The Great Tortilla Debate: Corn v Wheat

Options
Ok, let's be real - Mexican food is some of the MOST DELICIOUS of all time.

For large meals I'm a sucker for tacos OR burritos. I need to decide (my anxiety around food is exacerbated by variety and decisions) whether I stock my larder with smaller corn or larger (wheat) flour tortillas.

Which is the healthiest choice?

Im prioritizing LOW CALS and SUGAR, then low carbs, high protein and fiber, and the most important: lotsa surface area!

Using TJ's products as a control...

5 corn tortillas are:
300 Calories,
60g carbs,
5g fiber,
5g protein,
2.5g fat

2 wheat flour tortillas are:
280 Calories,
40g carbs,
6g fiber,
6g protein,
10g fat

2 rice flour tortillas are:
260 Calories,
48g carbs,
4g fiber,
4g protein
5g fat

3 multigrain tortillas are:
240 Calories,
45g carbs,
21g fiber,
18g protein,
9g fat,
3G SUGAR

Unless those multigrain tortilla are tiny...they may be the clear winner here.

LET THE COMMENT WAR BEGIN!

Replies

• Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You didn't list all the nutrients, so it's impossible to even guess which are healthiest.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Why would any of them be unhealthy?
  • Zipp237
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    He didn't say they were unhealthy, but that he's trying to select the healthiest one.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    He didn't say they were unhealthy, but that he's trying to select the healthiest one.

So what say you?
  • Zipp237
    Options

So what say you?
    As I said, there is no way to know. We only got dribs and drabs of nutritional info.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Are you eating tortillas every single meal? If you are not don't worry about it so much. Eat what tastes best to you.

I would use corn for tacos, white (but probably not whole wheat) for burritos.

I would never use the multi-grain tortillas for mexican food. I might use them as a sandwich wrap. I can't comment on the rice because I have not tried it.
  • Alluminati
    Options

So what say you?
    As I said, there is no way to know. We only got dribs and drabs of nutritional info.

I understand but even without all the nutrients listed, unless one of them contains cyanide or something, what would be a deciding factor? Ain't nobody got time for that. :neutral:
  • Zipp237
    Options

So what say you?

I understand but even without all the nutrients listed, unless one of them contains cyanide or something, what would be a deciding factor? Ain't nobody got time for that. :neutral:
    I have time for it.

You don't have time to look at the nutritional content of food, but you do have time to announce that you don't have time...something's off there.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

So what say you?

This 100℅

Op eat what ever tortilla fits in your personal criteria. Don't over think things like this. It really doesn't have to be this complicated. It's not like you must only eat tortillas for each meal for ever.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I tried some rice tortillas recently, they were not pleasant (in my opinion)! I'm not too keen on the corn ones either, to be honest, so if I want one I'll have wheat. I buy cheaper WalMart brand ones (wholewheat) that are 100 cals each, but don't have a pack on hand so I couldn't tell you the nutritional values.

I'd agree with bioklutz - if you're not eating them all the time, don't worry too much and just go with whichever tastes best to you and suits your recipe. :)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I would think multigrain would interfere with the taste of my tacos. I prefer flour tortillas, but enjoy a crunchy every now and then. Old el paso makes a bold nacho cheese one that tastes like a Dorito.... Yum

When I'm really trying to watch my calories I skip the tortillas and make myself a taco salad. I use hot sauce or salsa as my dressing.
  • Alluminati
    Options

So what say you?

I have time for it.

You don't have time to look at the nutritional content of food, but you do have time to announce that you don't have time...something's off there.

Nah
  • Alluminati
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I would think multigrain would interfere with the taste of my tacos. I prefer flour tortillas, but enjoy a crunchy every now and then. Old el paso makes a bold nacho cheese one that tastes like a Dorito.... Yum

When I'm really trying to watch my calories I skip the tortillas and make myself a taco salad. I use hot sauce or salsa as my dressing.

I must agree. I only eat multi grain if it's on a wrap. With Mexican food the corn and flour taste the best to me.
  • Zipp237
    Options

So what say you?

I have time for it.

Nah
    If you have the time to announce that you don't have time to look at nutrients, you have the time to look at them.

We all make time for the things that are important to us.
  • Alluminati
    Options

So what say you?

I have time for it.

Nah
    If you have the time to announce that you don't have time to look at nutrients, you have the time to look at them.

Us? Are you royal?
  • Zipp237
    Options

So what say you?

I have time for it.

Nah

Us? Are you royal?
    This you have time for.