Program yelling at me for eating too little

Options
I just started using this program. I used to use my daily plate, which I loved, but I cook a lot more now and this site allows me to transport recipes to calculate calories a lot easier.

Anyway, I put in my height, activity, etc. apparently, I am eating too little calories and when I try to save my input for the day, it is telling me that I'm not eating enough and therefore will have no access to charts and the like.

I did go in and manually lower my calorie goals and such, but it is still not happy with me.

Is there a way around this? I get they want me to eat more, but I'm just not doing it in this phase of my plan.

Thanks.

Replies

• NicoleBurgoz
    NicoleBurgoz Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Not sure, but I think it will keep yelling at you :smile:

Did you try to up your weight loss goal?
    Or lower your activity level?

Besides, you probably know that your body will go in 'starvation' mode when you eat too little? It will just bite you once you up yourbintake again and save for the next drought.
  • Puravidablonde
    Puravidablonde Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not intentionally eating little calories. I'm a vegetarian and since I live in Costa Rica, have a lot of fruits and veggies available to me. I did both of those things and they are still yelling. Lol. No biggie, I'll ignore them.......haha
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It only does that if you net less than 1000 calories and unless you are very short that isn't enough to met all your nutritional needs
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It does that if you are eating less than 1000 calories per day. I'm not sure what your plan is, but regular under-eating can lead to serious malnourishment issues, so you may want to reevaluate your plan.
  • NicoleBurgoz
    NicoleBurgoz Posts: 43 Member
    Options

There is no such thing as starvation mode but it is unhealthy to eat less than 1200 cals

I stand corrected then :smile:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    It does that if you are eating less than 1000 calories per day. I'm not sure what your plan is, but regular under-eating can lead to serious malnourishment issues, so you may want to reevaluate your plan.
    This. Eat 1200 minimum (1200 net if exercising).

If you're exercising, eat back only half of those calories.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    First thing I would do is go back and make sure you are entering food properly. There is a good chance that you are underestimating your food if you are having problems hitting 1000 calories unless you are intentionally undereating.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    First thing I would do is go back and make sure you are entering food properly. There is a good chance that you are underestimating your food if you are having problems hitting 1000 calories unless you are intentionally undereating.

She overrode the program for a lower goal. I suspect it's intentional.
  • fitgirldc
    fitgirldc Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Mine is "yelling" at me too! Shrugs..
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Height, weight, goal weight? What rate of loss did you select? Are you logging accurately, using a food scale ideally? Are you exercising, and if so, are you eating back a portion of those calories?

If you are having trouble hitting a minimum calorie target, try some of the suggestions here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • Puravidablonde
    Puravidablonde Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I appreciate the help. I'm not under eating, I just eat a lot of things with lower calories and I'm not going to force myself to eat more if I'm not hungry. I really appreciate the ideas. My question was about the program, not asking for advice on my calorie consumption.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    loridz wrote: »
    Thanks all. I appreciate the help. I'm not under eating, I just eat a lot of things with lower calories and I'm not going to force myself to eat more if I'm not hungry. I really appreciate the ideas. My question was about the program, not asking for advice on my calorie consumption.

Of you are eating less than 1200 you are undereating and you are putting your health at serious risk though I know you aren't concerned about that.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Generally when people are getting that message and hesitant to share what their calorie goals are, it is a sign they are undereating...
  • bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find that a pain in the backside too, I've got a good reason to lose weight fast in the short term, plus I literally could not eat back what I'm burning at the gym. Not everyday anyway
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Not hungry & getting adequate nutrition is not the same thing though. A 300 calorie lettuce salad may be very filling (high volume, high fiber) however it's not doing much to support existing lean muscle mass because it has little nutritional value. Many high volume foods have little nutritional value.

You need enough fuel to support your heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. But your existing lean muscle mass can help fuel the most important stuff. A full head of hair....not so important. Google fast weight loss & hair loss.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    MFP does not recommend eating under 1200 calories/day and will not allow you to access the charts as they will not condone eating too little. 1200 is the minimum amount of calories recommended for women, hence, them "yelling" at you. It will not change as long as you are eating under 1200 calories.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

If you're eating less than 1000 calories a day, unless you're very small, you're under-eating. I'm not sure that you understand good nutrition, from what you're saying. When you look at your macros at the bottom of your food diary, are you getting a good balance of Protein, Carbs and Fats? If you're mostly eating low-calorie vegetables and fruit, you may not be getting enough protein and fat in your diet, which can lead to problems like anemia, osteoperosis, and a host of other problems.

You're asking about the program: It's designed specifically to not let you be unhealthy about your weight loss and that's why it's 'yelling' at you. Add some beans, lentils, eggs, cheese- high protein, high calorie dense foods to your diet. One egg and a half-cup of beans should help.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    bladebiker wrote: »
    I find that a pain in the backside too, I've got a good reason to lose weight fast in the short term, plus I literally could not eat back what I'm burning at the gym. Not everyday anyway

You *may* be overestimating your exercise calories.