New Vegan, rough start, advice pls and thx

Options
Hello! I jumped into vegan eating this week and while I want to say I love it, I'm getting very sick instead.

It's not the lack of meat and dairy that's the issue, I am getting my protein, calcium and calories and I'm taking a B12 supplement and probiotics.

I'm likely having a reaction to something I'm eating instead of the meat and dairy. Either I can't handle legumes or I'm having trouble adjusting to the fiber (thx MyFitnessPal, I saw that my intake doubled overnite).

I'm tired, my knees hurt to the point I haven't been able to work out, and my stomach hurts all the time.

Any advice on how to make this transition less horrible? I want to stay with it. So many people are doing it and the meat/egg/dairy industries are so horrible, cruel, and bad for the planet.

Also, I have to re-add one non-vegan thing back in, in small doses, what's least harmful: milk & eggs, fish, or shrimp/crickets (exo protein)?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would say go back to what you used to eat, till everything stops hurting (if it doesn't stop then your diet isn't the culprit) and then slowly phase out meat and dairy and increase your fibre intake.

• mean_jeannie
    mean_jeannie Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i would say go back to what you used to eat, till everything stops hurting (if it doesn't stop then your diet isn't the culprit) and then slowly phase out meat and dairy and increase your fibre intake.

This is a good idea. You can ease into it. Try replacing 1/3 of your meals with vegan meals and see how that helps you. It's admirable that you want to help yourself and your planet this way but also remember that it's about the best choices you can make for yourself at this time.

We eat 50% vegan at my house, and we don't eat mammals at all. I do my best to source poultry and fish from cruelty free/sustainable farms. And we don't do dairy.
  • glossysweetums
    glossysweetums Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It would depend on the type and amount of things you are eating. With a higher fiber intake you need to make sure you are also intaking enough water. Also, legumes can be difficult to digest for some so I would ask which ones are you having (types of legumes/beans, were they dried, fresh, canned, etc), as knowing this more advice can be given. How many grams of protein are you aiming for daily?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Lots of people feel very uncomfortable when they increase their fiber quickly. Lower fiber plant foods may help you while you adjust -- pasta, tofu, potatoes, these can help you get enough to eat while not adding a lot of fiber.

I have never heard of that causing fatigue or joint point though. Have you eliminated anything from your diet (like caffeine) at the same time as going vegan? Were you eating any legumes before or are they totally new to your diet? Have you added anything besides legumes?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You should go to the doctor. Vegan eating doesn't cause that. Food allergies could. Do you have the flu?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Doubling your fiber overnight can cause issues...maybe not try to do a complete 180* literally overnight.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Completely changing your diet overnight can definitely cause bloating and stomach issues, as others have mentioned the huge increase in fiber can make things uncomfortable at first. Lots of beans still can make my stomach super uncomfortable at times, I tend to eat them once or twice a day and find that is the best for my stomach to stay happy.

I agree that fatigue and joint pain seems a bit unusual, fatigue maybe if you cut caffeine or are not getting enough calories (which can often be an issue for new vegans but you mentioned you're conscious of this) but joint pain - if that keeps up definitely go see a doctor. Were you taking all the supplements before you went vegan?

When I first went vegan I dove in as best I could but didn't go totally cold turkey. I cut all meats and stopped drinking milk and eating cheese/yogurt etc. However I was still eating foods containing dairy for the first little bit and cut those out over the next couple months. I did this to help my transition and give myself the opportunity to learn all the lingo, dairy is often worded many different ways under product labels.

Maybe take a small step back to make things easier in the food department. As an ethical vegan, I don't think that there is any one item to add back into your diet that is "least harmful" imo but I know for me products containing dairy was the last to leave my diet.
  • cee134
    Options
    Any update? Are you able to be vegan and not be in pain?
  • cardiaclearner
    cardiaclearner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be a vegan but finding it's hard to add plant based protein to my diet. I stared to add some vegan protein powder to my breakfast and it helps a lot.
    I will update after I stared a strength based exercise program . Feel free to add me . Always interested to learn from other vegans.
  • larknapier3
    larknapier3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When it comes to protein, be sure to do your research. Quantity for me comes from quality and variety...beans, grains, soy, pea. I just try to eat as little processed or junk foods as possible. That made it easier to have the calories to devote to adequate protein.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be a vegan but finding it's hard to add plant based protein to my diet. I stared to add some vegan protein powder to my breakfast and it helps a lot.
    I will update after I stared a strength based exercise program . Feel free to add me . Always interested to learn from other vegans.

Healthy adults should be getting 42g of protein a day. Active females, 52g, active males, 62g. I'll add you!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    Healthy adults should be getting 42g of protein a day. Active females, 52g, active males, 62g. I'll add you!

I don't believe those figures (even disregarding the weight vatiable) are nearly sufficient to prevent slow loss of lean body mass.

Sources?

• cee134
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »

Be careful, the RDA for protein is based on (.36 x lbs) using a reference weight and height from a study called Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients) (2005)

For example: for a women RDA for Protein is 46 or (.36 x 126 lbs) at 64 inches and between 18 - 50.