Ketogenic diet

Options
Can anyone hip me on the pros and cons of the ketogenic diet?

Replies

• Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    All pros from my experience. Just do it with real, minimally processed food. You have a lot to research and learn.

www.dietdoctor.com
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me:

Pros
    • Better health (lower blood glucose so insulin resistance is under control, less inflammation, good lipids, better hair and skin, steadier energy, no more reactive hypoglycemia).
    • Good food
    • Reduced appetie and carb cravings which helped with weight loss
    • A very slight thermogenic benefit for weight loss
    • Mental clarity

Cons
    • Food restrictions, mainly around baked goods and treats, but I make my own that are LCHF so I can indulge if I wish.

Try the Low Carber Daily for more info. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • tifflong109
    tifflong109 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    For me:

Pros
    • Better health (lower blood glucose so insulin resistance is under control, less inflammation, good lipids, better hair and skin, steadier energy, no more reactive hypoglycemia).
    • Good food
    • Mental clarity

Cons
    • Food restrictions, mainly around baked goods and treats, but I make my own that are LCHF so I can indulge if I wish.

Try the Low Carber Daily for more info. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Great thanks for the info and link
  • RightWeigh
    RightWeigh Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    That's the diet I use. I find it hard to actually eat all 2000 calories on non workout days. The protein keeps you satisfied along with the high fat. It's tough at first to get rid of some of my favorite carbs like milk. But I have found other ways around it. Like unsweetened chocolate almond milk, add some sweeten low in it. Tastes just like regular chocolate milk. Also check out ketokrate. Great low carb snacks shipped to your door once a month. Funny because it comes the same day my dog gets his bark box. Lol. Link below is what I used to get started.

http://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/
  • piper_granny
    piper_granny Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had been following a low carb diet since the beginning of April, following my endocrinologist's guidelines, and had SLOWLY been losing some weight. However, I started reading about the ketogenic diet and decided to give it a try. I used several different websites to read, learn, and understand how it works, and I've started collecting recipes to help (gotta love Pinterest!). The weight isn't exactly "falling" off me, but I am losing a bit more each week (it's been 3 weeks so far) than I did in the weeks before. I find it incredibly easy to follow, and used a nutrient calculator I found on "Ruled Me" to plug in my weight, height, and BMI (best guess - they have a guideline for that, too) to get the percent of protein, fat, and carbs, in grams, I'm allowed every day. ruled.me/keto-calculator/ Plugged that all into My Fitness Pal, and I'm all set. I rarely go over my calories, and especially don't go over carbs. If i do end up going over on carbs, I just make sure I also go over on protein and especially FAT. If you haven't tried making "fat bombs" yet, I'd highly suggest it - I have one at least once a day to be sure I'm meeting my fat requirements. I also bought KetoStix on Amazon (SmackFat) for around $9, and I check a couple times a day, just because I can't believe how easy this has been. I have more energy, feel SO much better (I'm considered morbidly obese, but not for long!!), and am really not missing my carbs at all. If you're new to this, be sure you start collecting recipes!! Cream cheese, eggs, & butter will be your new best friends. good luck!!
  • semicolonxp
    semicolonxp Posts: 6 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The only personal cons for me is that I have trouble going number 2 since you're not eating enough fiber but I've fixed that with magnesium supplements. I've been on the keto diet for a week and have lost 8 lbs. I no longer crave carbs and I am hungry less.

Also another con is when you're socializing you can't drink alcohol...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    For me, it was not sustainable. I missed eating pasta and bread so very much!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It depends on your personality and what your goals are. I think its too restrictive and any type of low carb kills my training and strength. But if you can sustain it, its a plausable diet.

