does my job count as exercise?

Options
i work at a nursing home as a dietary aide and i'm on my feet the entire time. we're understaffed, so my boss usually has me come in for all three meals -- meaning i'm on my feet for 10 hours four days a week. so i haven't exercised at all since i started dieting. i'm actually quite nervous to exercise because my feet are always swollen and aching and i don't want it to get worse. so far i've lost ten pounds, but with an additional 45 to lose i don't think this'll keep working for the rest of my weight loss journey.

i was just wondering if you all thought the physical activity i do at work is enough to count as exercise or if i should do additional exercise? maybe some pushups or situps before bed, things that don't keep me on my feet too much? thank you!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Your job should already be accounted for in your "activity" set up. So no it shouldn't be counted as exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Your job is part of you daily activity level. There are health benefits to having an active job, but it doesn't replace exercise. You may find that exercise will improve how you perform at work.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It is proven that you only lose at most 30% by exercising and 70% by dieting. Adding more exercise will not be as effective as good dieting. With more exercise you will be more hungry overall, so it can backfire.
  • breesu
    breesu Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thank you! i'll try to find an additional form of exercise that keeps me off my feet! :)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Swimming :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    breesu wrote: »
    thank you! i'll try to find an additional form of exercise that keeps me off my feet! :)

You don't have to do additional exercise to lose weight. What you are doing now is working, so keep with it. To lose weight, you can do it strictly by monitoring your food intake. You may find that working out actually gives you more energy. I know for me (also on my feet a lot with work), working out has improved my confidence and my stamina at work. So there are additional benefits other than weight loss to consider. There are many different exercise activities which are not as demanding on your feet which may improve work endurance. Personally, I like swimming, kickboxing, and weight lifting. Try a few different activities and see what works for you!
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    It is proven that you only lose at most 30% by exercising and 70% by dieting. Adding more exercise will not be as effective as good dieting. With more exercise you will be more hungry overall, so it can backfire.

It's proven? Really? Yet I am eating the same as when I was heavy and still losing due to exercise.

I would love to see the proof.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

It's proven? Really? Yet I am eating the same as when I was heavy and still losing due to exercise.

There is no proof. If you do some research most experts will say weight loss for most people is mainly due to reduction in food input. Of course physical activity plays a part but it is much easier/quicker to avoid 500 calories in a piece of cake then run for an hour to exercise it off. I've seen weight loss is 90/10, 80/20, 70/30 food intake vs activity. It will vary by person and not real accurate way to tell an exact %.

Point is both contribute to weight loss but diet generally contributes more.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »

You can lose weight both ways. Either create a 500 deficit by reducing 500 calories from daily food, or exercise and burn 500 calories.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Did you know that 87.8% of statistics are made up! Weight loss comes from being a caloric deficit. How you create that is up to the individual.