Recommendation for a good but inexpensive pedometer?

Options
I think I am so far from the recommended 10,000 steps a day, it's not at all funny.
Most of my steps probably come from the hour of exercise I try to squeeze in most days - but the rest of the day? I add probably very little.
I need a pedometer to keep me aware - but I do not want to spend much.
I don't want any extra fun gadgets on it, no bells and whistles - just a reliable pedometer that I can wear on the bra or hip to show me how I do on my steps.

Thank you so much!

Replies

• ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone made in the last 3 years or so? If you do it likely has a pedometer built into it that you just need to turn on.
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I inherit phones from my husband :-) and he says we might be able to download an app - but the phone was manufactured more than 3 years ago. If it was up to me, a phone should last 50 years or so.

That being said, I think a phone would be too big to wear around all the time. I need something smaller.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    A lot of smartphones have built in pedometers, but if you don't plan to carry your phone on you 100% of the time then maybe look into Misfit (they start around $30 and can be synced to MFP).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I feel your frustration. I got a cheap Omron HJ 112 years ago (about $20). It is great, counts steps (aerobic & regular). But now the price is through the roof on Amazon.

Simple pedometers are getting impossible to find. Everything out there is trying to copy FitBit.....at near FitBit prices. The MisFit (mentioned by @shadow2soul) seems like a good idea. Syncing with MFP is going to give you a day-to-day match against your activity level. Great for maintenance.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How much

A basic step counter can be cheap..under $10 easy

If you want one with an app and synch to MFP then Fitbit zip ...I actually prefer to the more expensive versions
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have a question for those who suggested Misfit. I just looked on Amazon and while it looks cool is there a way to view your steps right on Misfit or do you have to sync it to another device to see the steps you have taken?
  • shadow2soul
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have a question for those who suggested Misfit. I just looked on Amazon and while it looks cool is there a way to view your steps right on Misfit or do you have to sync it to another device to see the steps you have taken?

You have to sync it, I think...

There are lights on the outside, so it's possible that they might light up to show you progress towards your goal.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    I heard some less expensive pedometers do not measure all steps, such as those you casually take to the bathroom or kitchen, etc - and they only start counting after you start on a more sustained walk.
    I need one that counts EVERYTHING. What would you recommend for this?
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    There are tons of free apps that do this.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    There are tons of free apps that do this.

Would you mind giving me a concrete example? I don't know anything about step trackers and I tend to be very low tech.

Also, if it's an app....would I have to have the phone on me all day? It's kind of large for carrying it around all day.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How much do you want to spend? And do you want to synch data automatically or just have a read out?

(Phone apps are quite inaccurate...it's a secondary function)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I like the Up Move by Jawbone. Got mine new on Amazon for under $30, it's almost as basic as the ($15 more) FitBit Zip- but does sleep tracking which the Zip does not, syncs with MFP, don't have to carry phone around all day - perfect for me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    Options
    I heard some less expensive pedometers do not measure all steps, such as those you casually take to the bathroom or kitchen, etc - and they only start counting after you start on a more sustained walk.

There is a reason the more expensive pedometers do it this way. it protects against counting non step movements.

Look: save your money buy a Fitbit Zip... have fun with challenges and all that stuff. You just want accurate step counting and no integration with MFP? Yamax 200 series is considered quite accurate.

But, you can save yourself some agony and estimate! It is about 100 steps per minute when you're moving around at a moderate pace. So most people require a good solid 1.5 hours of activity to hit the magic 10000 step mark.

• wisdomfromyou
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

There is a reason the more expensive pedometers do it this way. it protects against counting non step movements.

Look: save your money buy a Fitbit Zip... have fun with challenges and all that stuff. You just want accurate step counting and no integration with MFP? Yamax 200 series is considered quite accurate.

But, you can save yourself some agony and estimate! It is about 100 steps per minute when you're moving around at a moderate pace. So most people require a good solid 1.5 hours of activity to hit the magic 10000 step mark.

PAV,

You are correct - I just want accurate step counting without any syncing features as unfortunately, I do not have time for too much tracking and recording. I just need to know at the end of each day that I reached the 10,000 steps goal so I won't qualify as sedentary anymore.

I am also interested in longevity and wearability. I need to be able to wear the pedometer like a watch (on wrist) and I do not want the gadget to break too soon from daily wear.

Would the Fitbit zip still be the best for my purposes?

Thank you so much!
  • shadow2soul
    edited July 2016
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

PAV,

You are correct - I just want accurate step counting without any syncing features as unfortunately, I do not have time for too much tracking and recording. I just need to know at the end of each day that I reached the 10,000 steps goal so I won't qualify as sedentary anymore.

I am also interested in longevity and wearability. I need to be able to wear the pedometer like a watch (on wrist) and I do not want the gadget to break too soon from daily wear.

Would the Fitbit zip still be the best for my purposes?

Thank you so much!

If you want to wear it on your wrist, then Garmin VivoFit is a better option. It's around the same price point as the Zip.
    VivoFit

VivoFit 2
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Fitbit zip - I had one for the last three years and it still works...Clip it to my pocket, belt, bra - depending on what I wear. You do get wristbands that you can keep them in - I just don't like wearing anything on my arms....
  • wisdomfromyou
    Options
    Oh, goodness - when I type Fitbit Zip on Amazon just about one million things show up. I wouldn't know which one is the actual product to by to save my life.
    If anyone can provide a link, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • shadow2soul
    Options
    Oh, goodness - when I type Fitbit Zip on Amazon just about one million things show up. I wouldn't know which one is the actual product to by to save my life.
    https://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Tracker-Magenta/dp/B0095PZHRC/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1468510258&sr=8-3&keywords=fitbit+zip
  • wisdomfromyou
    edited July 2016
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Tracker-Magenta/dp/B0095PZHRC/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1468510258&sr=8-3&keywords=fitbit+zip

Thank you, shadow!

Do you happen to know whether the FitBit Zip can also be placed into a band-wrist and worn like that or does it only work by clipping it on you somewhere?

I am thinking I would prefer to wear the pedometer on the wrist but I suppose in my bra should be OK too. I am just afraid it might be noticeable from underneath and might ruin the outfit.

I DO intend to wear it every day so I know where I stand steps-wise.