Sausage suggestions

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Chicken or turkey are lean white meats. Deer, elk, or bison if you want a lean red meat. Commercial pork is leaner than heritage breeds.

Primal cuts over sausage if you want the biggest portion size for your calorie buck because fat is added to sausage. That is the entire point of sausage, after all. To not waste edible butchery scraps/organs/fat trimmed from primal cuts when breaking down a carcass.

Lot of choices to choose from in the refrigerated section, read the labels and pick one that fits your wants. Or your local meat locker if you can afford such. Flavorings will affect calorie count accordingly.

Great post! But reading it and looking at your avi is making me scared.
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    In my experience reduced-fat breakfast sausage has extra sodium to compensate for the removal of fat, so pick your poison. I tend to use regular pork sausage in my breakfast burritos, but I drain as much fat as I can [drain on paper towels, rinse in filtered water] so it's a bit healthier.

Sodium doesn't have calories so it's not something I stress about.

How do you track your drained and rinsed sausage to account for the change in fat?
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Chicken or turkey are lean white meats. Deer, elk, or bison if you want a lean red meat. Commercial pork is leaner than heritage breeds.

Primal cuts over sausage if you want the biggest portion size for your calorie buck because fat is added to sausage. That is the entire point of sausage, after all. To not waste edible butchery scraps/organs/fat trimmed from primal cuts when breaking down a carcass.

Lot of choices to choose from in the refrigerated section, read the labels and pick one that fits your wants. Or your local meat locker if you can afford such. Flavorings will affect calorie count accordingly.

Very helpful and good points.

I was also just looking for flavor/brand recommendations since I've never really tried much other than a couple kinds.
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles are my fave!!! Mix 'em into some scrambled eggs and top with a little pico or hot sauce. Totally worth getting out of bed for. :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ricky-Gervais-Holding-in-Laughter-Arms-Crossed.gif
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I love Morningstar Sausage patties, made from soy. My breakfast lately has been two patties on a whole wheat english muffin with a plant protein and banana smoothie. It gives me 59 grams of protein for breakfast.

+1 for morningstar. We like the links better, but even the meat afficionados in our household like the veggie sausages - sausage is one of the best fake meats because it doesn't depend on having good meat in it, it's made of odds and ends anyway, is more about the seasonings.
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I bread the sausage apart with a knife and then I boil it. I think this helps to remove a a lot of the fat.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    In my experience reduced-fat breakfast sausage has extra sodium to compensate for the removal of fat, so pick your poison. I tend to use regular pork sausage in my breakfast burritos, but I drain as much fat as I can [drain on paper towels, rinse in filtered water] so it's a bit healthier.

Sodium doesn't have calories so it's not something I stress about.

How do you track your drained and rinsed sausage to account for the change in fat?

There are entries in the food database that account for drained and rinsed meats. According to one using Farmland sausage, draining and rinsing the sausage reduces fat content by 50% [from 24g to 12g for 2 oz]. I tend to only use half a patty [1oz] for a breakfast burrito so it reduces the fat content of it to 6g.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    This morning I made a liverwurst, egg and cheese on english muffin....just 'cuz.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I had some haggis bright and early this morning, does that count?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I had some haggis bright and early this morning, does that count?

I think so. I'm also thinking of grabbing some morcilla on the way home for breakfast tomorrow.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I like big thick sausages, the skinny chipolattas don't do it for me

So I just have the one
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Jones' Turkey Sausage Patties -- YUM!
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    The chicken apple sausages from Sam's Club are really good, as well as the Johnsonville brand ones. I'm experimenting with different brands as well, to help increase protein and not add a lot of fat.
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like Butterball Smoked Sausage.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

So I just have the one

You win.
  • hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has a whole bunch of different flavor sausages, most of them are chicken sausage and pre-cooked. Perfect for chopping up and adding to things!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... Sausages! I'm having 2 for dinner!
    I can never pass on a sausage. Extra crispy on the outside and juicy inside.

Home made Croatian pork sausages and cevape are the shizz.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

So I just have the one

I'll have to admit that I too can only have one sausage. I would be too filled up with two. I'd be splitting at the seems. I can't imagine the people who can have three or four sausages per day and not be wrecked.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

So I just have the one

I'll have to admit that I too can only have one sausage. I would be too filled up with two. I'd be splitting at the seems. I can't imagine the people who can have three or four sausages per day and not be wrecked.

It's a job but someone has to do it!