Lunch hour run, no shower facilities?

Options
I posted in the wrong section, so I'm posting again :)

Anyone in the same boat? How do you freshen up if you go on a run during your lunch break, but your workplace has no shower facility or anything?

Replies

• wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I dont do this but I would suggest baby wipes maybe? thats what you use for a shower when going to music festivals when you camp for like 4 days.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Baby wipes and a fresh change of clothes. Some deodorant and a spritz of perfume. Wash your face.

If your hair is long or sweaty a quick dry and tie it up if it's long.

• pauline_zhao
    pauline_zhao Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is a very good topic. I am also trying to fit in a workout on lunch break.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I would just freshen up if there's no shower available and then shower as soon as you get home. Bring your makeup, deodorant, perfume and hair spray and some wipes and do your best to get clean and smell nice. When you get home, take your shower.
  • bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    dry shampoo?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    that's exactly why i don't run at lunch time!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I workout now in the morning at home, so just shower afterwards, but when I worked out at lunch (not very high effort in an air conditioned gym) I would use some Costco face wipes to do my face and armpits.

But I am a sweaty pig when I run, I can't imagine going to work without showering. This morning after 2.6 miles I was literally dripping as I walked in the door. I can't see how anything less than a shower would make that ok for work.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Some folks can get away with using wet wipes after a run but sadly I sweat too much for that to be an option. What I've done previously though is take my running gear in and run home from work - which was fine when I was 3.5 miles away but now I've moved to 11 miles it's going to need a bit more training before I'm ready for that!
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I currently bike to work and posted something similar and got a lot of great responses:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10425956/arriving-to-work-sweaty#latest
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Personally, I sweat way too much to make this an option. I either get up early to run, or run right after work. You might walk during lunch, or even do a light bodyweight or resistance band strength workout if you have a space to do that. I sometimes close my door and do some stretching, squats, etc. during lunch.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Change of clothes, towel to dry yourself off, antiperspirant deodorant and maybe some perfume. I guess it would depend how badly you sweat and how intensely you work out.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness.
    Only reason I have a gym membership is cause it's close to my office and cheapest showers in town :D
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Well, I work at a sports concern so people here are pretty tolerant but it's Florida and 98F with 98% humidity and sunshine at noon so running is almost dangerous at that time, and anybody who does it anyway comes back dripping wet all over. There is a shower downstairs at the building's gym so they use that.

If no shower at all, and no alternative to lunchtime workouts, I'd bring a washcloth, go into the handicapped bathroom, take off all clothes and wipe down everywhere, rinsing the washcloth as I go. I'm not very stinky usually, so that would likely be enough. Not baby wipes, that is not going to work as well.

But what I actually do? Is run in the morning before the sun comes up. Then shower and get ready for work.
  • j3llyb3lly
    j3llyb3lly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In the Army, we always carried baby wipes into the field to clean up. They work very well. You don't need to carry a ton of them because to don't need to do a whole bath with them. Just the worst parts; armpits, neck & face, groin & rear end. Fresh socks and a fresh shirt will make you feel like a million bucks. And have mercy on your coworkers. Use some deodorant after your workouts.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I used to do this all of the time!
    Face wipes, new bra and shirt, new panties if needed, new socks, deodorant, dry shampoo, brush and baby wipes.
    Good for you, get your run in!
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Keep a fresh pair of clothes. If private bathroom you could do quick sink shower. Take a rag or other get it wet and clean under breasts armpits and anywhere else that will sweat. Then you can use face cleanser to feel cleaner there they areally pretty easy to store in ur bag if ya get a small one . And dry shampoo and deodorant. After you change clothes trust me will feel better. If not go into a private stall use baby wipes instead of sink shower as my family called it during camping runs. I hope this helps.
  • TrueHeart1430
    TrueHeart1430 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just walk for the hour? It Burns a little over 200.
  • novasunflower
    novasunflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just wake up an hour earlier and get it done in the morning before work!
  • pauline_zhao
    pauline_zhao Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just wake up an hour earlier and get it done in the morning before work!
    exactly what i did. I had to get up at 4am if i need to get it done early.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I rinse my hair in the sink if dry shampoo just isn't cutting it.