The Great Tortilla Debate: Corn v Wheat

Options
13»

Replies

• TimothyIrvine
    TimothyIrvine Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So I suck at posting comments apparently, sorry for multiple replies. Thank you for the suggestions and dissections! (Idk what other nutrients would be needed for simple and playful discussion of tortillas besides Cals, 3 main macros, and fiber; which is what I said were my focus. Y'all wanna calculate potassium and cholesterol intake...?) I think at this point I'll forget about the Ole! brand and go for the TJ's multigrain for now despite some flavor issues people raised. Thanks to the person who took the time to look up the Ole! ingredients to check the fiber source. You're the real MVP. I will be sure to report back after thorough research on a weekend cheat day of breakfast burritos!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    You didn't list all the nutrients, so it's impossible to even guess which are healthiest.

Do you seriously expect him to type in all the ingredients so you can make an ethical judgment on his food?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    There's a third choice. Rice! The Ole! brand of Extreme Fitness High Fiber Low Carb tortilla is large, 50 calories, 10 mg insoluble fiber, 45g, tasty, flexible and strong. Each morning I make a burrito filled with celery, onions, mushrooms, meat and condiments. You can put anything you want in it, but Ole' has killed the category for 'healthy tortilla'. I get mine at Wal-Mart. The insoluble fiber comes from brown rice.

Looks to me like the fiber comes from wood pulp (cellulose).
    Ingredients: Whole Wheat Flour, Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin And Folic Acid), Water, Cellulose Fiber, Wheat Gluten, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Contains 2% Or Less of The Following: Xantham Gum, Guar Gum, Salt, Mono And Diglycerides, Baking Powder (Sodium Acid, Pyrophosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Baking Soda), Calcium Propionate, Sorbic Acid (Mold Inhibitor), Fumaric Acid, Carboxymethyl Cellulose, Sugar, Dough Conditioner (Sodium Metabisulfite, Corn Starch, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Dicalcium Phosphate), Enzymes. Contains: Wheat.

Damnit! I was so inspired to go get the Ole! brand because the main critique of the rice burrito-sized tortillas was that they crumble apart

Maybe look up what cellulose is before deciding if you want to consume it. Some people have more stringent guidelines on what they consider edible.

On a side note, welcome to MFP! Grab a tin foil hat. If you're ever in doubt, read everything in Kermit's voice, and drink booze (heavily). It helps :laugh:
  • susanpasq
    susanpasq Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has tortillas that are a blend of corn and wheat - the best of both worlds!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure this is Lionel Richie on a tortilla...

29E96FD100000578-3136953-image-m-69_1435112822340.jpg
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is Lionel Richie on a tortilla...

29E96FD100000578-3136953-image-m-69_1435112822340.jpg

He looks delicious. But then you already knew that.
  • TimothyIrvine
    TimothyIrvine Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    SO THE WINNER IS (as far as what is stocked by Trader Joe's)

The Wheat+Corn tortillas are kind of this weird hybrid blend that fail a little in every category....meh.

The Multigrain tortillas, alas, seem not to be stocked anymore. :'(

There are however LARGE "Whole Grain" tortillas and they are moderately healthy per my original macros. They are the runner up.

And there are also some large, disturbingly healthy (heyo cellulose) Sonoma brand "Carb cutting" tortillas that, although not the tastiest, are fold-able and roll-able.

They are the winner! If I pack them with delicious beans, cilantro, salsa, and plain non-fat Greek yogurt, they are tolerable nearing tasty.

~ ~ !! ~ ~ Winner of healthiest*, most roll-able tortillas, with acceptable flavor ~ ~ !! ~ ~

BRAND / NAME:
    Sonoma / Carb Cutting Tortillas

LINK:
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=F874C852-0639-11E1-8977-1231380C180E

MACROS:
    60 Cals
    1.5g fat
    11g carbs
    0g sugar
    7g fiber
    5g protein

~ ~ The RUNNER UP ~ ~
    (Which will be the cheat day food-wrapper-upper)
    BRAND / NAME:
    Trader Jose's / Whole Grain Wheat Tortillas

LINK:
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=6C822EB6-463B-11E0-A55F-1231380C180E

MACROS:
    120 Cals
    2.5g fat
    21g carbs
    1g sugar
    4g fiber
    3g protein
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Ok, let's be real - Mexican food is some of the MOST DELICIOUS of all time.

For large meals I'm a sucker for tacos OR burritos. I need to decide (my anxiety around food is exacerbated by variety and decisions) whether I stock my larder with smaller corn or larger (wheat) flour tortillas.

Which is the healthiest choice?

Im prioritizing LOW CALS and SUGAR, then low carbs, high protein and fiber, and the most important: lotsa surface area!

Using TJ's products as a control...

5 corn tortillas are:
    300 Calories,
    60g carbs,
    5g fiber,
    5g protein,
    2.5g fat

2 wheat flour tortillas are:
    280 Calories,
    40g carbs,
    6g fiber,
    6g protein,
    10g fat

2 rice flour tortillas are:
    260 Calories,
    48g carbs,
    4g fiber,
    4g protein
    5g fat

3 multigrain tortillas are:
    240 Calories,
    45g carbs,
    21g fiber,
    18g protein,
    9g fat,
    3G SUGAR

Unless those multigrain tortilla are tiny...they may be the clear winner here.

LET THE COMMENT WAR BEGIN!

As for the bolded part, sorry but not everybody thinks that. Just saying... and by the way, I prefer corn tortillas

Those people, quite simply, are objectively out of their minds.

Oh, and the correct answers are:

Flour for burritos and corn for tacos.