Reasons you eat whatever it is you eat

Options
cuckoo_jenibeth
cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
I have 2 friends -a married couple- that have been vegetarians (not vegan) for more than 25 years. They recently made the decision to incorporate fish into their diet, but abstain from all other animal meat (pescatarian). Their decisions are based solely on nutrition, though they freely acknowledge that these decisions are sometimes also made based on animal rights/ethical beliefs.
I have spent a lot of time over the years discussing this with them and I know that it has influenced me to include more vegetarian options into my diet.
Did you make a conscious decision in your dietary intake? Do you simply eat as you did whilst growing up?
Just curious. No judgement...

Replies

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    Yes , i started making the ethical choice for myself with no influence from my family or friends to be a vegetarian when i was a teenager

then again when i went vegan 5 years ago i did not know any vegans back then i just decided it was the right thing and therefore i would do it

both decisions were made over night and i never looked back
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 10 years. I started eating meat again when I was pregnant with my fourth child. I started craving meat really bad to the point I was dreaming about it. Eventually I just started eating it again. It was hard because I was so used to eating vegetarian, but I always ate vegetarian primarily for health reasons. I wouldn't go back to eating vegetarian now because I feel so much healthier now but I still like to eat vegetarian meals. I base almost most of my food decisions on health and/or fitness goals. I never ever could put on muscle as a vegetarian but now it is so much easier because I eat alot of protein.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I eat animals. I eat plants. I eat what ever is on my plate.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I eat anything that used to have a face.
    Why?
    Because delicious.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,883 Member
    Options
    I eat a majority whole food plant-based diet. Very high carb and low fat..I do eat fish (salmon) on occasion and I limit dairy and I don't eat eggs either. I eat like this to keep my blood vessels clean and I need the carbs as energy for endurance sports.
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a plain meat and potato girl. Oh and chips,Chocolate
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I was not raised vegetarian, I just preferred vegetarian meals more like beans and potatoes...we never had much vegetables growing up that weren't canned. I rarely would eat burgers or anything like that, didn't like chicken unless fried unrecognizable in strip or nugget form. Same thing with fish.

I decided to become vegetarian because I preferred eating that way and I found out how animals were treated and realized that I do not need to eat them to survive or to be healthy. When I eat vegetarian I feel better spiritually and physically. I eat far more healthy this way too so that's an added bonus to see what all types of foods are out there besides fried junk and canned vegetables.
  • KeepingUpWithKari
    KeepingUpWithKari Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Cause I'm sad... Lol
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    jenibethbu wrote: »
    I have 2 friends -a married couple- that have been vegetarians (not vegan) for more than 25 years. They recently made the decision to incorporate fish into their diet, but abstain from all other animal meat (pescatarian). Their decisions are based solely on nutrition, though they freely acknowledge that these decisions are sometimes also made based on animal rights/ethical beliefs.
    I have spent a lot of time over the years discussing this with them and I know that it has influenced me to include more vegetarian options into my diet.
    Did you make a conscious decision in your dietary intake? Do you simply eat as you did whilst growing up?
    Just curious. No judgement...

In my opinion, it is necessary to make a conscious decision in what I eat every day. A lot of us gained weight in the first place by adopting the poorest eating habits growing up. Whether it's counting calories or avoiding certain foods, or cutting portions or whatever, we HAVE TO be mindful of what we ingest. Unless of course you don't mind being fat and feeling like *kitten*.
  • matti422
    matti422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've always preferred vegetables to meat, and started eating pescatarian as a New Year's resolution this year and have been pretty good. I did it because of the environmental impact of meat production. I still eat local eggs (my neighbor has chickens) and cheese, and most of my fish is local, too - living in the pacific northwest has great food benefits. I also eat deer and elk my husband successfully hunts (which isn't a lot).
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, once removed. I eat the animals that eat the plants.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I think I could follow a pescatarian diet fairly easily (though not vegan) if I only had to prepare food for myself. However, my husband and my son would revolt at the very thought! I seldom prepare red meat and they have adjusted fairly well, but both say that is as far as they compromise! Baby steps!
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I'm a plain meat and potato girl. Oh and chips,Chocolate

This
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I knew my growing up diet wasn't the best and I was bored (hamburger helper, peanut butter sandwiches and pasta were super regular) when I was an adult so I learned how to make more meals that I would enjoy but I also have a much larger budget than my parents did. I'm slowly learning about good options and expanding my taste horizons.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Why?
    Because delicious.

Yeah this... just don't give me the face. I feel they're still looking at me. I'll eat the rest of the body though, no problem. Lol!! I know, I'm weird. :D
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Why?
    Because delicious.

Yeah this... just don't give me the face. I feel they're still looking at me. I'll eat the rest of the body though, no problem. Lol!! I know, I'm weird. :D

I have no objection to eating the face either. Some animals have really delicious cheeks and jaws.