Amtrak Food

Options
lulalacroix
lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
I'm gonna be traveling via Amtrak next week, for 3 days, and it's my first time using this service. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the food items available and if anyone has any recommendations. I'm mainly interested in more of the lower calorie options.

TIA.

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    They have the info on the Amtrak site for the various types of trips & trains. However, sometimes they are out of something that you are counting on. So I always carry food with me as a back up. What type of food plan are you on?
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm gonna be traveling via Amtrak next week, for 3 days, and it's my first time using this service. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the food items available and if anyone has any recommendations. I'm mainly interested in more of the lower calorie options.

TIA.

It's been a while, so I don't know what their current options are. Maybe they have information on the website?

I will say, it's expensive. I would recommend bringing your own food.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    I clicked on about four of the menus for various trains and they had the calories listed.

https://amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241305537990

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

That's just 2 of the 14 menus listed on the link I shared. I used that one since the OP didn't say which actual one of the Amtrak lines she would be traveling.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Take protein bars, almonds, beef jerky, sandwiches.
    $7 for a hot dog? Really?
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    Let me be more specific. I have looked at the Amtrak menus online. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for foods that actually tasted good. I'm not concerned with the price. Just quantity, quality, and taste.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would bring as much of your own food as possible. I don't know about you but a hot dog from a train doesn't sound really appeasing to me! Lmao!
    Just carry some snacks with you in case you don't like or they don't have any foods you want. Almonds, nuts, protein bars, bottled water can all be easily carried in a bag on board with you.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I believe the food quality is on par with airplane food, not too bad not great.
  • JaneSnowe
    Options
    Let me be more specific. I have looked at the Amtrak menus online. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for foods that actually tasted good. I'm not concerned with the price. Just quantity, quality, and taste.

I thought the quantity was skimpy and the taste was forgettable. I ate breakfast, for what it's worth.

Which route will you be on?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    A little of topic but I never considered taking Amtrak for a trip because of the time. For me it is just easier and quicker to fly but my child would absolutely love to take a trip on a train! Have any of you had a sleeping car? Where you able to actually sleep? For me, it sounds like one of those things that only children would enjoy? My kid would love to sleep on a train but I'd rather be in a hotel.
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

I thought the quantity was skimpy and the taste was forgettable. I ate breakfast, for what it's worth.

I will be on the Sunset Limited and Coast Starlight trains. There really isn't many food options on the train and there's no way I will be eating pizza and hot dogs (yuck for me).

Does anyone know if I can debark the train at stops and if there are restaurants or convenience shops at the train depots?
  • JaneSnowe
    edited July 2016
    Options

I will be on the Sunset Limited and Coast Starlight trains. There really isn't many food options on the train and there's no way I will be eating pizza and hot dogs (yuck for me).

Does anyone know if I can debark the train at stops and if there are restaurants or convenience shops at the train depots?

I don't remember anyone getting off at stops; I don't think they're long enough to get off, go somewhere, and return. Also, a lot of the stations were far from anywhere with food. I am pretty sure there was NO food at the stations we used (maybe a crappy vending machine, now that I think about it). On the return trip, the train was very late and people were using the data on their phones to look up Pizza Hut's phone number just to get something to eat. Thankfully someone shared the number with us because we had no way to get it on our own.

Be very prepared. The trains often run late, and the night that we ordered a pizza not only was it late but when it finally arrived we had to wait THREE MORE HOURS because the crew needed to rest.

I've used Amtrak for two round trips and would do it again, despite everything. Seats are ok and you can bring a lot of luggage. But I would for sure put a lot of planning into staying comfortable and fending for myself on a long, slow trip. Oh, you might want to bring a blanket. I remember being cold.

One last thing about the dining car. I wanted to try it for the novelty, so it was an OK experience. But, you'll have to share tables with strangers. Just something to keep in mind if you're not comfortable with that. I don't mind strangers, but it was awkward having them right across from me having their own personal conversation while I was eating breakfast.

P.S. If you have other questions about Amtrak I'll try to answer.
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Thank you, but as I responded earlier, I have seen the menus. I was looking for recommendations.
  • lulalacroix
    Options

I don't remember anyone getting off at stops; I don't think they're long enough to get off, go somewhere, and return. Also, a lot of the stations were far from anywhere with food. I am pretty sure there was NO food at the stations we used (maybe a crappy vending machine, now that I think about it). On the return trip, the train was very late and people were using the data on their phones to look up Pizza Hut's phone number just to get something to eat. Thankfully someone shared the number with us because we had no way to get it on our own.

