Looking for a new bike

Options
Aesop101
Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
I looking at the Merax Finiss on Amazon and the Hyper spin fit at Walmart. Both are 700 cc and 21 speed bikes. One is a hybrid and the a road bike. The Hyper is $ 130 and the merax is $239. Any suggestions or preferences? Hints and tips are welcome too.

Thank you!

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend buying a used bike on Craigslist before a bike-shaped object at Walmart, because you'll get a much better value for your money.

+1
    A used bike will be far, far better than either
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend buying a used bike on Craigslist before a bike-shaped object at Walmart, because you'll get a much better value for your money.

Another thumbs up to this.

I used to buy Walmart bikes every year. Why? Because they only last a year. And it's not like I abuse them.

If possible, take whatever you buy to a shop and get custom fitted.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

absolutely.

i would recommend going to a local bike shop and getting something second hand. And getting actually fitted for the bike, learning how to do maintenance on it, etc.

In my opinion, a bike should be a similar purchase to a car. Don't buy a junkyard car you'll have to replace every year, buy something like a reliable pre-owned. ;)
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I settled for buying a bike on CL and 650 miles later it is falling apart. It's a Schwinn Hyrbid which probably came from a wal-mart like store. I just cannot afford another bike right now. I wish I could because it's a struggle to ride this bike 20 miles a day.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I want to second Mistah J's warning about X-mart bikes not being always assembled carefully. That can be a safety issue when you're coming down a hill at 30 mph.

If you do buy a used bike, bring a friend who knows about bikes. And don't buy used carbon unless you know its history. Never ride a carbon part that's been crashed (unless it's been inspected by somebody with an x-ray).
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I used to buy Walmart bikes every year. Why? Because they only last a year. And it's not like I abuse them.

You did surprisingly well.

I saw a bike out by the garbage dumpster of my apartment one day. Asked around about it. It was a Walmart bike, the owner had paid $100 for it, and the chain wore out. He didn't know why he would spend $40 on a new chain (and having it installed, wasn't a DIY guy) when he could get a new bike for $100. I moved it out to the sidewalk and left a "free polo bike" sign on it.
  • Aesop101
    Options
    I actually favor the Merax. I saw many good reviews. I will swing by a local bike shop but I have heard they are extraordinarily expensive. The Walmart bike though allows me to get a hitch mounted bike rack. Something I really want. My current bike is a fixie and old. I've been hauling that thing in the back of my SUV. It's awkward.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Is there an actual bike shop close by?

If your budget can stand spending a little more money (maybe $200 more or so) you can probably get a decent entry level bike that's been properly assembled etc that you'll be much happier with (when i started riding again I picked up a Marin Larkspur from a LBS, I've since moved on to a couple of better bikes - I race a bit - but my daughter is still riding the Marin 10 years later and I've had to do minimal maintenance to it)

If that's not in the budget then used is an option (I missed a late '70s/early '80s steel framed Bianchi that had great components on it that sold for $100 a few weeks ago). If you're not comfortable looking at used bikes do you have a friend who may be more knowledgeable that can help?
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've bought cheap bikes; I've bought more expensive ones. My experience is you definitely get what you pay for. I've bought my last two bikes at bike shops and I'd have no issues buying a used one from a bike shop. Honestly, I'd budget my $$ and save up for it...the better it operates the more you'll be on it (and enjoying it too!)

• Aesop101
    Options
    I'm going riding tonight on my fixie. Then tomorrow after work I'll run by the LBS. It's about 1 mile away. Then we'll see what I learn.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options

This^^^
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Support your local bike shops. They will support you if you have issues
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Jumping on the LBS train - a good one should have a range of bikes in a range of prices. Some even have inventories of used bikes.

Ordering online is a bit dicey - are you bike maintenance knowledgeable? You'd have to do some assembly and tune ups and make sure everything is put together properly. Or a LBS would do that for a fee, and at that point might as well just a slightly more expensive bike from them for the same price as the cheaper online version+assembly fee.

Good luck!
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Buying a bike from craigslist may not be the best idea if you don't know anything about bikes (just like you probably wouldn't want to buy a car unless you're a mechanic). Because then you don't know what kind of wear and tear to look for, what it's actually worth, how long it'll last, etc. You could either get a fair deal or a piece of junk.

I'd recommend going to a bike shop. Yes, it's going to be more expensive, but on the other hand, the bike is going to be reliable for a LONG TIME. And the bike shop will usually doing a couple of complimentary things for you (a 30 day tune-up, a free fit, etc). And many bikes come with fantastic warranties. My boyfriend had a mid-range Specialized for about 6-7 years, and one day he backed into his garage with his bike still on the roof rack. Turns out it snapped the back fork. He called Specialized and they gave him a whole new bike.

So while a craigslist or walmart bike is going to be cheaper in the short term, it comes at the price of many risks. A bike bought at a shop is going to last longer, come with a warranty, and you'll be in better hands if something happens to it, and so will likely save you money over the next several years.

I guess it depends on how long you want the bike to last and if you are willing to (potentially) invest more money in it if something breaks/wears down.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Another vote against Walmart and big box bikes. Your LBS will help you find what you need for they way you want to ride. With bikes, you really get what you pay for. If the LBS is too daunting (it can be intimidating for women) than check out REI. They have some great mid range bikes that are pretty budget friendly.

Bottom line is, you won't ride a bike you don't like and you probably won't like a cheap, heavy bike.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I really like my hybrid bike!
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I got my road bike at an LBS last year. I can safely say it's the best bike I've ever owned and will probably last forever if I take good care of it.