Shakes- good, bad or ugly ?

Options
zayyy237
zayyy237 Posts: 10 Member
In short... What do they do?! Are they beneficial?

Replies

• zayyy237
    Options
    As in protein shakes
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you need to boost your protein for relatively low calories using a good whey shake can help. It won't make you lose weight or change your metabolism or anything like that.
  • Rikasha1
    Rikasha1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have one almost every morning for breakfast, I think it keeps me fuller plus I can sneak some veggies in there!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    With my brand of whey protein powder, I had to buy a mini mixer for $14. I make it with milk instead of water for even more protein and better taste. Helps keep me full. I often drink walmarts Pure Protein Chocolate.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Drinking calories isn't usually for me. I like to eat. I'm not into the "More Protein" fad nor do I take large amounts of supplements of any kind, so cannot even comment on that. I'd say Bad or Ugly. A healthy, balanced diet - that's for me. A lot of people have smoothies and like them and it wouldn't be Bad for them to drink calories, I just wouldn't.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like real food most of the time, but a vanilla flavored protein powder shake made with some frozen berries and yogurt is a nice treat on a summer evening when you just made ice cream sundaes for the kids.
  • gainerpal
    gainerpal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Delicious and easy to metabolize. :D
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    It's good as long as you eat food more than drinking protein shakes. I know a few who would drink protein shakes up to 5 times per day =-O

As someone who feels kinda guilty when they have to get 2 protein supplements in a day, that sounds like madness.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I like it simple in the morning I have a protein shake every morning and the brand of The shake is Orgain. 24 g of protein per shake organic and plant-based created by a physician who had cancer who after researching all of the protein powder's and finding that none of the protein powder's were considered healthy, he and his registered dietitian wife created their own company. I purchase it on Amazon, eBay or I go directly to their website. My favorite flavor is vanilla bean. Look up Orgain protein shakes. Healthy, organic and delicious !
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Never used them, would rather get my protein from food
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've never felt the need.

I've tried 2 protein bars, (one was a Quest brownie bar, to see what all the fuss was about), and had to spit them out. Foul-tasting.

I much prefer Greek yoghurt, sliced ham, or bacon, for some extra protein.
  • zayyy237
    Options
    Haha thanks guys!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Shakes are pretty good when I need extra calories and don't feel like eating. I can cram so many calories in there without it making me overfull.
  • Avi_Fitness
    Avi_Fitness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good particularly after a workout. I usually make mines with 1/2 a banana and a couple of ice cubes and a dash of cinnamon.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder everyday to help get enough protein and i can make lots of yummy desserts with it. I use optimum nutrition choc/peanut butter casein.
  • Christin1207
    Christin1207 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use it often to help get my protein. I don't digest red meats or dairy well. So I use a plant based shake with coconut milk. I sometimes add frozen veggies and fruit or just a banana and some honey. I like either arbonne or vega
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have used them as part of my breakfast off and on for a long time. I prefer plant based protein powders, my current fave is a Designer Protein essential 10 Belgian Chocolate. Since I started limiting my carbs I like to have one before I work out because it has some carbs balanced with plenty of fiber as well as great protein.