Am I a Quitter?

Options
Since my decision to stay active and be healthier I have taken up riding my bike to/from work (20 miles daily) this coincided with me losing my car so it works out perfectly. In addition, I take three 15 minutes walks at work. This is about 2.5 hours I dedicate to exercise a day during the week. Soon after, I was introduced to the idea of playing roller derby. I already enjoyed inline skating so I thought I'd give it a go.

Let me just say, I LOVE skating. But all the technical stuff with roller derby and the physical "Beat B**ches *kitten** mentality is really not my thing. To make matters worse, every practice someone is getting hurt - Last practice a girl that started with me broke her ankle. I would have to leave at 5pm to get home, have to repack my bag for derby, figure out if I even have time to eat then head to my ride's house to go to a 2-hour long practice in a building with no AC twice a week. Honestly, I wasn't too exhausted to practice but... I just really didn't feel like it. Plus, all of the activities, fundraisers, everything to promote derby was overwhelming, not to mention the cost to own your own gear rather then using "loaner" gear.

I have struggled with the decision to quit. Is it OK that this sport just isn't for me? I know the obvious answer to that question is yes but 1/2 of me tries to rationalize my reasoning and the other 1/2 feels like I am just giving up. Should I just be sucking it up and continue to try?

Replies

• jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you don't enjoy it, then why do it? I understand where you are coming from. Not wanting to quit something you dedicated yourself to, but you're a busy adult that needs to find hobbies you actually enjoy. You said it yourself, this is a no brainer.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks @jlahorn

I feel good about my decision but the guilt is getting to me.

I love the idea of the extra exercise so it's hard to give that up. Now that I don't have a weekly 'mandatory' practice to attend I want to add something like rollerblading on the lake at sunset. I'll have to find that motivation to get out there after a long ride and just do it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    http://freakonomics.com/podcast/new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-the-upside-of-quitting/

"Sometimes quitting is strategic, and sometimes it can be your best possible plan... Sunk cost is about the past – it’s the time or money or sweat equity you’ve put into a job or relationship or a project, and which makes quitting hard. Opportunity cost is about the future. It means that for every hour or dollar you spend on one thing, you’re giving up the opportunity to spend that hour or dollar on something else – something that might make your life better. If only you weren’t so worried about the sunk cost. If only you could …. quit.

Go do something you actually enjoy, imo :)

D'oh! I was just going to post that podcast. It's one of my favorites.

I am a big fan of quitting when it serves me well, improves my life, etc.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I also REALLY enjoyed roller skating, so I figured I would love roller derby. It turns out I did not enjoy having to hit people, or getting hit. I tried to push through it, figuring I just needed to get used to it, I ended up getting hurt and had to take a break. Never went back, still enjoy roller skating, but years later still have to wear a knee brace from time to time from that injury.

It's ok if you dont like something, getting hurt is a very real risk, dont take it if you dont love it.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Find something you LOVE!
  • abitofbliss
    Options
    Thank you @saragreen012 II'm so happy to see someone that can relate with me. The girls on the team show off their bruises like trophies. If I got hurt I would essentially lose my transportation to work. I love my biking and walking. I just wish I had the same opportunity to meet new people as I did with Derby.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    If you don't like it, you don't like it. Did you commit to the season? If so, and if it were me (which it's not), I'd try to finish out the season. Having a history in team sports, I know how much it sucks to end up short players at the end of a season because people quit in the middle. BUT if you are honestly worried about getting hurt, or if the logistics are wrecking your life, I think it's fine to quit. I'm assuming that whoever invited you to play knew you hadn't played before and were just trying it out...
  • abitofbliss
    Options
    @jenj1313 - They had a recruitment night and let anyone and everyone join. I paid my dues, went to most practices and participated in the other events but I wouldn't be considered on the team to actually play until I pass a skills test. I probably had a couple of more months before I could do that.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    @jenj1313 - They had a recruitment night and let anyone and everyone join. I paid my dues, went to most practices and participated in the other events but I wouldn't be considered on the team to actually play until I pass a skills test. I probably had a couple of more months before I could do that.

So you weren't technically 'on a team' yet? If that's the case chalk it up to an activity you tried but that didn't quite fit your lifestyle.

You can still skate at the park or a rink (if there are any still around. I loved the roller rink as a kid but its a Bob's Furniture now. :disappointed:)
  • MrsLuca
    MrsLuca Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I was about to ask if you had made a commitment for a certain length of time. Sounds like you did not. To me, that means you're not quitting something, but that you did a trial and it wasn't a good fit. Keep looking till you find something that works for you.
  • abitofbliss
    Options
    @AlisonH729 - They considered everyone on the team... So, technically yes but technically no. I was still in training. Haha

They do have some rinks around. I'm going to try to skate at the lakefront this weekend. Should make me feel good anyways.. I miss skating without touching a bunch of sweaty girls with 10lbs of gear on!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Considering your reliance on your bicycle to get you to work and around without a car, not to mention your desire to stay active, there's no way I'd take up an activity with such a high risk of injury. Obviously, you risk injury on your bike, but to me it's a bit different.

Let go of the guilt! You make your own choices and decisions.
  • abitofbliss
    Options
    Thank you @BZAH10

I agree. I was just talking to someone today about riding my bike and she had to tell me a story of someone injuring themselves for life on the bike. I hate talking about it. I wanted to say you have just as much of a risk as driving in your car every day. Derby is a whole other level of possible injuries... No thanks!