How do you motivate yourself to keep logging?

Options
2»

Replies

• hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm back after losing 50-60 pounds a couple of years ago. A light switch just flipped for me about 2 months ago and here I am. At this point I log because I'm comfortable with it. I love my food scale, I love lifting weights and I tolerate the scale. :)
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Since I use the app, it's easy for me to log my meals as I'm eating. The only time I don't log is during the holidays when it's a lot of food and it's a little difficult to actually measure how much of each food you're eating.
  • tinallen863
    tinallen863 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My Health and Happiness is my responsibility. Like finances, I must manage my food budget with care. I can't imagine spending money and using credit cards without constant monitoring. It would be certain financial ruin. Healthy weight and optimal diet is far more important than money. MFP can be done in just a few minutes a day. I make it a priority. If you have time to brush your teeth you have time to log. Good Luck, Tina
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    The more you do it, and the larger your meals database gets, the easier it is.
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You just need to change your attitude.
    If you're serious about attaining your objective you'll suck it up and get into the routine of it.
    If you can't manage logging than you likely can't stick to a sensible exercise program or healthy eating patterns and you will fail.

Things don't magically fall into place.
    There is no trick, no shortcut, it stops and starts with you.
  • ljbuss
    ljbuss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have not been a consistent logger until recently again . First time I used MFP three years ago it helped me to lose almost 50 pounds. When I stopped logging my food and exercise the weight crept back up - and now having to reverse course and re lose some of what I had already accomplished . So logging in again every day is a priority for me. When I tell myself I don't have time it's not really true. Doesn't take long as a habit end of day . And the person that said they "pre logged" is onto something . I do that some days for both food and exercise when I can . I think it helps set the "intention " - and can always edit if the day unfolds a different way.
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I use 7 weeks, which is an app that is like a checkbox for each day, I enjoy checking it. Also, I usually find recipes in the evening for the week, so I have things to look forward too. Plan ahead and then its not too tricky.

You can use frequent foods, it takes like 2 minutes a day and is well worth it.
  • mccokat
    mccokat Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I like keeping the streak going. Also, once I stopped thinking about it as a pain and just started doing it, my life became a lot easier.
    Besides, I was kinda curious as to how many calories I was eating anyway.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is not the only way to be successful. It's just a tool to help you reach your main objective - if you want to lose weight and maintain goal weight, that would be to stop overeating for good. I like to play with numbers, so I made the food diary into a game. My problem was that I overate. Playing with numbers helped me stop that. Playing with numbers has always had that effect, but only temporary - I have used different programs before. The crazy thing that happened this time, with MFP, was that I learnt how to eat. Counting calories started to feel like a tedious effort when I didn't need it anymore. So I don't use the food diary on a daily basis anymore, I just use it occasionally to compare stuff and run new recipes through the recipe builder. 50 pounds down, maintaining for 21 months.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of the same stuff frequently so it's all kind of in there for me now which makes it easier.
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Seeing results (scale and non scale) are always the best motivators for me. I just recommend reminding yourself to be patient constantly. It's easy to give up if you expect all your progress to happen overnight. Consistency and focusing on your goal one day at a time should help.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like to imagine I'm on a perverse reality show, that it's all a silly game. Also I like numbers, and honestly it's fun for me to weigh the food and then log it, see how it adds up. Like solving a mystery! Also it helps me lose weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i logged every day for almost 2 years.

i dont anymore. still losing weight. i keep a rough mental tally, and after this long, know what i can get away with and what i can't.

that said, if the scale stops moving for more than a couple of weeks (which has always been normal for me), I know where to start to look for the problem ;)
  • sarahfeelingood
    sarahfeelingood Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I feel for you OP. I've been off and on, never more than a few days at a time for years. This time around I'm mentally not "starting and stopping". I'm still going and if I didn't log a day then I log the next day like the "mess up" never happened. I don't try to keep a streak or perfect record. That would inevitably fail. I also had to come to the conclusion after taking an intentional break from counting calories for about 6 months, that while I CAN lose weight without counting/logging, it's a lot harder without concrete numbers and evidence of the deficit. For example, you could cut out soda. If you're a big soda drinker that might make a deficit for you that results in weight loss without counting a single calorie. But most of us here require more than that. While you can make changes such as the "no more soda" change and slowly make a deficit, I have come to the conclusion that the inconvenience is worth the effort because I KNOW it WILL work if I do it. You may have to adjust here and there, but if you do log your meals and eat at a calorie deficit, you WILL lose weight. Knowing that it may be inconvenient, but it's just about guaranteed to work, pushed me to a place where logging is now worth it. Just like getting up for work is worth it when you earn a paycheck. I came to this conclusion after reading some stuff by this guy named Pete. Here's his website, and he has a book I'd like to get too: www.straightforwardfatloss.com
    Also, he's into counting macros but I personally don't worry about that for now. Best of luck! Friend me if you want!

Sarah
  • Tracie5225
    Tracie5225 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is also my 2nd time but as I need to re-lose the weight I gained I am determined to keep with the logging. I am on day 51 so far. There have been a couple of times where I was eating out and so I quickly guess my calories and just entered once, but I also tried to over estimate it so it was realistic.

I like the idea of entering my meals in advance, when I have more time. It also helps to see how many calories I am planning for the day so I don't find myself over my allowance. If there are any changes to the day I can always amend them.

The longer you log the easier it gets as your main foods are easily accessible. Also the more you log the more it will help you and it will become part of your daily routine.

I think of it as a vital part of my day and it is without doubt the best weight loss tool to get me to my goal.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    It's literally 2 minutes less time scrolling on Facebook per day. Bonus!
  • Dar_Line86
    Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Having friends helps me to stay motivated and helps me to be accountable.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Some people find that logging is easier (and they are more compliant) if they pre-log the entire day's food and then stick to the plan. You can always change an entry if you ate more or less or something else. This is also a good strategy if you are going to a restaurant in the evening and you know what you are going to order. Decreases the chance of impulsively picking something you don't really have calories banked for (leading to regrets later).

Edited to add: I see that someone else already mentioned pre-logging, sorry.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Because I know I will get fat and quickly if I don't log.