124»

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Based on
    mis1022 wrote: »
    If you are concerned about the treatment of animals choose free range chicken.

Yes, they are really nice to the chickens before they cut their heads off.

We are on the top of the food chain. It's entirely possible that chickens would be extinct but for their usefulness as human food. I get worrying about whales and even pigs but chickens are idiots. They're basically walking vegetables with protein.

I disagree, but that's not the point. Eating free range chickens is a weak alternative to ethical vegetarianism.

Based on what made up ethical system? One that puts the lives of chickens ahead of human health? No thank you. Enjoy a diet that require supplementation and is sub-optimal. I'll enjoy what evolution gave me thank you very much.

I didn't make up ethical vegetarianism. It's been around for millennia.

You did, however, make up the need to eat chickens, or other animal products, for human health. That is a myth that has long been debunked.

A vegetarian also requires no supplementation.

Eat 9 cows and 50 chickens a week if you want, it's none of my concern, but you shouldn't be posting misinformation. Do you work for the poultry council? Why do you even care?

And, again, none of this has anything to do with my original response. All I was saying is that if you don't want to eat animals for ethical reasons, being nice to them before you eat them is not an ethical substitute. If you don't believe in that in the first place, then it might be better to just not comment on this particular aspect of the discussion.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    What about chapulines? They're so good for protein.
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a year for the same reasons (hate the way the animals are treated, it's so unethical and inhuman) and it was terrible for my body. I developed tendinitis in both my arms and my nails were super brittle because I had a protein deficiency. Now I only eat chicken and fish, and it's working well for me! I get the protein I need and I don't have to feel bad about eating other types of animals. I would recommend you cut out red meat first, then pork. And you can still eat eggs/chicken and fish.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Based on

We are on the top of the food chain. It's entirely possible that chickens would be extinct but for their usefulness as human food. I get worrying about whales and even pigs but chickens are idiots. They're basically walking vegetables with protein.

I disagree, but that's not the point. Eating free range chickens is a weak alternative to ethical vegetarianism.

Based on what made up ethical system? One that puts the lives of chickens ahead of human health? No thank you. Enjoy a diet that require supplementation and is sub-optimal. I'll enjoy what evolution gave me thank you very much.

You did, however, make up the need to eat chickens, or other animal products, for human health. That is a myth that has long been debunked.

Eat 9 cows and 50 chickens a week if you want, it's none of my concern, but you shouldn't be posting misinformation. Do you work for the poultry council? Why do you even care?

And, again, none of this has anything to do with my original response. All I was saying is that if you don't want to eat animals for ethical reasons, being nice to them before you eat them is not an ethical substitute. If you don't believe in that in the first place, then it might be better to just not comment on this particular aspect of the discussion.

Are you Janist then and avoid driving a car or killing any life? Just curious where you draw the line given your expertise in ethics?

Given your complete lack of knowledge regarding nutrition and human evolution let's focus on ethics.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Based on

Are you Janist then and avoid driving a car or killing any life? Just curious where you draw the line given your expertise in ethics?

Why does it matter what anyone's moral beliefs are for eating the way they do? You're not gonna change theirs and they aren't gonna change yours.

• DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian over 8 years ago and three years ago was the heaviest I'd ever been. Being vegetarian has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Based on

Why does it matter what anyone's moral beliefs are for eating the way they do? You're not gonna change theirs and they aren't gonna change yours.

He stated he had a superior moral position and I think it's only reasonable to ask him to defend such a statement.