Thinking about going vegetarian

Options
Okay, so I've been thinking maybe I should try going vegetarian. Mostly because I hate the way animals are treated leading up to their deaths basically. Also, I want to see if it'll help me lose weight faster and lead to a healthier body. Problem is I really love chicken like a lot. I also hate most fish. I can sometimes go days without eating meat and not miss it, but if my family or friends are going out to eat I have to have meat. I've tried giving up beef before, but sometimes I actually forget when I'm eating it. I've also never been a big pork fan and have never had lamb. Anyways I'm rambling now, but to the vegetarians out there...is it worth it? I mean it'll be hard for me at first, but did you guys see results pretty quickly?

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've been thinking maybe I should try going vegetarian. Mostly because I hate the way animals are treated leading up to their deaths basically. Also, I want to see if it'll help me lose weight faster and lead to a healthier body. Problem is I really love chicken like a lot. I also hate most fish. I can sometimes go days without eating meat and not miss it, but if my family or friends are going out to eat I have to have meat. I've tried giving up beef before, but sometimes I actually forget when I'm eating it. I've also never been a big pork fan and have never had lamb. Anyways I'm rambling now, but to the vegetarians out there...is it worth it? I mean it'll be hard for me at first, but did you guys see results pretty quickly?

What results are you expecting to see?
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Same answer. I've been chubby and thin as a vegetarian (15 years). Try upping your veggies and doing more ethically sourced meat, if ethics and weight loss are your goals. I just hate the taste of meat :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I agree with others. In fact, most of the vegetarians I've met, eat horribly. Most people eat horribly. If your interested in doing a whole food type of vegetation diet, that may shed some unwanted pounds. Maybe just take baby steps, having meat sparingly, and add more fresh veggies and such.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    There can be a psychological avdvantage to vegetarianism if you eat a lot of high volume to calorie ratio foods. Everyone is different. Of course, it will not in and of itself lower caloric intake and lead to fat loss. It can't hurt to try and to see if it helps you, and fits your temperement, in consuming fewer calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of overweight vegetarians.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    What about incorporating a semi-vegetarian lifestyle ie: having days where you eat only according to vegetarian 'ideals'. We often have meatless days and after a stint of going complete vegetarian we did return to eating meat on occasion but the experience did give us insight and opened up a whole new world of foods for us, so it was a win win all round.

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    If you are over consuming (that is, getting too many calories) because of overeating animal products, going veggie could theoretically help. If you are over eating plant foods, going veggie won't stop that, obviously. You have to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. You could look into humanely raised animal products if the ethical concerns bother you. That said, I lost 50 lbs and have kept it off easily for 2.5 years, while eating plenty of animal products (I eat LCHF; the foods I used to over consume were plant foods - grains, starches, and sugars). Whatever you do, you need to look at the long term and make sure you can keep doing it for life. If your calories consumed are less than those burned, you will lose weight, regardless of what your diet consists of.
  • TinaRawww
    TinaRawww Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've just become vegetarian Jan 1st, it hasn't done anything in the weight loss department for me.
    you have to have time to cook more (which I barely do) so I think that also will play a factor.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 5 years. I think I may have lost a few pounds when I first became a vegetarian because I essentially just ate steamed vegetables, rice, bread, and oatmeal. My weight has been pretty consistent.

Becoming a vegetarian doesn't mean you'll lose weight. You can still overeat and make poor choices. You can be a vegetarian and eat nothing but fries, mac and cheese, etc. There are plenty of overweight vegetarians and vegetarians with bad eating habits.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I was overweight when I was vegetarian and a meat eater.

As others have said, cutting out meat doesn't automatically mean you'll lose weight. It's just as easy to eat more calories than you need when you aren't eating meat as when you are. In fact, sometimes eating out is harder because I used to find there was often only one vegetarian item on a menu (usually veggie lasagne, a veggie stack or a goats cheese tart) whereas if you eat meat/chicken/fish you have more choices and can pick something like grilled fish and veggies or salad if you are looking for less cals in that meal.

I think you need to decide where you stand on an ethical point of view. If you truly don't want to be consuming animal products then make that decision and stick to it. Log your meals, count your calories and you can lose weight.
    If you are a bit ambivalent, then you can always just cut down on how much meat/chicken/fish you eat. Cook veggie meals at home, eat meat when you go out, for example.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Your reasoning to be vegetarian has to be pretty solid to stick to it. It will not, in itself, help you lose weight or be healthier unless you choose to eat healthy vegetarian meals at the same time. I love chickens too, thats why I don't eat them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One of my really good friends is a vegetarian...she's about 150 Lbs overweight...she basically lives off of processed veggie burgers, potato chips, french fries, cookies, and coca cola.

I'm an omnivore and eat a diet substantially of whole foods...I eat about 6 servings of veg daily and a couple servings of fruit...lots of whole grains and legumes and whole food starches...lean sourced protein (lots of chicken and fish) and healthy fats from things like avocados, nuts, and good cooking oils.

Who has the healthier diet? Hint, I'm pretty lean and fit and healthy...my vegetarian friend needs to lose a lot of weight.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    One of my really good friends is a vegetarian...she's about 150 Lbs overweight...she basically lives off of processed veggie burgers, potato chips, french fries, cookies, and coca cola.

I'm an omnivore and eat a diet substantially of whole foods...I eat about 6 servings of veg daily and a couple servings of fruit...lots of whole grains and legumes and whole food starches...lean sourced protein (lots of chicken and fish) and healthy fats from things like avocados, nuts, and good cooking oils.

Who has the healthier diet? Hint, I'm pretty lean and fit and healthy...my vegetarian friend needs to lose a lot of weight.

Any diet can be unhealthy if you want it to be.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it for moral reasons then okay. If you're doing it for health reasons then you're off track.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Fish isn't vegetarian, so hating fish won't be a problem.

You can find ethically-raised chicken if the way the animals are treated before death is your issue. If it's killing animals for food, period, which I respect (although I am not a vegetarian), then you will have to decide what matters more -- the ethical feelings or the desire to eat chicken.

Maybe try it for a period of time and see how it goes? I usually give up meat for Lent (fish too, even though you can eat that on Friday under normal "meatless" rules in my religion), and find it pretty easy to do, although I like meat and find it helpful enough from a nutritional perspective that I haven't yet felt compelled to give it up completely (how the animal is treated is more of an issue for me than killing it for food). (No weight loss results, FTR.)
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who actually gained weight when she became a vegetarian because, well....pasta. I get doing it for ethnic reasons. I also hate animal abuse. But, I LOVE chicken. And seafood. And burgers.....point made.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned vegetarianism doesn't necessarily lead to weight loss. If you do try it dont just switch to pastas and rice dishes as I did at first, veggies will be your new best friend. Also, keep in mind this doesnt have to be an all or nothing kind of thing. If you can eat vegetarian most of the time, but feel the need to eat chicken or whatever while dining out with friends then do just that. I've had the occasional meat meal since transitioning and have to remind myself that it doesn't make me a failure. I have still cut out 99% of my meat consumption and that isn't something to be ashamed of. Try you best and forget the rest!