I am so upset with myself!!!

Options
For the last 2 months I have been doing so well....until today that is. I succumbed to the nagging urges of my chocolate tooth! I haven't had any for 2 months....or any added sugar of any kind - but today I bought 1 x 4 pack of Cadbury's Twirl - at 92 calories each stick.....I ate the lot!

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    So less than 800 calories? Not going to have much of an impact in the scheme of things.

Perhaps find a way to incorporate the things you like so you don't binge on them, it's often a byproduct of over-restriction. Got to be in this for life and unless you're going to go your whole life never eating those things it's best to work how to incorporate them into your life.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I really suggest you find a way to incorporate a measly 92 calories into your daily allowance - then no need to feel deprived and you can then short circuit these cravings/binges. I have eaten Special K cracker chips, salt and vinegar, bbq, sour cream and dill etc virtually every night since october 2015 and have lost 90lbs. A serving is 80 calories and its just enough to calm the cravings for salty/crunchy.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others in that you really shouldn't be so upset or hard on yourself. It wasn't that many calories and no one is perfect. Expecting perfection is pointless.

If you want to keep added sugars out of your diet, fine. If you want to try to add chocolate back into your daily diet or have it just once a week, that's fine too. Just find out what works best for you long-term.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs by having a teeny bit of chocolate every day. I gained back 10 lbs by having too much. :) A little chocolate within your budget is not going to derail your plans. Just don't do it every day.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Not enough to stress about. One overindulgence will not undo all of the hard work you've been doing. As others have suggested, you should try to work some chocolate into your daily or weekly goals so you don't feel deprived.
  • becky2eyes
    becky2eyes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I calculate 105 calories of chocolate/sweet into my diet. that's 1/2 of a Hershey's flat bar (6 sections!), or half a Snickers, or 2 KitKat sticks...you get the idea. then I don't feel deprived and, actually, I feel like I've "cheated" on my diet, which works for me psychologically.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I agree with the others. It took me a while to learn to control myself around certain foods. Start small. Bring in a single serving size of something you like a couple times each week. As you get used to the idea of having a smaller portion, then start bringing in the bigger packs, and limit yourself to a single serving. Life is too long to go without things you enjoy.

ETA: Stop being so hard on yourself! Sounds like you have been really strict with your expectations. That's a recipe for disaster.
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    So long as you don't do this every day you ought to be fine! I ate two doughnuts today (2, I know!) I enjoyed them both and definitely won't do it again. It was nothing but pure greed! But I'll put my halo back on tomorrow :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    400 calories divided by 60 days is roughly 7 extra calories per day. I wouldn't sweat it!! It's life. Maybe you should figure out how to add little treats each day into your diet.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I've done so much worse! that's fine, you can work out a bit more if you want to or just tell yourself that you had you chocolate fix. Tbh once every 2 months won't kill all you efforts!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So next time you have 2 sticks that fits in your daily calories a couple of times a week.

Twirl is a good choice, though peanut butter kit kat chunky is my chocolate bar of choice!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    cliftonav wrote: »
    For the last 2 months I have been doing so well....until today that is. I succumbed to the nagging urges of my chocolate tooth! I haven't had any for 2 months....or any added sugar of any kind - but today I bought 1 x 4 pack of Cadbury's Twirl - at 92 calories each stick.....I ate the lot!
    Should I feel bad about eating chocolate every day, within my calories, and still losing 90lbs?

Heck no. Log it, fit it in your calories and relax. Food is food. You're all good.
    Enjoy your weight loss journey. It's not the types of food that cause weight gain, it is eating more calories than your body needs to maintain its weight that causes weight gain.
  • Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Avoiding a certain food is just going to make you crave it more! Find a way to fit a smaller portion into your calories to satisfy those cravings! I'm so stuffed from my meals today but I still managed to fit in a chocolate milk and a small piece of galaxy bubbles without going over my calories (i'm on 1200 a day). It's very doable and makes the diet so much easier to stick to x
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Jetamu96 wrote: »
    Avoiding a certain food is just going to make you crave it more! Find a way to fit a smaller portion into your calories to satisfy those cravings! I'm so stuffed from my meals today but I still managed to fit in a chocolate milk and a small piece of galaxy bubbles without going over my calories (i'm on 1200 a day). It's very doable and makes the diet so much easier to stick to x
    THIS is the exact reason i would fail at any past attempt to lose weight. I would restrict far too much and end up binging and giving up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't use the word "avoiding", but "denying" (avoiding something you feel the urge to eat but don't really want to eat, can work well, because it's your own decision, not something you think you "should" (I haven't had chips/crisps for over two years, and I used to eat them daily, and I don't miss them at all)), but I too agree. The deprivation - binge cycle is real. Stop it now. Incorporate the things you can't live without, enjoy eating it, enjoy life. No karma points for unnecessary suffering.
  • cliftonav
    cliftonav Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Each of you have individually have made me feel so much better about it. After eating the last one I was so upset with myself.