Lost my way in what to eat

Options
I need as much help as I can get. I've practically gained 5kg back from being lazy and now I need to get back to losing weight. However I've completely lost my way, almost forgotten what to buy and cook for lunch and dinners. I'd like some easy enough to make and not too many fancy ingredients. What are your favourite quick and easy go to weight loss meals?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I went to the grocery store and wandered the aisles looking at shelves and reading labels.
  • 1nprgr3s
    1nprgr3s Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Soups and salads are my go to. I prepare both in advance and eat them through the week.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I buy that Costco vegetable tray, eat it up, then buy another. The only thing that doesn't get eaten is the dip. I eat a little of it, but my husband doesn't eat it at all.

I eat mainly fresh vegetables and fruit, often raw, and I'm still adjusting my meat consumption down. I do, as does @1nprgr3s , make a soup about once a week. If the weather was as awful (as some of you are going through), I would eat cold soups. Nummmm!

I recently discovered a new-to-me vegetable that I fell in love with: fennel! If you don't know this vegie, there's a largish bulb at the bottom, it has stems sticking up that look a lot like skinny celery, then it has ferny leaves like those of a carrot. Oh, yum! Cut of the stems to about two inches above the bulb and toss, unless you want to use the fern-parts for garnish. The lower stems and bulb can be chopped and eaten raw, cooked, or in salads.

This makes me think: I should go in the grocery aisle and look for other vegetables I've not yet had!

You likely know this:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=nutrition+plate&view=detailv2&qpvt=nutrition+plate&id=8F56C4DAC6B484875B9AB80B1C060E67F0959471&selectedindex=5&ccid=r1/Agh5N&simid=608001416948223490&thid=OIP.Maf5fc0821e4d3e345da1bea4c56ec9c0H0&mode=overlay&first=1
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't do weight loss meals - I may misinterpret you, but just to emphasize, no foods or meals make you magically lose weight, only a calorie deficit does that. My food tastes great (to me), and I don't do any fancy cooking. I don't usually cook lunch, that meal is more breakfast-y than dinner-y, but sometimes a salad or noodles, which I never eat for breakfast. Breakfast is typically crispbread and milk, or porridge with butter + fruit and raw vegetable. Lunch repeat but different items, maybe hot cocoa, or smoothie. Evening meal: nuts, fruit and vegetable, or nut butter if the fruit calls for that, maybe cheese, or smoothie (banana, milk, fruit, or maybe peanut butter+cocoa).

My dinner routine has gone through an evolution; every week day now has its own "theme" (soup/stew - pork/chicken - leftovers - salmon/herring - whatever/surprise - pancakes/pizza/toast - lamb/beef). I also have around 12 favorite casserole dinners, so I get a 12 weeks rotation plan, and then one planned "off" week between cycles. Fish and meat dinners is just protein+starch+vegetables, usually pork chop, chicken thigh or wings, salmon filet, pickled herring, lamb chops, t-bone steak; mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes, or boiled potatoes, ear of corn, rice, barley; frozen peas or green beans, onions, oven roasted brussel sprouts or parsnips, boiled artichocke or asparagus. I combine to taste. Soups/stews are blended vegetable soups - green peas, spinach, mushroom, cauliflower, carrot, butternut squash; spaghetti, chili, risotto, minestrone soup, onion soup. Fridays are reserved for experimenting, readymeals, any foods that don't fit any category properly.

It may sound complicated but it really isn't. It gives me variety and predictability and I get through all my favorite meals. It also creates a good balance between lazy and more labour intensive cooking. I have come to love cooking as I found my love for food, and I think happy time spent in the kitchen is never wasted.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I eat the same type of things as before, just in smaller portions, and rebalanced to increase the amount of fruit and veg, swap in whole grains and increase protein. These changes do not directly affect weight loss, they just make me less hungry so I can be happy with smaller portions.

I do eat more eggs than I used to, they are excellent for keeping me going and stopping me being hungry.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Would it matter for you if the eggs were in eggnog (or drank) or if they were eaten? Would you feel as full either way?
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    u4v6xephffi8d.png

Buy this, it has made my meal prep so much easier
  • fitgoals23
    fitgoals23 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can try using egg whites or egg white products like Egg Beaters for a wide variety of dishes. You can be really creative with scrambles, omelettes, frittatas, etc., that are low in calories & fat while high in protein. It is really simple and quick and can be done a million ways. Include whatever veg and meat you have and scramble up something delicious! This is a consistent go-to of mine as it is fast, filling, packs protein, and uses up whatever leftovers I have in the fridge.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I often cook a whole crockpot of chicken (I like thighs because they stay moist but you can use the kind of chicken you like) and use it through out the week for things like grilled chicken salad, chicken salad sandwiches, chicken Alfredo made with zoodles (zucchini noodles), bbq chicken, chicken stirfry, chicken fried cauliflower "rice", sometimes I just snack on it cold if I'm munchy:) So much you can do with chicken:)
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I often cook a whole crockpot of chicken (I like thighs because they stay moist but you can use the kind of chicken you like) and use it through out the week for things like grilled chicken salad, chicken salad sandwiches, chicken Alfredo made with zoodles (zucchini noodles), bbq chicken, chicken stirfry, chicken fried cauliflower "rice", sometimes I just snack on it cold if I'm munchy:) So much you can do with chicken:)

I do this too, then I shred the chicken and freeze it in single portion sizes. It makes things so easy.