How do you reward yourself

Options
2»

Replies

• ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I do not reward behavior that should be the norm.

Yep, should not have to reward normal behavior. IMO, one of the problems with the US today, no just diet, but in general.

To each his own, but a little positive reinforcement goes a long way! :)
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Improving one's health and feeling better physically, potentially being able to live longer with a better quality of life, i.e. giving yourself the best life possible as someone posted above, isn't enough?

Sure, there are essentials in life, but why not have some extra fun? That, to me, is giving myself the best life possible. Carpe Damn Diem. Others' mileage may vary. Happy Friday!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just enjoy it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    The results are my reward.

It actually never occurred to me to reward myself until I'd been here several months and people were talking about rewards.

I considered what kind of reward I'd like ... couldn't think of anything ... and never did anything about it.

But in thinking more about it over the last few months, as I said above, the results are the reward.

I've lost the weight. I've accomplished most of my cycling goals for 2016 already. I can fit in my skinny clothes again. Airplane seats seem to have widened and have become so much more comfortable. I can climb the stairs at work while chatting to my coworkers. My poor bloodwork results have rectified themselves and they're all good now. My doctor is so excited by my weight loss every time she sees me.

I feel like ME again.
  • fireytiger
    fireytiger Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    While I agree with people who say that the results are their own reward (to a point), it's sometimes not sufficient for me. I am also dealing with disordered eating issues, and encouraging myself with little (non-food) treats on occasion when I meet goals is somewhat necessary. It doesn't have to be all the time or for every little thing. Usually it's for every 10 pounds, and the reward is some small thing that i've been wanting but usually put off getting because it's not a need. Like a couple weeks ago, I bought a peasant blouse to wear as part of a costume for the renaissance festival this fall. Inexpensive, but something I had really wanted. I've also considered buying a pair of shoes or an inexpensive accessory like jewelry or a scarf, or going and having a manicure or a pedicure for meeting goals.
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I just wanted to see how every rewards themselves for staying on a diet plan or even just recording every day?

I don't really reward myself because I'm trying not to see this as a diet but a lifestyle change. The weight going down is the main reward in my book.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    It's not a reward in the traditional sense, but I spend a ridiculous amount per month on my gym membership when I could get one for $10/month. I love this gym; they have awesome specialty classes and the group atmosphere I'm looking for. I justify spending the higher amount because it helps me to achieve my healthy lifestyle in a way that I genuinely enjoy. So my "reward" for being healthy and regularly going to the gym is that I get to spend money on the gym that I want to be at.

Also, I see nothing wrong with rewarding yourself for "normal" behavior. With losing weight, people are often re-setting what they consider to be normal. If small rewards help people to re-wire their neural pathways to frame healthy food and exercise as positive associations, then reward away! It's all about what helps you as the individual achieve your goal.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey and I had weight goal at the end of every month I go out for a nice dinner. Did that for about 3 or 4 months.

My reward is just the lifestyle I'm able to live. These are just a few. I can play 18 holes of golf without pain and huffin and puffin. Get up off the floor or the sand without needing something to grab. Go for a long walk with Friends Are Family and not lag behind them and not have pain.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Looking better, feeling better and being healthier ARE the reward.