Not here for weight loss/gain

Options
neweuquol
neweuquol Posts: 62 Member
edited July 2016 in Introduce Yourself
I am not technically "new" but my life has changed enough for a new introduction.

I started a low carb, ketogenic diet yesterday. I was diagnosed with a very aggressive and rare cancer in May of last year. I am at the point in my treatment where I am trying anything with scientific data to back up what I decide to do. When I go in for chemo Wednesday, my oncologist and I will be discussing a clinical trial again to help me make a decision whether I want to stop chemo and join a clinical trial using targeted drug therapies (that have some data but are unproven).

For any vegan trolls, I know the science is not perfect but it makes sense to me. If you want to show me clinical trial reports from a massive number of people using a vegan diet I will read it but know this decision was made after weeks (months even) of reading scientific literature about ketogenic diets, including clinical trials where people who had no hope saw tumor shrinkage or stability in disease for a prolonged period of time.

Anyone else here for cancer treatment/recovery? You do not have to be keto. I will respect your choices as long as you respect mine.

Replies

• haney1722
    haney1722 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am not here for the same reasons as you but I have read the keto diet / cancer studies and agree that it makes sense! You just never know until you try it, so why not. I suggest getting your oncologists opinion, they may be negative about it (saying it doesn't work) but as long as it won't harm you go for it!
    I just started keto 2 days ago after reading it can be beneficial for migraines. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find others in your situation that can give you some input! :)
  • tboz08202016
    tboz08202016 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you!
  • neweuquol
    Options
    haney1722 wrote: »
    I am not here for the same reasons as you but I have read the keto diet / cancer studies and agree that it makes sense! You just never know until you try it, so why not. I suggest getting your oncologists opinion, they may be negative about it (saying it doesn't work) but as long as it won't harm you go for it!
    I just started keto 2 days ago after reading it can be beneficial for migraines. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find others in your situation that can give you some input! :)

If you are not already there, there are a few keto groups here. One of the most active is "The Low Carb Daily Forum." Not everyone is keto but a lot of people are keto on that forum.
  • neweuquol
    Options
    Prayers for you!

Thank you.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    prayers and hope that whatever you choose will work to benefit you and your health. I have a friend with cancer and she takes a pill for cancer.sorry you are going through this.