Bcaas?

Options
Lately my muscles feel shot....everyone keeps telling me to get bcaa supplement.
I know it's a big debate as to if they are helpful or not..
Anyone use anything specific?

Replies

• HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Some people say that BCAAs do nothing new that a good protein powder does. I do find that it helps with my recovery. After a hard workout, you should try to:
    • get 8 hours sleep
    • stay super hydrated (waaaaay more than you normally drink)
    • eat the right amount of calories, with as much of it being single ingredient foods as possible (poultry, fish, veggies, fruit, etc.)

And if you already do those, you can take BCAAs (I like Scivation Xtend). I take it on off days, 2-3 times a day, at least 1.5 hours after meals.
  • B28Elliott
    B28Elliott Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Some people say that BCAAs do nothing new that a good protein powder does. I do find that it helps with my recovery. After a hard workout, you should try to:
    • get 8 hours sleep
    • stay super hydrated (waaaaay more than you normally drink)
    • eat the right amount of calories, with as much of it being single ingredient foods as possible (poultry, fish, veggies, fruit, etc.)

And if you already do those, you can take BCAAs (I like Scivation Xtend). I take it on off days, 2-3 times a day, at least 1.5 hours after meals.

I do i do...
    Ok thank you!!!
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a personal trainer for awhile and I was getting very sore...the pain would hit 24 hours post workout. The leg days were the worst. I was soaking with Epsom salts and taking more Advil than I was comfortable with. Trainer suggested BCAAs....I drink it during my workout. It's made a world of difference to me. Post workout pain has decreased and recovery from that is much quicker. My hubby does triathlons and trains year round. He started taking it and feels it has contributed to some great gains he has made. It's a personal choice to use it. I was taken aback when I first bought it how expensive it was. I was worried I wasn't going to finish the container. Well, finished it and bought more. I use Aminocore BCAAs. Fruit punch blast flavour tastes like kool-aid--it's a little sweet but I put a ton of ice in it so it's easier to drink.
    I haven't needed Advil since I started taking this. Works for me. Good luck!
  • B28Elliott
    Options
    KellieTru wrote: »
    I've been working with a personal trainer for awhile and I was getting very sore...the pain would hit 24 hours post workout. The leg days were the worst. I was soaking with Epsom salts and taking more Advil than I was comfortable with. Trainer suggested BCAAs....I drink it during my workout. It's made a world of difference to me. Post workout pain has decreased and recovery from that is much quicker. My hubby does triathlons and trains year round. He started taking it and feels it has contributed to some great gains he has made. It's a personal choice to use it. I was taken aback when I first bought it how expensive it was. I was worried I wasn't going to finish the container. Well, finished it and bought more. I use Aminocore BCAAs. Fruit punch blast flavour tastes like kool-aid--it's a little sweet but I put a ton of ice in it so it's easier to drink.
    I haven't needed Advil since I started taking this. Works for me. Good luck!

So you take it during your workout? Hmm..I see!!!! Thanks so much for the info!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If your diet is generally well balanced and you eat, at least more or less, throughout the day, I don't think there is any meaningful benefit to BCAA supplementation. But everyone is a little different in what they do and how they do it, so much like a multi-vitamin, they probably won't hurt anything if you wanted to try them.

I use Optimum Nutrition stuff because I can get it locally at a shop I like to support. I'm sure there are other good products out there, but my experience is with ON Pro BCAA and ON Amino Energy. Rumor has it they are going to stop making the Amino Energy, but I don't know if there is any truth to it. It's BCAA+caffeine, and I basically drink it like most people drink coffee.
  • B28Elliott
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    If your diet is generally well balanced and you eat, at least more or less, throughout the day, I don't think there is any meaningful benefit to BCAA supplementation. But everyone is a little different in what they do and how they do it, so much like a multi-vitamin, they probably won't hurt anything if you wanted to try them.

I use Optimum Nutrition stuff because I can get it locally at a shop I like to support. I'm sure there are other good products out there, but my experience is with ON Pro BCAA and ON Amino Energy. Rumor has it they are going to stop making the Amino Energy, but I don't know if there is any truth to it. It's BCAA+caffeine, and I basically drink it like most people drink coffee.

My diet for the most part is 100. But my muscles lately are just messed up. I've taken the past 2 weeks off from working to give my body a break. This past Monday was my first day back but I'm still having the same problem. It feels bad bad. Idk, maybe I'll see a chiropractor or something..
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A chiro? I guess the first thing you need to figure out is if it's an injury type of problem or a training/recovery problem. 2 very different issues with VERY different solutions.
  • B28Elliott
    Options
    :/ yup
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a difference since using Amino Energy during my workouts. I get plenty of Protein as well. Studies have shown that amino acids in raw form are more beneficial.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The most palatable and least chalky protein mix I've found ("Smooth Vanilla") has a bunch of BCAAs in it. Two birds with one stone.
  • DreesPerformanceTraining
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I have noticed a difference since using Amino Energy during my workouts. I get plenty of Protein as well. Studies have shown that amino acids in raw form are more beneficial.

