What should be the biggest meal of the day?

Options
124»

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    xvolution wrote: »
    For me breakfast is usually the biggest, since there's a 12 hour stretch between dinner and breakfast.

Makes sense, but how do you get 12 hours? You must go to bed really early!!

I usually have dinner around 10pm, go to bed around 2am then have breakfast at 10am.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    jade097 wrote: »
    Bigger breakfast and lunch or a big dinner?

I have not read all the replies, but in terms of weight loss when you eat most of your calories doesn't matter as long as you stick to your calorie goal. If a bigger breakfast helps you do that, then eat a bigger breakfast. If eating most of your calories late in the day helps you stick to your calorie goal, eat that way. If spreading them out in some sort of even pattern helps, do that. However, if you stick to your calorie goal, you can eat your calories at any time.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ScreeField wrote: »
    so, you are saying, the study (showing that IF works in mice) is wrong because IF works in humans? and your reason is: because the study used "a limited subgroup of people observed with nothing but dietary recall". The researchers did not use humans, nor did they ask the mice in the study to recall what they ate.

A foundation of your theory of intermittent fasting IS the study I cited. You can't counter or you just throw your entire theory (IF) out the door. believe it or not, you are agreeing with me.

Uhh... maybe try looking at your second study saying that people who ate later had worse weight loss outcomes.
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I usually have a heavy dinner and a lighter lunch and breakfast. I also have a small snack after breakfast and after lunch.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Only heavier dinners on the weekends. I am off schedule for eating like I do during the week since I am with family all weekend.

During the week I spread the calories out all day from breakfast all the way till the small snack I have before bed.

To loose weight, the body does not care when you get them in. Or at least I have not found that it really cares one way or the other for myself.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    so, you are saying, the study (showing that IF works in mice) is wrong because IF works in humans? and your reason is: because the study used "a limited subgroup of people observed with nothing but dietary recall". The researchers did not use humans, nor did they ask the mice in the study to recall what they ate.

A foundation of your theory of intermittent fasting IS the study I cited. You can't counter or you just throw your entire theory (IF) out the door. believe it or not, you are agreeing with me.

Uhh... maybe try looking at your second study saying that people who ate later had worse weight loss outcomes.

What ScreeField has been trying to tell you is that the study DOES support IF.
  • jgubdlach
    jgubdlach Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Post workout meal should be the biggest in my opinion. It's the most important along with breakfast as we are in a fasted state when we awake.
    Hope that helps
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    KinkJarfld wrote: »
    Wifey.

Wrong forum. Chit Chat Fun & Games is over there==========>
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For me, the biggest meal is usually later in the day. Mind you, when I say "later in the day", I'm eating dinner at 5-6 PM (which is early for most people). If I've got calories left after dinner, then I might have a snack at 7 PM (othertimes, I just drink juice or milk to fill in the calories), but I don't usually eat after that. I can't eat anything substantial after 9PM.

On weekends, I generally have my biggest meal at breakfast time - which can be anywhere from 7AM to 9AM (depending on what I'm doing that day). My parents have their dinner at noontime and have light meals at breakfast and suppertime.

It's a matter of personal preference - just like when you actually eat each meal.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options

can't see the forest for the trees