working out without a gym

Options
I do not have a gym membership. workout i need workout ideas that target the entire body at one time and are good for fat loss. Thank you!

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Running. You'll hate it at first until it breaks you and then it not only is an amazing calorie burn due to the steady-state cardio, but it's more calorie-burn-for-your-buck and a huge stress-relief after you get through starting out. All you need is a pair of running shoes, music, something to measure distance (like a phone) and workout clothes. And water.

For strength training there is the magic of calisthenics-lots of online sources for that. You can get a doorway pull-up bar for $10-$20 also.

• troutlilly
    troutlilly Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was able to find cheap free weights from a warehouse listed online. I know, sounds nuts to go on craigslist. They were a really cheap deal-- cheaper than Target, Walmart, and Amazon. It's good to start out with 5 and 10's. Have you considered investing in adjustable weights, or a barbell set? I use my husband's barbells and don't have a gym membership. Once you buy your own weights and learn to use them properly, it pays itself within months.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    That's why I like 30 day shred, ripped in 30, Denise Austin body boot camp, the firm super cardio mix, and many others. There are so many free videos on YouTube that are cardio and hand weights, you can get some great workouts.
  • Eff76
    Eff76 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Szodyraa check out darebee.com
    I just found it a week ago and so far so good. Lots of workouts using body weight or dumbbells. I tried bodybuilding.com but their workouts seem to use more machines.
    Good luck on your journey!
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,845 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to the Y when I was working. It was easy to go after work. When I retired, the Y is a much longer drive for me now. I did a google search for walking trails near me and found several. Now, I alternate days of using the treadmill I have at home or going to the trails. Works out good for me and so much less expensive. I also love the Leslie Sansome walking videos. You can get the dvd's or she has them on Youtube also.
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I used to workout to YouTube videos before I joined the gym or just went for long walks
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to 4 gyms so far and have gotten in the best shape of my 47 yrs at home, lifting weights. I was at a gym when I discovered Stronglifts 5x5 and knew I'd found my thing. I bought a used power cage, bench, bar & weights off Craigslist for $300 & quit my gym. I'm committed and consistent. Fat loss come from a calorie deficit, strength training makes your bod hawt ;)
  • MikeDubya74
    MikeDubya74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Someone recently suggested taking a deck of cards and writing an exercise on every card. Then flip the cards and do the exercise. Draw the 10 of hearts, do 10 minutes of jump rope. Draw the 5 of spades, do 5 burpies. Draw an ace and do 11 minutes of running in place. Etc... good luck! Let us know how you're doing!
  • szodyraa
    szodyraa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the ideas! :D I just needed a few suggestions so that I wouldn't get bored with my workouts. I stept of the scale this morning....down 8lbs!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I like using the free (Freestyle) routines on the Fitstar app for cardio. No equipment necessary.
  • lex87gamcok
    lex87gamcok Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eff76 wrote: »
    Szodyraa check out darebee.com
    I just found it a week ago and so far so good. Lots of workouts using body weight or dumbbells. I tried bodybuilding.com but their workouts seem to use more machines.
    Good luck on your journey!

Try app called Fit Tap Life. It is the Darebee workouts. Awesome. And free. It picks random exercises and they are great. I am just starting and like it a lot. Did I say free?
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I really love Fitness Blender. They have some free stuff and some workout programs that you can buy if you want. But they have videos for just about everything! You can customize to your fitness level, what kind of workout you want (cardio, HIIT, strength, etc) and you can customize to what parts of the body you want to work out. They have (from what I've seen) everything from super short 10 minute workouts to over an hour. It's a really great website!
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of Shaun T, Tony Horton, Brett Hoebel etc and fitness blender is good. U don't need weight for a lot of these workouts. There are so many things on YouTube. I love to workout at home so I set my own time that I choose and don't have to wait on any machines.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 80 pounds and have maintained for over 3 years without a gym membership.

I workout a lot outdoors whenever I can (fast walking for miles and miles, bodyweight workouts, rollerblading etc.)

Also I love Youtube videos (Jessica Smith and Fitness Blender are my favs), fitness dvd's like Leslie Sansone and fitness programs like Body Beast or those from Cathe Friedrich or Jillian Michaels etc. I'm currently doing ChaLean Extreme.

I love working out at home! I have a small home gym that is filled with varies amounts of weights, resistance bands, mini-stepper, a Pilates Reformer, kettlebells, a weighted hula-hoop etc. It took me a while to build it up and I still add to it, but it's so worth it! There's no commute, I'm the only one that uses my things and there is no excuses not to workout (weather, driving to the gym etc).

For fat loss you need to make sure your diet is in check, plus getting enough protein and sleep helps.

Good luck!