starting over....breakfast ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i eat a lot of lunch foods for breakfast... but I also eat around 11-1pm. I don't go to sleep until about 1-3am. Sometimes I wake up just craving a burger! If I do happen to be up early I love a scramble with eggs potatoes salsa and avocado... smoothies... granola and yogurt ect.

GRANOLA, PURELY ELIZABETH, SPECIFIC IS WHAT A LITTLE HERE A LITTLE THERE, IS WHAT GOT ME INTO TROUBLE. I DID NOT MEASURE AND WAS EATING A LOT. TOO AFRAID TO WEIGH, BUT THANK GOD I DID, AND STOPPED IT BEFORE IT GOT OUT OF HAND! I WISH I COULD EAT GRANOLA, BUT I AM NOT ABLE TO STOP ONCE I START. SAVE IT FOR A SPECIAL OCCASION! THANKS FOR CARING! J
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    true! thanks, just programming?
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    windee52 wrote: »
    Protein pancake - one scoop of vanilla p.powder, 1 egg, 1/4 tsp baking powder and milk/water as needed to thin it a bit. I use and omelet pan and get one huge, fluffy pancake for 220 cals, 26g protein and 4 carbs.

YUM! THANKS
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    Eggs are a great way to go if you're looking for something delicious that will help keep you full. Hard boiled and scrambled eggs are great and I also love making omelets filled with all sorts of sauteed veggies (red peppers, mushrooms, spinach, etc.).

THAT HAS BEEN MY GO TO! THANKS
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    charis77 wrote: »
    If you're like me, I don't have time to fix breakfast at home before heading out to work. I will make breakfast on Sunday to last for several days. An example would be taking eggs and prepare as you would scrambled eggs. But rather then put them on the stove, divide them into a muffin tin. You can add diced veggies and ham if you like. Or leave plain and add 1/2 an avocado and 1/2 tomato.

Another suggestion is make ahead breakfast burrito. They freeze really well. I wrap in saran wrap and then foil to prevent freezer burn. You can google a variety of recipes that will be high protein, low fat.

GREAT IDEA, THANKS J
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You don't gain weight because you're too "high carb." You gain weight because you eat too much and move too little.

The most important thing to work on is hitting your daily fibre goals. Starting with consistently hitting your fibre goals with foods that you love will usually cut your calorie consumption simply because it's a deviation from the SAD (Standard American Diet.)

From there you want to make sure your other nutrients are being fulfilled. No lower than 15% fat, but it's best to stay under 35% fat. 42g of protein per day for the average adult, 52g for an active woman and 62g for an active man.

If you're still eating too much and exercising too little, you need to step it up. Cut the portions and get moving. Cutting carbs is never the answer.

As for breakfast:
    Oatmeal with vanilla soy milk and a mashed banana is usually my go-to sweet oatmeal base. My add ins are usually:
    Tbs. ground flax
    Tbs. unsweetened coconut
    1/4 scoop protein powder
    Another fruit that pairs well with the banana

As for savoury oatmeal? Split red lentils and rolled oats in vegetable broth, takes about 15 minutes, then add in a bit of spinach/kale for greens. Top with salsa and avocado and eat a banana/apple with it for a big, balanced meal.

I'm also a sucker for cereal. Recently I've been eating just a bowl of wheat squares and a nice glass of aloe juice when I wake up.
  • StarryJD
    StarryJD Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great question. I've been looking for breakfast ideas that will keep me full until lunch. Eggs on whole wheat English muffin are great but I don't want to eat that every day.
    I just discovered chia seed pudding - great breakfast that can be made the night before (I added very little sweetener). We'll see how it does in the keeping me full department. I'm already thinking I'll need to add an egg.
  • kronin23
    kronin23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    yougurt with muesli or cottage cream with blueberies
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Toast and peanut butter is my fave breakfast (if I eat it). One of my favourite egg recipes is for a frittata - there are probably millions of recipes out there, but mine is simple. Saute veggies -onions, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini - in a little olive oil till soft, then pour in 8 slightly scrambled eggs. Cover and cook on low heat till almost set. Add a little cheese to the top, than you can put under the broiler till its golden brown and firm. I then cut this into four, and its a great protein and veg meal for anytime.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Fiber and protein will do the trick. Tim Ferris has some really good ideas. I found about 30 grams of protein in the morning, (mostly plant based, it's healthier) does the trick for me. I do beans, tomatoes, corn and (I use to do 3 eggs).
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    A small bowl of Oatmeals with a sliced banana. IT is filling and low in calories.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    MaiLinna wrote: »
    You don't gain weight because you're too "high carb." You gain weight because you eat too much and move too little.

The most important thing to work on is hitting your daily fibre goals. Starting with consistently hitting your fibre goals with foods that you love will usually cut your calorie consumption simply because it's a deviation from the SAD (Standard American Diet.)

From there you want to make sure your other nutrients are being fulfilled. No lower than 15% fat, but it's best to stay under 35% fat. 42g of protein per day for the average adult, 52g for an active woman and 62g for an active man.

If you're still eating too much and exercising too little, you need to step it up. Cut the portions and get moving. Cutting carbs is never the answer.

As for breakfast:
    Oatmeal with vanilla soy milk and a mashed banana is usually my go-to sweet oatmeal base. My add ins are usually:
    Tbs. ground flax
    Tbs. unsweetened coconut
    1/4 scoop protein powder
    Another fruit that pairs well with the banana

As for savoury oatmeal? Split red lentils and rolled oats in vegetable broth, takes about 15 minutes, then add in a bit of spinach/kale for greens. Top with salsa and avocado and eat a banana/apple with it for a big, balanced meal.

I'm also a sucker for cereal. Recently I've been eating just a bowl of wheat squares and a nice glass of aloe juice when I wake up.

my macros are completely different than your suggestions. i am very active, daily hot yoga practice, i garden and paint an shop and walk dogs and basically whatever the people i work for need. my protein is higher 100, my carbs i keep under 100 and my fat at 25%. i don't know where you got your numbers ,but mine are working for me. actually less that what the program says. thanx for the ideas. have a big bag of flax seed in my fridge. will get it out and put it to use! j
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Toast and peanut butter is my fave breakfast (if I eat it). One of my favourite egg recipes is for a frittata - there are probably millions of recipes out there, but mine is simple. Saute veggies -onions, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini - in a little olive oil till soft, then pour in 8 slightly scrambled eggs. Cover and cook on low heat till almost set. Add a little cheese to the top, than you can put under the broiler till its golden brown and firm. I then cut this into four, and its a great protein and veg meal for anytime.

do you have the breakdown on it. calories, i guess it depends on what and how much i use?