it unless you add it to your daily calorie input and remove something else. if I want a treat I use Mio water enhancer. They come in a multitude of flavors and that usually satisfies my cravings for things like shakes.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Depends on your BMI. I don't burn off in an hour to warrant a xl shake.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I would probably barf, but that's just me. I prefer a small meal before and calories during. An hour of cycling will probably not burn off an XL shake.

I have shakes all the time, but I opt for the smallest.
  • VeloRat1969
    VeloRat1969 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would probably barf, but that's just me. I prefer a small meal before and calories during.

Yeah, I'd hurl, too. Way too many calories, plus dairy to boot. That's not to say I don't know a fair number of people who could/would do just fine cycling on an xl shake from sonic. I envy their gastrointestinal fortitude...
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    How much you weigh has very little effect on how many calories you burn on a bike, except when you go uphill. Most recreational cyclists would call it a good effort to burn 600 kCal in an hour on a bike. How many calories are in the shake? Finally, most cyclists have a better time without heavy food weighing them down while they ride.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You don't have to take on fuel before a one hour ride! Just ride.

When I need to fuel longer rides (3+ hours) then granola or muesli with milk would more likely be my choice of food before riding, plenty of carbs and some protein, easy to digest.
    A shake might be a reasonable alternative choice for you before long rides if that's what you enjoy.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    As in have a milk shake before? Unless, I was just going for a casual leisurely bike ride that would make me sick. Why do think this is a good idea? Are you trying to use biking to burn off the calories in the shake or because you think you need to fuel before exercise? Using exercise as punishment for eating or using food as a reward isn't really a healthy approach.

I don't mean to be mean and point out the obvious, but if you're trying to lose weight should you be getting an extra large shake? I'm not saying you shouldn't have shakes or even a extra large shake once in a while, but I'd consider getting a smaller size.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Hello people, so one day I thought about this would it be a good idea to go to Sonic before I take on an hour of cycling on the road and have a extra large shake before my workout?

Why is this a question? I don't know what you thought, but I think it's just a joke. Relax, people. haha
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    How much you weigh has very little effect on how many calories you burn on a bike, except when you go uphill. Most recreational cyclists would call it a good effort to burn 600 kCal in an hour on a bike. How many calories are in the shake? Finally, most cyclists have a better time without heavy food weighing them down while they ride.

A lot more than 600.
    A large sonic strawberry shake has 1100 KCal...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,218 Member
    Options

On bicycle rides of less than 2 hours, you don't likely need any extra calories at all. Bring a bottle or two of water. Bring a granola bar, just in case.

On bicycle rides of about 2-4 hours, you might consider consuming approx. 100 cal/hour. Bring a bottle or two of water. Bring enough granola bars or oatmeal raisin cookies so that you can consume 100 cal/hour, plus a little bit extra just in case.

On bicycle rides of more than 4 hours, you might consider consuming approx. 200 cal/hour. Bring two bottles of water. Bring enough granola bars or oatmeal raisin cookies so that you can consume 200 cal/hour, plus a little bit extra just in case.

When your bicycle ride exceeds 6 hours, you might consider stopping for lunch to top up your calories as well as consuming approx. 200 cal/hour.

These amounts vary depending on intensity and your own personal fitness level.

So in answer to your question about consuming a large number of extra calories before a 1-hour ride ... it's not necessary. Unless, of course, you are aiming to gain weight.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I think the more important question is what flavor shake are you planning on getting?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,218 Member
    Options
    Planning on that , chocolate because I heard that vanilla is made from something that's not so nice

Beans?

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I wasn't planning on burning all cals intakes in.

so what is your purpose exactly? not that i'll have an opinion, probably. just puzzled now.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Ending up with a milkshake usually happens somewhere along my ride when I ride towards town. Pedaling towards the mountains is generally more in line with my calorie goals.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Planning on that , chocolate because I heard that vanilla is made from something that's not so nice

Beans?
    Probably artificial vanilla flavoring, but not sure how it's not nice either way.