Be very prepared. The trains often run late, and the night that we ordered a pizza not only was it late but when it finally arrived we had to wait THREE MORE HOURS because the crew needed to rest.

I've used Amtrak for two round trips and would do it again, despite everything. Seats are ok and you can bring a lot of luggage. But I would for sure put a lot of planning into staying comfortable and fending for myself on a long, slow trip. Oh, you might want to bring a blanket. I remember being cold.

One last thing about the dining car. I wanted to try it for the novelty, so it was an OK experience. But, you'll have to share tables with strangers. Just something to keep in mind if you're not comfortable with that. I don't mind strangers, but it was awkward having them right across from me having their own personal conversation while I was eating breakfast.

P.S. If you have other questions about Amtrak I'll try to answer.

That's all great info. Thanks. I'm really leaning towards barely eating their food. I'm just gonna try to come up with 3 days worth of food to bring along. I'm not a giant fan of eating many packaged foods, so I'll just have to cope. I can eat at my seat correct? I thought I read that if I go into the dining car then I have to order food.

It does seem like I can bring tons of luggage. And since it's 3 days I will definitely bring a blanket and small pillow, also probably eye mask.

Did you sit in the coach section? Also wondering if you attempted to upgrade once you entered the train. I might do it depending on the cost.

Thanks for your train wisdom. :smile:
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We had a sleeper ticket half way across the country. Yes, you can sleep if you're not a light sleeper. On our trip people tended to go to bed early and get up early. Breakfast is probably the best meal - I had oatmeal and fruit, gave my husband the yogurt. For the other meals, choose the best option and eat what you want on the plate. You don't have to clean up your plate. Meals are included in the price of a sleeper ticket. Take your own healthy snacks and maybe some bottled water. Sleeper compartments are small so you need to think about a couple of carry on size bags in the compartment. There is also a place in the car to put another larger bag or two per ticket.
    On some or most routes you can check more bags. The train does not stop long enough for you to get meals at stations even assuming there is food available near by. We went west - the scenary was beautiful and you see things you can't if you go by road. If you have to keep a tight schedule, the train is not for you. It often runs late, sometimes very late. Even so, we enjoyed our trip and would do it again.
  • JaneSnowe
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @lulalacroix

Yes, you can eat at your seats. The dining car is only for those ordering food there, but there was a section just before it with tables for anyone to use --I think so any way; we weren't interested in finding out but there was no one keeping tabs like there was in the dining area. Edit: their website says this: "You may bring your own food and beverages onboard for consumption at your seat or private Sleeping Car accommodations. However, you can only consume food and beverages purchased in Dining and Lounge Cars in those cars. Personal food and beverages are allowed in the upper level of Superliner Sightseer Lounges."

The seats we had were nothing special but more comfortable than plane seats. More space and they recline farther back. I guess it is called coach class now that you mention it. We didn't try to upgrade, but our trips were only overnighters--maybe 8 hours or so-- and we were ok sleeping in the seats.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I take Amtrak regularly. Amtrak food is pretty gross and it's absurdly expensive. It's basically airplane food. Everything is pre-made and very basic. Buy something in the station before, if you're leaving from a station that has a lot of food options, or bring something with you. You can bring whatever food on you want and eat it in your seat.

You go to the cafe car to buy food. The cafe has separate seating, which you can sit in too. If you plan on doing work on the train, I recommend trying to get a seat in the cafe car as soon as you board. The tray tables are small in coach. If you don't get an immediate seat, you probably will have trouble getting a table later on because people often sit at the tables the whole ride because you get more space.

Also, the last or first coach car depending on which way you are traveling is the quiet car. Unless you have children with you, plan on taking calls during the ride, or plan on talking with someone you're traveling with I highly recommend sitting there.

You can upgrade from coach to business or first class, but you'll need to pay the difference between the ticket prices. If you want to switch your ticket do so now. The ticket prices only get more expensive as you get closer to the travel date, and there is no discount for switching day of. If you're going to upgrade to business, consider just switching to the Acela train. It's much nicer (no coach all business class and up), more comfortable, and faster.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I just get a sleeping car and bring my own food and alcohol. But the steak I had years ago was excellent!
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    So much great info. Thanks all! I didn't get a sleeping car because it was over $1,000 for the trip. I thought it was too pricey. Although I probably would have loved the privacy. I'm traveling alone.

I think I've heard what I needed regarding the food that is served. I'm working on the most amazing list of food that does not need refrigeration or cooking.