Sausage suggestions

Options
I'm looking to shake up my breakfast to get more protein and veg. I want to try sausage for the fun of it. I'm not a big sausage eater but I have liked some here and there. And I'd love some of your suggestions for low cal/low fat/macro friendly sausages. And really not just breakfast sausages.

I'll tell you one idea I have to recreate- I once made a puff pastry turnover with sweet potato and sausage cooked with sage and it was so good. I wanted to recreate that in a healthier way but need to decide on what sausage to use with it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I eat Bilinski's chicken sausages. No pork casing so they are low in fat. They have all kinds of flavors, everything from Apple Chardonnay to Cajun Andouille to Buffalo-Style Blue Cheese. I very often eat the Spinach and Garlic. 1 Link is 80 calories, 2.5g fat, 12g protein.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I never eat low cal sausage cause cutting out any of the fat makes me sad so I count the calories in my diary to fit. Portuguese sausages are big and juicy and I can stuff part of it in there with a little maneuvering. Walking is difficult after a sausage feast.
  • ejb499
    ejb499 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Amylu sugarhouse maple chicken sausage. I buy them at Costco and 3 links is just 110 calories! They are fantastic!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like sundae dipped with some salt and crushed pepper.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Sorry, I never eat low cal sausage cause cutting out any of the fat makes me sad so I count the calories in my diary to fit. Portuguese sausages are big and juicy and I can stuff part of it in there with a little maneuvering. Walking is difficult after a sausage feast.

I totally hear you. It's just so common of me to not hit my protein goals because I overdid it on my fat so I'm trying to focus on leaner protein.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    mal-speechless.gif

Mmmmm.... sausage.

Castle. ❤️❤️❤️
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If there's a Sprouts near you, their fresh made pork breakfast sausage is pretty lean. Too lean for my taste, in fact, but otherwise pretty good.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

I like longaniza more than linguiça, but both are spicy and will fill you up nicely.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    I get a lot of protein out of sausage.

Yes but does the Portuguese sausage fill you or not?
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    My hubs just made a spicy sausage the other day that was quite yummy. He just bought a package of 90/10 (lean) ground pork and mixed in red pepper flake, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, file. He was trying to make andouille sausage, but it ended up tasting more like chorizo. Yummy none the less.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Butterball Everyday turkey burgers have various seasonings 240 calories for a 1/3 pound patty, 31g protein, 11g fat. Pretty good eating.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    In my experience reduced-fat breakfast sausage has extra sodium to compensate for the removal of fat, so pick your poison. I tend to use regular pork sausage in my breakfast burritos, but I drain as much fat as I can [drain on paper towels, rinse in filtered water] so it's a bit healthier.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I'm not as fancy as these other folks, but I do like a nice sausage in the morning.

I like it in the morning too. Sausage at night is also pretty good. And now that I'm thinking of it, it's pretty delightful in the afternoon as well.

I agree. There's rarely a bad time to fit in a good sausage.
  • Saskwatch99
    Saskwatch99 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love Morningstar Sausage patties, made from soy. My breakfast lately has been two patties on a whole wheat english muffin with a plant protein and banana smoothie. It gives me 59 grams of protein for breakfast.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Chicken or turkey are lean white meats. Deer, elk, or bison if you want a lean red meat. Commercial pork is leaner than heritage breeds.

Primal cuts over sausage if you want the biggest portion size for your calorie buck because fat is added to sausage. That is the entire point of sausage, after all. To not waste edible butchery scraps/organs/fat trimmed from primal cuts when breaking down a carcass.

Lot of choices to choose from in the refrigerated section, read the labels and pick one that fits your wants. Or your local meat locker if you can afford such. Flavorings will affect calorie count accordingly.