Need suggestions!....Tired of Meal Prepping with Chicken!

Options

Replies

• Tantally
    Tantally Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've got a great meal from Joe Wicks book "Lean in 15" ground beef with smoked paprika and cumin (chilli flakes in wanting hot) serve with avocado and full fat Greek yoghurt...freeze portion sizes. Fab!!
  • IAmDonaldC
    IAmDonaldC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @RockinTerri I don't have much freezer room, but I do like the idea. If only, I had the space.
  • Tantally
    Tantally Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well it only takes 15 mins to cook so you don't really have to freeze it
  • IAmDonaldC
    Options
    @shinycrazy Sign me up for this one! I need a meatless day and the veggie burger sounds good. So you make your own or is there a ready made brand you can suggest as your healthy favorite? :blush:
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    We have veggie burgers or fish at least once a week. Veggie burgers make for an easy filling meal. I'll cut mine up tonight and eat it on a salad instead of a bun.

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I tend to do pastas because 12-16oz dry pasta that is cooked with veggies, some meat like sausage or chicken and a little parmesan (no sauce) are low cost and high volume without being too high calorie. In the winter I like to make soups and stews for the same reason.
  • IAmDonaldC
    Options
    @kristysaurus Thanks Kristy. Sounds like my kind of eats. I do like stirfry meals because its quick and healthy. I will try stiryfrying pork. Your recipe suggestions sounds delicious.
    I cook up beef or pork strips and use them to make a stirfry. If you leave all the veggies a little undercooked when you reheat later in the week they will be at a perfect crisp level and not overcooked. It even freezes well

Pulled pork in the slow cooker (using pork loin, salt, a little bbq sauce and seasonings like paprika, cayenne). We eat this as a protein with some salad or steamed veggies

• clg1241
    clg1241 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try livestrong.com they have a lot of informtion including recipies and training. menshealth.com also has some interesting information.
  • IAmDonaldC
    edited July 2016
    Options
    WOW!! THANKS EVERYONE! All of these suggestions sound great and definitely reawakened my tastebuds!! I was at the end of the road with chicken. LOL

One thing I definitely gathered from this discussion post here today is experimenting more with pork and ground meats! Trying precooked shrimp as a "on-the-go" lunch idea was great too. There is also a "Curry Ground Turkey" idea that @ARGriffy and "Marine Corps Mash" that @usmcmp shared that I can't wait to try. Check it out on this post. I am salivating just think about all of the great suggestions and ideas!!

I really appreciate all the replies! I wish I can reply to them all but work duty calls....

Have a great day everyone!!

-Don
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Our family raises beef and pork..so chicken is usually a TREAT in our house...but on any given night we usually have Mexican: enchiladas, tacos..but also open face flat bread cheeseburger pizzas, meatloaf (my fav), beef stroganoff with greek yogurt instead of sourcream/cream cheese..Another plus is salmon: I make a marinade of lime juice, salt, pepper, a little brown sugar, and lemon wedges...YUM!
  • IAmDonaldC
    Options
    @Tantally This is one for the books I will be trying. I need to check our the book you referred to as well....Joe Wicks "Lean in 15". Btw....Sorry for the confusion, my last response regarding freezer space was to Rockinterri, not yours. :smile:
    Tantally wrote: »
    I've got a great meal from Joe Wicks book "Lean in 15" ground beef with smoked paprika and cumin (chilli flakes in wanting hot) serve with avocado and full fat Greek yoghurt...freeze portion sizes. Fab!!

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Also, you might add some fish and/or vegetarian options - beans (chili, burritos, more), soy (veggie burgers, veggie dogs, tofu, tempeh, seitan).
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @shinycrazy Sign me up for this one! I need a meatless day and the veggie burger sounds good. So you make your own or is there a ready made brand you can suggest as your healthy favorite? :blush:
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    We have veggie burgers or fish at least once a week. Veggie burgers make for an easy filling meal. I'll cut mine up tonight and eat it on a salad instead of a bun.

I really like Morningstar Grillers Original. The macros are good for me, 5g of carbs, 6g fat, 15g protein and 130 calories. My hubs eats two and I do as well on occasion if calories/hunger allows. They do wonderfully in the oven and get nice and crisp.

https://www.morningstarfarms.com/products/morningstar-farms-grillers-original-product.html#nutrition-modal

ETA: My hubs just made spicy ground pork patties with lean pork that were awesome on salad or as a sandwich. Just mixed red pepper flakes, paprika, garlic, file, and I'm sure other stuff in the ground meat and made patties. He also grinds our own beef and we cook that up and eat 2 or 3 servings each out of that over a couple days.
  • IAmDonaldC
    Options
    @shinycrazy Thanks for this information! I will check out this brand. Great macro profile the Morningstar Burger has!
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    @shinycrazy Thanks for this information! I will check out this brand. Great macro profile the Morningstar Burger has!

yjp2vo6bfdq6.jpg
    Dinner is served
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use chicken on weekends only. Week days are for pork, beef, salmon, and sometimes shrimp. I don't want to get bored of my small repertoire of chicken cooking skills.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Dinner the other night was crockpot balsamic beef roast. :smile: I also do a lot with very lean ground beef, have created my own (healthier) crockpot variant of Olive Garden's Zuppa Tuscana (using sausage), and love shrimp and scallops.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I get TONS of recipes from Pinterest! If you check out my food diary I have a lot of recipes on there from the past 2 weeks. The ingredients aren't listed since I saved them as recipes but feel free to send me a message if any spike your interest. And if my diary isn't open to the public (which I don't think it is) feel free to send me a friend request :)

A few things I've made: Chicken & Shrimp Coconut Curry, Mango-Jalapeno Lamb Meatballs, Turkey Meatloaf (I add different sauces to give it a BBQ flavor, or Asian flavor). I also love making kabobs with flank steak, shrimp, and veggies. Salmon (again, I'll add different sauces or marinades to mix up the flavors. Straight-up lemon pepper and garlic is good too).

I've also made a low-cal BBQ sauce and a cauliflower cream sauce (comparable to a light alfredo) to make chicken more interesting without using jarred sauces that have a lot of sodium and sugar.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    In the past week we have had Chicken Caprese, Cashew Chicken, grilled Ribeye, Beef Stir Fry, Beef Fajitas, tonight we had pizza (the sons had pizza, I had pizza topping casserole), tomorrow night we are having Caramelized Onion and Bacon Smothered Pork Chops and Friday night we will have sub sandwiches (our grocery store does footling specials on Fridays).
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I like to prep a black bean/chick pea salad
    - 1 Can of rinsed black beans (reduced sodium)
    - 1 Can of rinsed chick peas (reduced sodium)
    - Red onion/cilantro to taste
    - Taco / fajita seasoning
    - Shredded chicken ( :| ) or without is still really good!

I also LOVE making lean beef or turkey meatballs over bed of sauted zucchini.

Avocado tuna salad :p

I'm going to love this thread! Thanks for the great ideas everyone!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I use a countertop foreman grill which I love, so I mention it because of the fish. Once it's hot I throw the fish on, close it, and it's done in 1-2 min. First time I've ever been successful with fish! This method works for any filet or steak cut of fish