What do you consider "a bad day"? Am I being too easy on myself?

Options
Went out to dinner with friends last night. I haven't quite learned how to do that.

Anyway, I ate Rodizio which is a form of Portuguese / Brazilian BBQ of all you can eat grilled meats. It's a low carb lovers dream.

Including eating my exercise calories back & indulging in a ginger ale with dinner I "only" went about 300 calories over my 1200 calorie per day allowance; I ate about 1600 calories yesterday. Although I didn't measure anything, when I guestimate portion sizes I tend to over estimate. (For example I ate some cheese the other day. I thought it was 2 oz. When I put it in the scale it was 1.2 oz) I also tried to pick the highest calorie count options when using the MFP database.

I consider this more of a victory then a failure because the old me probably would have had several glasses of sangria with that meal instead of 1 soda & my other meals probably would have been higher fat / calories & less nutritious.

Am I kidding myself?

What do you consider a "bad" day?

Replies

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I'd call that a victory; very likely you're still in a deficit, or at least at maintenance. (I don't know your stats, so I can't say for sure.)

As for me, a bad day would be a day that I've gone over my maintenance calories, and a REALLY bad day is when I eat like... 6000 calories. Which happens more often than I would like. :D
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I dont think you did anything wrong.
    inless you plan to never go out for meals with friends ever again in your life you have to work around it and allow yourself that "treat"
    you made good choices and one meal out is not gonna wreck everything you have done so far.

so today is a new day, get back to weighing and logging and forget about the calorie count from yesterday, just remeber the fun you had with your friends
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Sounds ok to me.
    No bad days, except if you let them become bad months.............years.
    Move on 300 over is negligible in the scheme of things. If it concerns you, exercise a little more to make up for it, or eat a little less for a couple of days.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'd call that a victory; very likely you're still in a deficit, or at least at maintenance. (I don't know your stats, so I can't say for sure.)

As for me, a bad day would be a day that I've gone over my maintenance calories, and a REALLY bad day is when I eat like... 6000 calories. Which happens more often than I would like. :D

Yep. I'm the same. If it's at or under my maintenance, or if it's a planned high day, it's a good day. Yesterday I overate by 300 something calories and was quite pleased with it because I was still 250 calories under maintenance.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Anything that doesn't meet Ice Cube's criteria for a good day is what I consider a bad day.
    What does that mean?

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    300 calories is fine as long as you don't do it everyday. Bad day for me is 1000+ calories over - happens probably once a month. Just get back on the horse the next day and keep going.

As @snowflake930 says..It's only bad if you let it be a bad week/month/year. One day isn't going to hurt.
  • brewcrew101
    brewcrew101 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That is NOT a bad day. 1600 calories is likely still under maintenance for you, so you still kept yourself on track for losing weight. And even if you did go over, it wouldn't have been the end of the world. You were at a fun place with delicious food and sometimes you just deserve to eat to your heart's content.
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    Anything that doesn't meet Ice Cube's criteria for a good day is what I consider a bad day.
    What does that mean?

"It Was a Good Day" is a song from 1992 by rapper Ice Cube. On said day, there was no barking from the dog, no smog...he didn't have to pull out his gat, etc.

Totally LOL right now.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My definition of a "bad" day, food wise, is if after I realize I've jumped off the plan and mindlessly consumed stuff ingesting calories far beyond my plan, I keep eating.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    300 calories over is easy to make up. That was showing restraint at a restaurant. Plus if you tend to overestimate calories as you mentioned then it probably wasn't too far off.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

Yep. I'm the same. If it's at or under my maintenance, or if it's a planned high day, it's a good day. Yesterday I overate by 300 something calories and was quite pleased with it because I was still 250 calories under maintenance.

This is how I feel. I try not to let the calories go over a maintenance day amount. Then I feel like it was a zero deficit but know I won't gain weight from it.
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Umm, last time I went to a Brazilian steakhouse, I think I went 600 over. And I had worked out quite a bit that morning in anticipation... So excellent job! For me a bad day is more than 500 over.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eating-wise for me a bad day would be wasting calories on food I don't really love and going over calories as a result. But truly bad/good days for me tend not to revolve around food choice anyway.

When it's worth it, I'll go over calories without problem and just work in some lower cal days in the week to balance it out.