How do you cope with managing alcohol?

Options
LylaRoad
LylaRoad Posts: 24 Member
edited July 2016 in Getting Started
Hey all,
I just started here and coping ok with the restrictive calories in terms of food, but alcohol... this is so hard with a social life, which revolves a lot around events involving drink. What do you do?

Replies

• bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Save space in my calories for a few drinks and know a lot of good non-alcoholic drinks that can be ordered at a bar. If I'm going somewhere private, I tend to just bring a bottle of sparkling water with me. Gets the liquid into my body and no one asks questions.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I have one drink ( wine or vodka with tonic) and nurse it the entire event
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I've found it necessary to moderate alcohol. I limit drinks to weekends and, generally, not more than two per day. If going out, I alternate sparkling water. Finally, I do a couple cuts around 6-8 weeks each a year where I just eliminate entirely.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Save some calories to account for the drinks you want to have or think you might have. I choose lower calorie drinks (vodka and light cranberry juice usually) so I can easily cut out a few snacks in order to have a drink.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to log it, probably in advance if you are a bar drinker. Diet whatever in your vodka, gin, etc. Wine is fairly lo cal. Beer may be a downfall. Be careful eating while drinking. Drinking lowers ALL your inhibitions, including judgement when it comes to eating!
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I just stopped drinking. :smile:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol. My friends aren't heavy drinkers, and I'm naturally vivacious enough that no one notices whether I'm drinking or not.
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Some kind of flavored vodka and soda (I mean soda water, not soda pop) is my go-to. I've got a heck of a tolerance and tend to drink fast so I have to make a concerted effort to drink slowly. Another tip is to ask for your drink "tall" or in a bigger glass. Most of the time (check with the bartender) this means more mixer, not more booze. It's still a cocktail, it takes longer to drink it so you'll drink fewer, and as long it's soda or diet pop it's the same amount of calories. Cheers!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I also just don't drink very often- you can easily consume a few hundred empty calories in just a few drinks.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I only drink on Monday nights and I keep a post-it on my desktop with the amount I drank and the calories (ex: 48oz @ 25cals/oz) and then I just plug them in when I have extra cals throughout the week. I also do this with extra snacks I may have that don't exactly fit into the day I have them.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Depending on your daily allowance, even 1 or two drinks can be hard to fit in. 1200 calories a day seemed almost impossible. When I started running it became significantly easier to fit drinks in. If you can decrease the number of drinks you're having with some of the tips here, plus get more calories from exercise, it should be much easier.

That said, I'm currently doing Dry July because moderation isn't my strong suit.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Save space, pad out with extra exercise and fizzy water.

I've given up sugary shite, but no one is taking my wine away!
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    It has been one of the most difficult things for me. My problem has predominantly been drinking my calories both booze & soda. At a minimum have a drink, then a pint of water. It will at least slow you down. Most people will assume you care about how you are getting home; there is not a lot of pressure to have a drink any more so don't' worry what others will think.

When I decide I'm going out I just assume I will go over my daily calories but I still consider it a victory that I now drink substantially less.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I simply stop drinking alcohol when I'm training/dieting and drink water instead.

If you properly count calories, you can fit alcohol into your diet but, usually there's only room for 1 can/glass/shot of booze a day b4 you run out of room for real food.
  • justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ask your self what you want more . I went from drinking every weekend to only when there is function or perhaps 1 with a nice dinner out.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while "college style" drinking last year. I always brought my own drink to parties. I drank rum and Coke Zero or diet Sprite and vodka. I drank wine on occasion and generally avoided beer. I worked out extra before nights I knew I would be drinking and logged every calorie from drinks. ITS POSSIBLE, I just advise you to stick with that diet soda! Things like long islands or jungle juice are packed with calories. Try to stay away from those as much as you can.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I socialize with teetotalers. That makes it easy.
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I drink wine and have a beer occasionally but I don't do it every night, and if I do I make it fit in my macros.
  • newfitTasha
    newfitTasha Posts: 56 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm a college student and so I know the struggle all too well. ;) One of my goals is to cut down on my liquor consumption this summer and cut it out entirely for this upcoming school year (sept-may). I've been occasionally sipping wine coolers & a little beer lately but my helpful strategy has been only drinking at social events w/ friends and fam or waiting a couple weeks in between drinks. Luckily I work more than I go out so this also helps. I tend to smoke a joint to unwind after a shift rather than drink. But that's just me. Just ask yourself, do I absolutely need this alcohol right now? If so get a nip or 2, don't get a whole bottle ! Hope this helps any fellow students facing temptations and struggles. :D
  • teamvic
    teamvic Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do terribly, its my nemisis. If you find the secret please share. If you do I promise to buy the next round. I mean non-alcoholic beverage!