In the end, fatloss will be the same with pretty much any diet you choose.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    For me:

Pros
    • Good food
    • Mental clarity

Cons

I actually disagree with this considering fat has the lowest thermic effect compared to carbs and protein especially
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For me:

Pros
    • Good food
    • Mental clarity

Cons

I actually disagree with this considering fat has the lowest thermic effect compared to carbs and protein especially

There was a recent study that found that over 30days on a very low carb, there was a very slight 100kcal thermogenic effect. It appeared to decline at 30days but it may have continued... or it may not have.

http://proteinpower.com/drmike/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2016/01/KD-Hall-abstract.png

The researcher discusses his results here.... Well he sort of contradicts his results. LOL He's an odd one. https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2016/05/06/contradictions-and-cognitive-dissonance-the-kevin-hall-effect/

I lost weight on a ketogenic diet faster than I expected to based on my CICO calculations. Perhaps the thermogenic effect was part of it. It isn't large. Perhaps 12 lbs per year at most. Protein hasnearly double the effect. Carbs? Not so much.
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've been doing the ketogenic diet consistently for nearly 3 weeks now. I have consistently lost (upwards of a pound a day). I don't have cravings and I don't feel like I'm dieting at all. It can be difficult eating low carb at family functions and resisting cake at parties but those are struggles that I think you encounter with any lifestyle change. If I do have a slice of cake or a roll, I just move on the next day. I usually maintain the same weight. Plus you get to eat BACON!!! I eat bacon, eggs and cheese pretty much everyday (I'm a lazy dieter). I even made mini cheesecakes.

Cons: Keto flu symptoms and the judgement that you get from others when you tell them that you're on the ketogenic lifestyle. I have had a lot of itching over the past few weeks (scalp, chest, face, arms, hands). I think that it's due to me not drinking enough water. Also, I get awful headaches after I work out. This is due to the loss of sodium when you sweat. Drinking saltwater is supposed to help. And like others I'm not as regular as I once was. I need to get the magnesium. I don't find it to be very expensive but Sam's Club and Trader Joe's helps. I do miss fruit but I think that it's a mind thing more than anything.

It really doesn't feel like a diet at all. I feel like I'm cheating every day. It goes against all of the normal weight loss rules, which tell you to eat lean meat and avoid pork and salt. But the proof is in the scale. I would encourage anyone to try it for at least a month. If you don't like it then just try something else.

Edit: The other day, I had a piece of birthday cake and woke up the next day with the worse headache ever. I was so mad because the cake didn't even taste that great to me (everyone else loved it). So I guess that is also an effect of being in ketosis. I'm afraid of what would happen if I drank alcohol.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Keto works:
    "Research is mounting that saturated fat is better for you than processed carbohydrates like sugar and white bread"
    http://time.com/4386248/fat-butter-nutrition-health/
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Keto does not work if you don't like that way of eating. That's probably the most important non-answer to your question. ;)

Keto (or LCHF) works as well as any other approach (and better for those who are insulin resistant) as long as you like it (it is sustainable).

Either way, you have to expend more calories than you consume.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself..if you want a diet..or if you want a lifestyle change.

Diets, tend to not work in the long run. People lose weight. Quit Diet. Regain Weight.

Research your body, and how to lose and maintain weight loss. Research foods.

This is the problem I have with Keto..it seems to be the latest "Fad" diet. (and by fad..that does not mean it doesn't work...simply, why are you thinking of trying it? Because you see so many people post Keto? Greatest diet ever? Never felt better?)

Do your own research..on weight loss. BMI, BMR, TDEE, CICO, etc etc.

Are you going to exercise as well? How much? What are your goals?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For me:

Pros
    • Good food
    • Mental clarity

Cons

There was a recent study that found that over 30days on a very low carb, there was a very slight 100kcal thermogenic effect. It appeared to decline at 30days but it may have continued... or it may not have.

http://proteinpower.com/drmike/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2016/01/KD-Hall-abstract.png

The researcher discusses his results here.... Well he sort of contradicts his results. LOL He's an odd one. https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2016/05/06/contradictions-and-cognitive-dissonance-the-kevin-hall-effect/

I lost weight on a ketogenic diet faster than I expected to based on my CICO calculations. Perhaps the thermogenic effect was part of it. It isn't large. Perhaps 12 lbs per year at most. Protein hasnearly double the effect. Carbs? Not so much.

IRT to the KH study, if you watch the interview, the increase in EE only lasted 5 days, but during that time, fat loss did not occur. I suspect the increase in EE was due to switching energy systems. Keep in mind going from a moderate to high carb diet down to a keto diet will have large decreases in water weight/glycogen.

