Can you gain 4 pounds in two days!!!?

Options
My husband and I went to dinner two nights ago. We went to dinner and had a lot of drinks!!! I had weighted myself that same morning and weighed in at 135.8 (just like every other day). I weighed myself yesterday the day after drinking and weighed in at 137.00. Then, I weighed myself this morning (two days after) and I weighed in at 139!!!! I'm freaking out because it took me forever to lose my weight! I haven't seen those numbers in a really long time.

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    No.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    4 lbs is a lot. Could be a combination of things along with a high calorie day.
    A margaritta at some places can have 400 calories each, and salt on the brim.
    It could be water weight from a high sodium meal. Alcohol can also cause water weight gain. Even TOM can cause temp weight gain.
  • samamaof2
    samamaof2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink, but about a month ago I had like 4 or 5 beers. I weighed like 5 pounds more a few days after. Came back off right away though! Likr 2 days later, i was "normal". Ha ha. You will be fine!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    FYI, for lots of different reason your weight will go up and down about 5 lbs a day. (has to do with water, ect) That's why it's pointless to weigh yourself more then once a week, and at the same time each week.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Of fat, no. Of water and stuff? Yes. I fluctuate 3-5 pounds daily.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yes, but remember that a scale measures more than fat gain/loss. It also measures the weight of fluids and solid waste in your body.

A weight gain of 4 pounds on the scale does not mean you gained 4 pounds of fat.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well, technically yes, since you did. Really, you can gain 4 pounds in a couple of hours by drinking and eating a lot.
    However, you are likely to lose all (or at least by far most) of it again over the next few days. You haven't suddenly gained 4 pounds of fat.
    This weight gain is all due to having more water and food in your system than what you normally do, especially having lots of sodium (often found in large quantities in restaurant foods) will cause you to retain water which can easily stick around for a few days. It should go back to normal within the next few days.

Realistically, you might gain 1 pound or so from a really big eat (if you eat about 3000-4000 calories above your maintenance level), but to gain 4 pounds 'permanently', you'd have to have eaten about 15 000 calories above your maintenance level, which is A LOT (in one go).
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    This would be water weight. Just like I 'lost' 4 pounds in 1 1/2 hours after my long run on Sunday, which was also water weight, fluctuations like this are normal.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations, especially when you indulge, are normal. Most commonly it's water weight, shark week, or stress. Sometimes it can be partly due to calories, but typically not.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Oh sure. I once gained 7 lbs overnight. It's mostly water weight, not fat.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Water, some fat. Get back on the wagon. It'll be all ok in a week or two, in time for your next dinner out. Rinse and repeat.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Weighing daily is how I found out how sodium and alcohol affects my weight. Without doing that, I would have never known.
    Studies show that those that weigh themselves daily lose more weight.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2016/01/03/weight-loss-scales-daily/77584478/
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/06/18/cornell-researchers-actually-you-should-be-weighing-yourself-every-day/
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can easily gain 4 pounds of water weight in two days. I can do it in one day. It is no cause for alarm. You know exactly what happened--went out to eat and ate food out of the ordinary. You may even be getting the effects of that plus some sort of ovulation/menstruation water fluctuations. It's the joy of being a woman :smiley:
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I lose water weight the morning after too much alcohol and gain water weight the day after a food binge....it evens out after a couple of days though.....youv not gained 4lbs of fat so I wouldnt worry.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is possible to gain 4 lbs in two days.

But it's not fat gain. I'm five lbs heavier after two days of heavy labor in the heat, two meals out and me being at the top of my cycle.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water weight. 4 pounds is about 2 liters of water.
  • hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Easily, even on a day when I eat really well, I can gain 3 lbs. from first thing in the morning to the very end of the day. I drink a lot of water everyday so I know a good portion of it is that. The next day it's back down again. I don't think it's abnormal to have to take a few days to get back to normal after a heavy night of drinking and food :)
  • michellevaldez733
    michellevaldez733 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! Your advice and experiences have been very helpful! I'm going to give it couple more days!
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've weighed 2 lbs more after eating a ton and not pooping, so maybe that's what's going on with you (I weigh 107 lbs)