How do you motivate yourself to keep logging?

Options
I have started and stopped logging my food on MFP I don't know how many times now in the last few years. I know this is the only way to be successful, I just have the hardest time and have always given up after just a few days. I begin to hate the tedious effort. I can't be the only one in this boat, and I really want to follow through this time and finally lose the 40 pounds forever. Obviously many of you here are successful - how do you motivate yourself day after day?? Please help

Replies

• blount86
    blount86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was the exact same way. I would be really good for a few days then completely stop logging. I did this off and on for a couple of years. This time around I'm almost 5 weeks in and I have logged every single meal. One thing that helped me was pre-logging my food. I usually make my meals for the day the night before and log at that time. By pre-planning my meals, it also helps me to not eat bad foods. This around I feel like I'm more motivated and ready for this journey. Everyday I just think about my goal and also the progress I've made so far really helps to keep me motivated. The first couple of weeks are the hardest I think and after that, for me at least, I feel like its second nature. Good luck with your journey! You CAN do this!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    I have been logging my cycling since April 29, 1990.

I like data ... I work with data ... I attend university to learn more about data and databases.

So logging my food here just fits in with what I like to do. :) Plus MFP is so easy to use.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It's not the only way to be successful. People have lost and continue to lose weight without logging food. I do it because I like it. I see my calories and all those little micronutrients, so I know where I stand.

It gets tedious now and again, but it doesn't seem like a sacrifice because I actually want to do it.
  • hollyvalli
    hollyvalli Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The weight loss is the motivation. Being a better more badass me is the motivation. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It takes only a few moments to log. 20 years ago calories were listed in a booklet and not everything was there. It's point and click, geez.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    I know that if I stop I will gain the weight back. Doesn't mean I don't ever go off the rails. I frequently do, but it is easier to get back on track if I have been logging all along.

I like the data. And when I am paying attention, I have control. When I am not paying attention, I gain weight...and I don’t want to do that anymore.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    I know that if I stop I will gain the weight back. Doesn't mean I don't ever go off the rails. I frequently do, but it is easier to get back on track if I have been logging all along.

I like the data. And when I am paying attention, I have control. When I am not paying attention, I gain weight...and I don’t want to do that anymore.

Exactly! :) I love data. Just adore it. Gives me something concrete to work with.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Play games with yourself to make it fun. Pick macro or micro to "conquer" For me, right now, that's fiber. Eating a LOT less than I used to means I, ahem, really need to hit my fiber goal. I get all excited when those green happy words pop up about fiber. I'm competitive by nature so this plays right into i . Find your motivator and it'll all fall into place.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It's just habit. I view it as something I do every day such as brushing my teeth or taking a shower. Do it long enough and it will become natural for you.

This. My day doesn't feel right if I don't log now. I don't really need motivation for it. Plus I like having the numbers to crunch.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Not logging just hasn't been an option since I started. Priorities.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I don't find it tedious... :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I can barely recognize a spreadsheet, am disorganized as heck, but I knew the best way to lose my excess weight was logging what I ate.

I logged at the end of the day, I can't decide what I am going to eat for dinner until it is dinner time, but I was consistent in my daytime eating and knew my basic portion sizes pretty fast so it worked for me.
    I am just stubborn and determined so not achieving the weigh loss wasn't an option.

Being a data geek I am sure would be helpful- but it is a simple case of addition, subtraction, and consistency.

Been happily maintaining for 6+ years.

Cheers, h.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I find it a helpful habit. It takes me about 5 minutes to pre-log my whole day every morning.
    I think it is less tedious than a lot of things I've tried. It is like brushing my teeth. I just do it.
    Once you have logged for awhile it gets faster especially if you eat the same foods often.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Not logging just hasn't been an option since I started. Priorities.

I use this analogy a lot, and maybe it's not perfect, but I consider my weight problem to be something akin to a chronic disease that must be managed. How does a diabetic, for example, stay motivated to keep taking insulin?

This exactly. I don't feel "motivated" to brush my teeth or shower or do laundry or make my nephew lunch when I'm watching him or wipe his butt when he uses the toilet (or wipe my butt when I use the toilet, while I'm on the subject). They're just requirements. End of story.

• mayburcm1
    mayburcm1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The thing about logging is that it's kind of a pain in the butt at first, but unless you eat completely differently for every single meal, it becomes so much quicker the more (longer) you do it.