Healthy Monday to Friday, bad choices over the weekend.

Options
Hi, I've been on MFP for a while and I've been able to change a lot of my habits. Monday to Friday when I have to work, I have my routine down, all the good habits of eating healthy, drinking water and going to the gym daily.

But then, the weekend arrives, my gym is closed, the family or friends get together and have a feast and as much as I want to cling to making good choices, i get off track. I know it's not the end of the world but it stills feels like those bad habits shouldnt have a place on my new, healthy life.

Anyone experiencing something similar? Any advice ?

Thanks

Replies

• Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You could always stay at work all weekend.

Maybe not the best advice. How about trying to build a routine/schedule into your weekend so you start to feel the same structure like you do at work. And don't be afraid to say no to large feasts. Eat, but eat a little. Good luck.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have the same trouble. If I manage my portions, stay away from fries and such it is not too bad. Give me a few jumbo sandwiches with fries and I am up several pounds. The beer doesn't help either. Getting at least one good run in also helps.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel the same on the weekends. I plan, to the tee, my Mon-Fri. Weekends are a free-for-all making it difficult to stay on track without the plan/routine. However, I do continue to make conscious decisions and continue to log my food...Whenever I am tempted to make a bad decision, I enter it into MFP first.. Most of the time, I say forget about it after reviewing the food/drink stats. It's really a mental game.

I tend to accidentally "IF" on the weekends, usually won't eat til 11-12pm, once I am up and ready for the day I try to plan out my possible meals for the day leading up to a dinner with friends and leaving as many calories I can for that occasion. I also try to plan fun and active activities with my friends to get extra exercising. Hiking, just walking, playing a sport you enjoy (favorite is Frisbee), just something to keep your body moving.

I have lost 40lbs since April and I have made some really huge "mistakes" with my diet. My success comes from bouncing back where in the past it's been a downhill spiral.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it would be helpful to save a few extra calories during the week, when you are so scheduled, and then spend the extra on the weekend when you are not in such a structured environment.
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    JustHilsie wrote: »
    Hi, I've been on MFP for a while and I've been able to change a lot of my habits. Monday to Friday when I have to work, I have my routine down, all the good habits of eating healthy, drinking water and going to the gym daily.

But then, the weekend arrives, my gym is closed, the family or friends get together and have a feast and as much as I want to cling to making good choices, i get off track. I know it's not the end of the world but it stills feels like those bad habits shouldnt have a place on my new, healthy life.

Anyone experiencing something similar? Any advice ?

Thanks

Could it be down to boredom? When I'm busy, I can stick to my diet without problems. If I get bored, I'm more likely to fall off the wagon.
  • Marss86
    Marss86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem!
    I workout at least once on the weekend or try do some some outdoor activity.

As for as diet goes, perhaps try eating less for breakfast or lunch. And then you can slightly indulge for dinner or whenever you hang out with friends/family. Also try to be highly selective of which indulgent thing you want to consume... Is it the beer or the nachos ? Or maybe 2 beers and a just a couple buffalo wings.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I think we all go through this at some point. You just have to find a way that works for you to get through it.

We walk the dogs 4-5 miles per day Saturday and Sunday mornings, and I usually don't eat until lunch time on those days. I get some activity in, save some calories on breakfast, and have more room to play with dinner foods. I'm usually up a pound or two on Monday from water retention, but that's why I started to make my Saturday morning my official weigh in day.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Great advice posted already. Even though your gym is closed on the weekends you can still workout. Do a home workout or get outside to walk / run or take a class of some sort if possible. I find that getting in a good morning workout helps me manage the rest of the weekend days that are unscheduled and generally involve socializing and food.

Or, if you like to relax and sleep in fit in a mid day workout. Or just eat less at other times to compensate for the socializing. Trial and error. Just see what works for you.
  • JustHilsie
    JustHilsie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Great advice posted already. Even though your gym is closed on the weekends you can still workout. Do a home workout or get outside to walk / run or take a class of some sort if possible.

I could sign for a salsa class or something like that on the weekends... great idea! thank you so much.

• JustHilsie
    Options
    santje00 wrote: »

Could it be down to boredom? When I'm busy, I can stick to my diet without problems. If I get bored, I'm more likely to fall off the wagon.

You are absolutely right! I guess I'll have to make sure my house is the cleanest and my closets are the best organized on the neighbourhood.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of the same.
    Part of my issue is I plan for meals during the week but don't on weekends. I fix it by treating my weekends like the weekdays and planning my meals.
    Also, plan for one "good" meal for that feast. That way you aren't totally sacrificing those things you enjoy but you aren't blowing your entire weekend eating either.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    weekends are SO tough! i just started IF 16:8 this week and it's helped me with calorie control already, so i'm hoping it helps through the weekend too. i don't have any new suggestions...for me it does :sigh: typically come down to willpower, which waxes and wanes. good luck!

• JustHilsie
    Options
    You could always stay at work all weekend.

My boss sure gonna love that! :)

• hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Facing the same thing. I live by myself so if I say no to going out on the weekends I will literally spend two days talking to no one but the cats. But if I go out I have drinks and drinks lead to snacks. And more drinks. Then I spend a few days trying to reverse the caloric damage done over the weekend and by the time I'm back on track it's Friday again and the cycle repeats itself.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm a little loser on the weekends...never really hurt me any...I still lost weight and I've been maintaining for over three years. I pretty much go to some kind of BBQ gathering every weekend...I enjoy myself and enjoy some good food with the understanding that just because all of the food is there doesn't mean I need to eat all of the food...I usually have a plate of good grub and call it a day.
  • JustHilsie
    Options
    Thanks everyone for making me feel like I am not alone in this and for the fantastic advice!