Anyone else following autoimmune protocol paleo?

Options
I recently learned about this nutrition plan which addresses food allergies, gut health and autoimmunity. It's difficult and I sure could use some support if anyone else is following it. :)

Replies

• illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that. Do you have food allergies that you're trying to work around? How does it exactly tackle autoimmunity with nutrition?
  • mellyrunsfar
    mellyrunsfar Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've read that the newer research shows that autoimmunity is caused by a leaky gut which is due to food allergies/sensitivities which cause inflammation plus break down the barrier in the gut. The last book I read Root Cause supports the autoimmune protocol paleo nutrition plan which excludes the standard things in a paleo diet plus a few more things. I like the idea of finding the reason why the body begins attacking it's own tissue rather than just treating the symptoms of such an attack. The premise is if you can heal the gut with proper nutrition you can stop of immune system from attacking the body.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    I've never heard of that. Do you have food allergies that you're trying to work around? How does it exactly tackle autoimmunity with nutrition?

It's basically a diet that's (typically) very low in carbs, very high in fats, and moderate in protein. No grains/legumes/added sugars (except for honey, which I think is okay). High emphasis on coconut oil (for the anti fungal properties, as well as the MCT's, which are supposed to digest easier and be a more direct source of energy than other kinds of fats), rendered fat from pastured animals, and grassfed butter. Fermented foods and bone broth are also AIP staples, as are soft-cooked, non-starchy vegetables. Sweet potatoes and plantains are considered to be "safe" starches, although I don't remember why. No nightshades are allowed, either.

The logic behind AIP is that most food allergies and autoimmune diseases are caused by an autoimmune reaction triggered by Leaky Gut Syndome, and that by eating the foods allowed on AIP, you can "heal and seal" your gut lining, which can cause you to overcome your food allergies/intolerances and recover from autoimmune diseases without having to take drugs for them.

It works for some people, but most people find it too restictive to follow for any great length of time. I take some of the principles from it, and have had great improvements with my own digestive health. For example, I drink bone broth, take really potent probiotics, eat lots of fermented foods, and eat gluten-free. But I do eat grains/legumes, and I do eat added sugars. It's like everything else -- you have to pick and choose which parts really improve your health and quality of life, and which parts are too restrictive to be actually practical.

• KeziasChild
    KeziasChild Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been on the AIP for 6 months. I have inflammatory arthritis, and I found that it alleviated my symptoms. I have no joint pain and little weakness at this point. My blood pressure also normalized. The Whole30 version of AIP does not require a low carb diet. In fact, I eat high carbs, as I consume a lot of fruit. Healthy fats like avocado are encouraged. I also switched to a pescatarian diet, so I eat seafood, allowed veggies and fruit, and coconut. I recently reintroduced a little chocolate on rare occasions as well as cashews. I've lost quite a bit of weight, though the diet is not designed for weight loss. One's weight normalizes with clean eating. It has not been a difficult journey. After about a week of sugar detox, it has been pretty smooth sailing. Eating out can be a challenge. I end up relying on plantain chips and fruit salads on the road. I'd be happy to connect with you for support.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It's just more bullhonkey, another version of going gluten-free even though you don't have sensitivities or Celiac disease.

Paleo in itself is another can of worms altogether.
  • apennock
    apennock Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have a close friend who was able to go off most of her RA medications following the AIP closely. No more steroid injections! If you struggle with autoimmune diseases, I would certainly give it a shot. I've seen the progress and results with my own eyes.
  • mellyrunsfar
    Options
    I've been on the AIP for 6 months. I have inflammatory arthritis, and I found that it alleviated my symptoms. I have no joint pain and little weakness at this point. My blood pressure also normalized. The Whole30 version of AIP does not require a low carb diet. In fact, I eat high carbs, as I consume a lot of fruit. Healthy fats like avocado are encouraged. I also switched to a pescatarian diet, so I eat seafood, allowed veggies and fruit, and coconut. I recently reintroduced a little chocolate on rare occasions as well as cashews. I've lost quite a bit of weight, though the diet is not designed for weight loss. One's weight normalizes with clean eating. It has not been a difficult journey. After about a week of sugar detox, it has been pretty smooth sailing. Eating out can be a challenge. I end up relying on plantain chips and fruit salads on the road. I'd be happy to connect with you for support.

Thank you for this information. You have renewed my hope! I have Hashimotos and my Dr is watching a suspicious lymph node in my neck as well. As we know, problems with autoimmunity can spread and morph into other conditions. I'm so happy to hear a success story.
  • mellyrunsfar
    Options
    apennock wrote: »
    I have a close friend who was able to go off most of her RA medications following the AIP closely. No more steroid injections! If you struggle with autoimmune diseases, I would certainly give it a shot. I've seen the progress and results with my own eyes.

Awesome! Hearing about these success stories warms my heart :)
  • mandylynnie
    mandylynnie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been following AIP for a healing diet for my endless food allergies and two autoimmune diseases. i was not able to eat anything but bone broth and soft boiled meat for months and I got down to 88 lbs but this diet is beginning to heal my gut !!! I can eat almost what I feel is nearly normal now - I can eat almost all the foods allowed on autoimmune Paleo now and I feel so much better than I ever have. please follow me! I'm always looking for other AIP friends
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You do realize that "leaky gut" is a made up thing promoted by those who embrace pseudoscience & woo....
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I've been following the AIP for a few months, and I have seen some of the best results in regards to my health. It's not low carb at all, but some people might do better to do that as well. I have been a huge skeptic about diet for ages (still am about terms like leaky gut -at least more science is coming in), but meds weren't working for me anymore, so I figured what the heck. After trying many things (gluten free, primal, corn free, etc) I finally found something that worked for me. Obviously it's not meant to be long term, and you got to troubleshoot to personalize your health journey, but if you think it's helping, then that's wonderful!
  • amuchasb
    amuchasb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have recently started AIP and am feeling better. I have a long way to go but I prefer trying this as opposed to another new expensive drug, with side effects that are intolerable and sometimes permanent. Whether "leaky gut" is pseudoscience or not I am willing to try eating differently to feel better. I don't think anyone can understand unless they have struggled with an illness/disease that doesn't improve with any of the medications given to help it. I do think diet is just one aspect of any chronic - autoimmune illness, possibly even one of the things that triggered it in the first place. Good luck to all of you who are trying to improve yourselves or your illness with diet changes.