Also, with IR, there are some studies that would suggest a decrease in RMR with high carb diets. So I am not surprised you lost much quicker going to keto. If someone has similar variables that you have, this is a great diet. Outside of that though, fat loss will not be any greater.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Pros: For some people it is an easy way to cut calories and helps with appetite. If you tend to overeat foods with carbs (even if they get as many or more calories from fat) it can be a fun (for some) way of motivating yourself not to eat them, especially if you get into some kind of carb group (there's one here) or buy into the Kool-Aid that not eating carbs is somehow superior. That seems to help some eat better, annoying as it can be.

Cons: I like many carbs, including foods like oats, potatoes, sweet potatoes, legumes, fruits, vegetables (many are so low cal it doesn't matter, but I enjoy more starchy root veg like carrots and turnips and parsnips and beets and winter squash, etc.), and consider all of these foods really good for me, would hate to have to worry about eating them. I already eat a pretty balanced and healthful diet with lots of vegetables and enough protein, so feel no need to change things up dramatically. I find carbs are helpful in athletic training, for me. I quite enjoy a dish built around pasta or an occasional sandwich and I have zero difficulty eating starchy carbs in moderation (never understand when people claim a typical serving of pasta--56 g or whatever--is too small), so it seems weird to cut out foods I would never overeat. Sweets in moderation can be part of a healthful, balanced diet, and I'd rather eat them in moderation than not at all (and don't have some kind of overwhelming sweet tooth anyway). Oh, and for me fat is far less filling than carbs and I simply don't find the notion of eating a huge percentage of my diet in fat pleasant (and don't believe that sat fat is not a concern or that enormous amounts of meat is a great idea, as many keto types claim).

Basically, it depends on you. I like having more variety rather than less.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I live on a KETO diet been under 150 grams of Carbs for two years. I can do back flips, lost 100 plus lbs, cut up at around 12-14% body fat, feel Fantastic and I workout 365 day a year even if its just 30 min on the bike I'm doing something EVERYDAY!! Life style is key figure out what works for you and stick to it!! Don't try!! DO IT!!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @lemurcat12

I eat LCHF, and I enjoy the support of the LCD group, but I don't think of it as a superior way of eating exept in the sense that it is better for my personal health. I try to adhere to it because it helps with the (unfortunate) insulin resistance that I have (verified by my endocrinologist). I like carbs, though I don't miss the heartburn I used to get from pasta. My motivation for keeping total carbs under 60g, which is low enough for me, is health-driven, and not because I consider it superior. Fortunately, I like this way of eating most of the time, which makes it sustainable. I certainly don't intend to be annoying to anyone because of my way of eating.

One of the things I do not like about LCHF is that, like you, I also love root vegetables, as I mentioned in an earlier post. I fully admit that is the hard part, to measure and limit root vegetables and sugar snaps.

Also, I agree that enormous amounts of meat aren't necessary; "adequate protein" is the usual recommendation for LCHF diets. I know there are people that eat saturated fats without concern on LCHF, but there are many of us who focus on olive oil, salmon, avocado, and nuts for fat.

As many posts as you have made, I would venture to guess that you already know that there are people like me, probably quite a few, who eat LCHF foods that are nutritious and not necessarily high in the controversial saturated fats. Do you think the majority do otherwise? (I don't know the answer to that question.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12

I eat LCHF, and I enjoy the support of the LCD group, but I don't think of it as a superior way of eating exept in the sense that it is better for my personal health. I try to adhere to it because it helps with the (unfortunate) insulin resistance that I have (verified by my endocrinologist). I like carbs, though I don't miss the heartburn I used to get from pasta. My motivation for keeping carbs under 60g, which is low enough for me, is health-driven, not because I consider it superior. Fortunately, I like this way of eating most of the time, which makes it sustainable. I don't mean to be annoying to anyone...

One of the things I do not like about LCHF is that I also love root vegetables, as I mentioned in an earlier post. That may be the hardest part, to measure and limit root vegetables and sugar snaps.

I don't think you are annoying. Basically, I don't think anyone doing HFLC or any other diet is annoying, so long as they don't preach about how it's superior and everyone should be doing it. Most low carb/keto people I think just do it because it works for them and they like it (the first reason I gave about appetite, for example). But I have run into the other group and am trying to be charitable by thinking that it helps them stay committed to what is a way of getting a deficit or changing their diets dramatically.