New to weight loss and weight lifting

Options
I'm new to this whole world. I started 30 days ago with a weight loss goal of 25 pounds. I have never lifted weights before due to a medical condition (amputated finger). After two weeks I had lost 5 pounds. I had been on diets before and I remembered that you lose a decent amount when you start. My next two weeks are where my question arises. I only lost 1 pound and was a little taken back. I ave heard about the 'plateau' and other hurdles but I'm thinking it may be the weight lifting? I have never done it before (32 years old) but I have been doing it 3 times a week. I read that weight lifting, doing cardio, and a healthy diet will make you burn fat quickest. I can feel my muscles developing and I was always told that muscle weighs more than fat. Is it possible that I am staying at a same weight because my muscles are developing??

Replies

• msrae999
    msrae999 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think that's very likely. Good way to see what progress you're making is take your measurements!
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading correctly, you've lost 6 lbs in 30 days. That's no plateau, it's a great loss.
    If anything, you may want to put your MFP setting to losing 1/2 lb to 1 lb per week (if you haven't already) so that you don't lose too fast and also lose muscle along with fat.
    You want to minimize any muscle loss when losing weight. Also, watch your protein intake.
    I've only started lifting 2 1/2 months ago, and have seen great results. I believe it is from my raising my protein intake.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You may be gaining a small bit of muscle, but most likely it would be water retention to repair your muscles
  • Motions28
    Motions28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If I'm reading correctly, you've lost 6 lbs in 30 days. That's no plateau, it's a great loss.
    If anything, you may want to put your MFP setting to losing 1/2 lb to 1 lb per week (if you haven't already) so that you don't lose too fast and also lose muscle along with fat.
    You want to minimize any muscle loss when losing weight. Also, watch your protein intake.
    I've only started lifting 2 1/2 months ago, and have seen great results. I believe it is from my raising my protein intake.

I haven't been drinking a protein shake like most people I know. I do eat a lot of protein everyday, to the point where this app says I hit my protein goal everyday where I log my food. Is this good enough or do I need to start with the shakes?

Thanks in advance
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started lifting about 5 weeks after I started eating at a deficit. I didn't drop an ounce for 10 days but my measurements went down during that time. I've been lifting for exactly 4 weeks today and LOVE IT. The scale is only one metric in your journey of health.. start taking pictures and measurements! You'll be amazed at the progress your scale is hiding :)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    If new to dieting then that first 5 lbs was probably water. No matter what diet you follow if you are at a deficit you will lose about that much in water weight. Then it slows down. Fat loss is slower.
    When you lift weights some water retention comes with the muscle repair. Muscle is more dense than fat. 5lbs of muscle is smaller than 5lbs of fat but still 5lbs. Doubtful that you built much muscle in a deficit (I assume you are eating at deficit). But keep at it and reap the rewards.
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The first time I started lifting I actually gained 5 lbs but looked slimmer and my clothes were looser. It's certainly possible you could be gaining muscle. Try to go by how you look and feel and not by the scale.
  • Motions28
    Options
    You all are correct in that you feel better when you exercise. I do my workouts early in the morning before work, and the rest of the day feels like a breeze. Thanks for all the great tips and advice. I am eating at a deficit. Between 1200 and 1300 cal a day. What are Macros that I keep seeing. Do you all have the premium upgrade app? Should I invest?
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Macros are your protein, carbs and fats - no need to upgrade to premium to see them.

Unless you're very short, you can probably should be eating more - 1500 is generally considered the safe minimum for a male.

And good job on the loss and getting started!
  • Motions28
    Options
    If I hit my protein goal daily from my diet choices, do I need to drink protein shakes on top of that? Or am I good?
  • pattyandthemoos
    pattyandthemoos Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after all my workouts. Protein shakes break down more quickly than a snack/meal. They make me feel better and I think they help with recovery. I don't think this is a must but I think you should have something with protein after you workout.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    OK

The protein target on MFP is quite low for someone who is lifting in a defecit, set yours to hit a minimum of 0.8g per lb bodyweight. Protein source and timing makes no difference to results

You will be experiencing water weight gains from a new exercise programme, this will mask fat loss. You won't gain enough muscle to offset fat loss

Consider weight loss in rolling 6-8 week cycles, take a weekly average and don't stress numbers on a week by week basis

6lbs in a month is a good loss

Muscle gain can happen for a noob in defecit, strength gains certainly will.

Get your food logging en pointe ...weigh everything, log accurately with double checks

Are you following a decent structured progressive programme?
  • Motions28
    Options
    What is the best protein supplement out there? I see so many of them. Are they all the same? Or which is the best for your money?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Walmart has good protein (whey) powder products that come in large containers for about $25. Look at the ingredients list to compare each of them. Also consider if you are adding it to milk, water, or almond milk etc because that will change your macros (except for water ).
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Motions28 wrote: »
    You all are correct in that you feel better when you exercise. I do my workouts early in the morning before work, and the rest of the day feels like a breeze. Thanks for all the great tips and advice. I am eating at a deficit. Between 1200 and 1300 cal a day. What are Macros that I keep seeing. Do you all have the premium upgrade app? Should I invest?

Is your deficit 1200-1300 calories a day or are you only eating 1200-1300 calories a day? If it's your deficit, than it may be too high (aggressive) if you only need to lose 25 lbs. If you're truly eating 1200-1300 calories a day, then you should consider increasing it.

• Motions28
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »

Is your deficit 1200-1300 calories a day or are you only eating 1200-1300 calories a day? If it's your deficit, than it may be too high (aggressive) if you only need to lose 25 lbs. If you're truly eating 1200-1300 calories a day, then you should consider increasing it.

I am eating 1200 to 1300 calories a day. My goal is 25 pounds to reach 195, but then I want to lose another 20 to get in the correct range for my age, and height. I also burn about 300-500 calories a day in the gym (6 days a week). I don't factor this number into my diet, I just stay between 1200 and 1300 no mater what my exercise numbers are
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »

I am eating 1200 to 1300 calories a day. My goal is 25 pounds to reach 195, but then I want to lose another 20 to get in the correct range for my age, and height. I also burn about 300-500 calories a day in the gym (6 days a week). I don't factor this number into my diet, I just stay between 1200 and 1300 no mater what my exercise numbers are

Assuming you between 5' 10" - 6' then you are definitely under-eating; not a good plan at all.
  • Motions28
    Options

[/quote]

Assuming you between 5' 10" - 6' then you are definitely under-eating; not a good plan at all.[/quote]

How much should I be eating a day? Calorie wise. I'm 5'10"
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Assuming you between 5' 10" - 6' then you are definitely under-eating; not a good plan at all.[/quote]

How much should I be eating a day? Calorie wise. I'm 5'10"[/quote]

Eat what MFP tells you to plus start with 25-50% of your exercise calories. I'm 5'6" 158 lbs and I eat around 2000 calories and I lose weight.

• Motions28
    Options

Assuming you between 5' 10" - 6' then you are definitely under-eating; not a good plan at all.

How much should I be eating a day? Calorie wise. I'm 5'10"[/quote]

Eat what MFP tells you to plus start with 25-50% of your exercise calories. I'm 5'6" 158 lbs and I eat around 2000 calories and I lose weight.

[/quote]

MFP says 1500 calories. I entered in a 1.5-2 pound weight loss goal per week. I burn between 200-400 calories a day at the gym. So you're saying I should eat around 1650 calories a day?