Arriving to work sweaty

I bike 10 miles to work everyday. I love the exercise but it's really taken a toll on my workday appearance. My office doesn't have a shower so essentially I take a 'hoe bath' and I usually leave my hair up in its nasty sweaty braid or bun. I'm so sick of it, I'm nearly ready to shave my head! Since I love my long auburn locks Ive been trying to figure out a solution. Everyone knows that I ride my bike so I doubt they are judging me but I just wish I could still wear my hair down.

I've decided that a small blow dryer and dry shampoo could be my answer from reading similar struggles.

Does anyone else have this problem and have any tips?

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Is there a gym near your office you can join? That would allow you to shower and clean up.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Is there a gym near your office you can join? That would allow you to shower and clean up.

Great idea. There is one but I can't afford it.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Well you could always.....
    Eh, who am I kidding, I got nothing other than good for you for biking in to work. If they actually had real bike lanes where I live I'd do it (of course we do have a shower at work).
    What exactly is dry shampoo? Seen that mentioned a couple times and haven't a clue.

• abitofbliss
    Haha @piperdown44 dry shampoo is exactly what it sounds like. Shampoo you can use in between washes. It's almost like a deodorant spray.

The idea of blow drying sweaty hair is cringeworthy but I've read it's not so bad.
  • sunnybeaches105

No Planet Fitness?
  • abitofbliss
    @sunnybeaches105
    There is but it's about my halfway point and not on my way. Not sure it would even be worth it.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member

No Planet Fitness?

They have showers? The one I had the misfortune of being dragged to that one time didn't have any.
  • sunnybeaches105

No Planet Fitness?

They have showers? The one I had the misfortune of being dragged to that one time didn't have any.

I was spitballing. I've never been to one
  • piperdown44
    Haha @piperdown44 dry shampoo is exactly what it sounds like. Shampoo you can use in between washes. It's almost like a deodorant spray.

The idea of blow drying sweaty hair is cringeworthy but I've read it's not so bad.

That dry shampoo sounds......kinda odd, but if it works....

I wouldn't cut the hair. Summer doesn't last forever and before you know it, nice cool fall weather is right around the corner.
    What do you do in winter?

• abitofbliss
    Well, I live in Florida @piperdown44 so we have about a 1-2 week winter. I just started this in May. I'm guessing I'll be breaking a sweat in the mornings til at least Dec.
  • piperdown44
    Well, I live in Florida @piperdown44 so we have about a 1-2 week winter. I just started this in May. I'm guessing I'll be breaking a sweat in the mornings til at least Dec.

Ah. Well that's a bit different then.
    I visit the eastern side a couple times a year for work. Even on those mornings I'm out of the hotel at 6am it's humid.
    Keep at it and good luck!
  • sunnybeaches105

When it cools down to the mid-70s for a few days
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Baby Wipes and Baby Powder. I know a couple people that will use the wipe to wipe down the important parts of their bodies then use a little bit of baby powder to freshen up their hair.
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    I workout in the mornings before work. I take a shower after my workouts at the gym but my body temp stays elevated for a while, so I usually have to put my makeup on in the parking lot at work. If I tried doing it while I was still at the gym I'd sweat it off. I usually end up scrunching my hair or putting it up. I hate blow drying it when I'm still sweating. Can you bring some mousse or product and scrunch it?
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    As I want to wash my hair every other day I do the blow dry thing and dry shampoo spray as needed. Yes it's icky but I don't want to ruin my hair washing it out every day. Then I do the loose pull back until I feel cooled down and later I can wear it down. Baby powder works too which you can also use for your 'sink bath'. Hope you can find a place to shower.
  • Reraisin_Fool
    Reraisin_Fool Posts: 2 Member
    I cant stop laughing from......"Hoe Bath" LOL

:)
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    I think you are on the right track with the blow dryer and dry shampoo. I've tried a pantene one and the nozzle clogged after 3 uses making it worthless. I tried this aussie one next and the price is much better and it works as advertised. Good luck!

http://aussie.com/en-us/shop-products/all-products/total-miracle-7n1-dry-shampoo
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Maybe super dumb but....could you rinse it in a sink? Not sure if you have access to a more private bathroom
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Yep - when I worked out on my lunch break (and had long hair) I would do the "hoe and blow". Hoe bath + dry shampoo blow- dry. It wasn't bad at all.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    I just started trying dry shampoo and it definitely keeps my hair looking less greasy so I can go longer without washing.
    I'd use baby wipes when you get to work, the small hair dryer if your hair is wet, and the dry shampoo if it seems oily looking. You should be able to let your hair down after that.