What I've learned...

FitnessGirl11mfp
FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,
I messaged someone with some things that I've learned/have helped me along the way, and hope that they help this person. I wish I would have known these a long time ago. I don't want to come off as a know it all, but hopefully this helps someone.
SW 210
CW 153
GW 130

1. Don't think of it as "good" vs "bad" calories. Food is just food. Calories give us energy to survive. Thinking of good and bad food will only add feelings of guilt. There's no need to feel guilty about foods you enjoy. Enjoy them in moderation.
2. Don't think of this as a "diet", but a lifestyle change. Diets tend to have an expiration date, are unhealthy, too restrictive, etc. Find what works for you and make sure it is sustainable for life, not just a day, week, month.
3. Don't fall for fad diets. Things like diet pills, teas, shakes, meal plans that promise results if you spend money, etc. I'm sure there's lots more out there. They don't work. If they do work, it's because you're in a calorie deficit, which is possible without spending money. Save your money. These scams either don't work or are unhealthy.
4. "Clean" eating (depending on what it means to you) is good for health reasons, but is not necessary for weightloss and will not give you quicker results.
5. Buy a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING. Measure liquids with measuring cups. Log accurately.
6. Don't get discouraged with fluctuations because weightloss is not linear. Remember that slow and steady wins the race.
7. Don't give up!!

Feel free to add any that I missed :-) Good luck on your journeys!

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Solid post.
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    Solid post.

Thank you :-) Hopefully it helps someone who may be struggling.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Bump. Well said.
  • bcturell
    bcturell Posts: 1 Member
    First off, Well done on your weight loss so far. That takes real commitment and strength of will so hats off to you.

Secondly - I agree with everything you've said. I've lost 52 pounds and have been looking at it the same exact way as you are. There are only two things I would add:

9. (as someone already added a good #8) Don't try to lose weight too quickly. 1-2 lbs/week is fast enough. The faster you lose, the easier and faster it will come back because --

10. Don't starve yourself. For a woman who is, say, 5'5" and only sedentary to mildly active, eating less that 1000-1200 calories a day on a regular basis will damage your metabolism permanently. The body goes into starvation mode and even when you're done "dieting," your metabolism will slow down, causing you to gain weight even if taking in the same amount you dieted with. You body needs energy to function. Food provides that energy. Eat. Don't starve. If you're actually hungry and just not bored or thirsty, eat something.
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Bump. Well said.

Thank you :-) Hopefully someone will benefit from this. I know how much of a struggle weightloss can be especially with all of the misleading information out there.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Perfect post.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    You summed it up pretty good. I'll add a few.

You'll have good days you will have bad days just learn from them. One or two bad days isn't going to hurt you in the long run as long as it doesn't become a daily thing.

Be accountable to yourself. What I mean by that is if I go over my calorie limit I still log it. The way I look at it is if you lie on your logging, the only person you're lying to is yourself.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Good post op !

I'll add one too-
    You don't have to go low carb to lose weight. Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. Calories in calories out.
    So many on here preach the low carb propaganda without ever mentioning that weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. They make it out to be like low carb magically makes people lose weight. If someone has a medical condition or just likes eating low carb then that's great but there's certainly nothing magical about it for the average healthy person and it offers no added benefit for someone like myself.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Refreshing! Thanks and good luck, OP.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Awesome post!

I appears that great minds think alike:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/37106368/#Comment_37106368

:smiley:
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    bcturell wrote: »
    10. Don't starve yourself. For a woman who is, say, 5'5" and only sedentary to mildly active, eating less that 1000-1200 calories a day on a regular basis will damage your metabolism permanently. The body goes into starvation mode and even when you're done "dieting," your metabolism will slow down, causing you to gain weight even if taking in the same amount you dieted with. You body needs energy to function. Food provides that energy. Eat. Don't starve. If you're actually hungry and just not bored or thirsty, eat something.

No, just no. Not the "starvation mode" nonsense again -,-

• Dreamer_Aly
    Dreamer_Aly Posts: 29 Member
    Great post! Thanks!
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    Great additions everyone! And thank you for the words of encouragement. I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. Single mom of a 6 month old and he keeps me on my toes lol.