What do you consider their raw form? There really is no added benefit of taking a BCAA supplement other than the fact that it's a direct dose of those three specific amino acids, which are very important, but can be found in a balanced diet or high quality protein supplement.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I use BPI Best BCAAs passion fruit flavor. I am, in fact, mad at myself for not bringing them to work today. I have found that it helps with my recovery from both a workout and a migraine, which I had yesterday. I have no idea what's up with that, but it works for me. (YMMV, I am not a doctor, and all those disclaimers.) I also used it after the Independence Day parade last week. 4 miles walking in 90+ degrees and I was wiped out. It seemed to help and quite frankly, I was sick of plain water. I drank half a gallon during the parade.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Look at your protein intake first. If you're not competing then most likely they're a waste.

With reading: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-016-0128-9
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I look at my BCAA's as cheap Gatorade. LoL.

Tasty, zero cals, and I sip them throughout my workout. Most everything here has been covered, so I thought I would throw that out there.

When was the last time you took a deload? You might just need to take a week and recover a little.

I deload by cutting my volume in half. Still get in work, but much less than my standard weeks.
  • B28Elliott
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    I look at my BCAA's as cheap Gatorade. LoL.

Tasty, zero cals, and I sip them throughout my workout. Most everything here has been covered, so I thought I would throw that out there.

When was the last time you took a deload? You might just need to take a week and recover a little.

I deload by cutting my volume in half. Still get in work, but much less than my standard weeks.

This past 2 weeks I haven't done anything at all..and it's driving me bat *kitten* crazy!!! This past Monday was my first day to try getting back into it and through out my workout my legs were dying and the next day it was bad..
    I get alot of protein in my days and a drink more than a gallon of water a day so I'm not sure what's up with me!! Blahhh..
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

What do you consider their raw form? There really is no added benefit of taking a BCAA supplement other than the fact that it's a direct dose of those three specific amino acids, which are very important, but can be found in a balanced diet or high quality protein supplement.

Raw, as in not consumed from other protein sources. Such as meat, dairy, etc. I get plenty of protein from other sources, but the extra BCAA's have made a difference for me. So for me, they have been a benefit.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I drink them, but I generally don't believe they do anything. I drink them because I like the taste, and they're safe, not that expensive, and may help a little. I've been drinking the same brand as my protein, ON which is on Amazon.

BCAAs are 3 of the 9 essential amino acids which you get from whey, eggs, meat, and other sources of protein. I've seen some benefit from having BCAAs in the morning before a workout, but I don't believe there's any clear proof that it works. I drink it because i like the taste and it's not that expensive.

You're saying you're fatigued and asking if BCAAs will fix that. I'd say it can't hurt but would bet, all else equal, it won't. Take another look at your diet. Are you eating enough? Check your macros, maybe you need more carbs? Make sure you're having a small snack before workout. Is it possible you're over training? Give yourself a week of rest or light workout. Cut the weight and reps way back and get extra sleep. See if you feel better the next week.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    If you're getting in enough from your diet, you don't need them. With any supplements the thinking should be that you don't get extra credit once you've met your daily macro/micro requirements. At that point, you're just wasting money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    b28elliott wrote: »
    I get alot of protein in my days and a drink more than a gallon of water a day so I'm not sure what's up with me!! Blahhh..

i had a similar situation (50 yrs old, bike commuter and also been lifting either 5x5 or 3x5 for the past two years. i did everything 'right' and still everything hurt, pretty much all the time.

bcaa's do make a big difference for me. the other one that's made a dramatic difference in my life is creatine, but as far as i can tell the creatine just makes it so my muscles actually absorb and hold onto water. the soreness definitely developed after i'd been taking creating for months, and adding bcaa's definitely did seem to help.

i'm a little flaky about taking it, and at 130-140 pounds i only use about half the dose recommended for guys, so i guess around 4 grammes a day, if that. some days i just skip it entirely. but i don't think i'd feel right without that tub sitting on the kitchen counter for when i want it.

my brand right now is aminocore, key lime cherry flavour. it's pretty strong for my tastes, so i've worked out a nice-for-me system where i fill my blender bottle with water, dump the half scoop in on top, and let it settle to the bottom. then i drink down to where it starts getting strong, refill (carefully), and repeat until the water's just tasting like water again.

another thing i'll mention. i made a post-workout resolution/rule recently hat just goes 'eat something that grew on a plant'. with all the focus on protein and fluid, i'm probably shorting myself on something important like potassium or vitamin c or something, because also seems (anecdotally) to have helped. watermelon is my gold standard for this, but citrus also seems to have been quite helpful.
  • tycodmom
    tycodmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started using 1 UP Nutrition Her BCAA's, Glutamine & Collagen +Hydration Complex 30 and it has made a world of difference. I am not nearly as sore as I was before taking it. It doesn't hurt that it tastes like watermelon jolly rancher either.