The Big Dairy Debate

Options
forlaura
forlaura Posts: 27 Member
Hey, guys, hope all are well... I'm a newbie around here and could use some feedback!
With all the research, (and some conflicting at that), I am looking for a realistic and evidence based approach to incorporating dairy, especially yogurt, into my day. Are you a member of the full fat, the nonfat or the low-reduced fat dairy camp, and what are your reasons for adopting this belief that one favors the other? Not a fan of nonfat myself...
I favor a low to moderate carb, no sugar diet as blood sugar control for preventative reasons is a priority. Have a great day, and I appreciate any information offered!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's just personal preference.

I LIKE low fat best, and don't find it any more or less filling by amount as compared to whole (talking about plain greek yogurt and cottage cheese, as I don't drink milk). Therefore, it makes sense for me to take advantage of the lower calories and higher protein per calorie benefits and eat that. I usually end up using my saved dairy fat calories in some other way, like for artisan or imported cheeses.

Some people find that whole is tastier for them so worth the extra calories or fills them up more.

I don't believe that either is better from a nutritional standpoint, it just depends on you and how it fits into your day.

I assume by "no sugar" you mean no added sugar, as all yogurts have sugar (lactose). The amount in full fat isn't much different than the amount in low fat by volume.
  • forlaura
    Options
    @lemurcat12 Hey, and thank you for your reply...
    Yes, very good point... I usually incorporate the low fat yogurt and full fat cheese into my macros... I drink plant based milk, myself. Thanks again!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Full-fat only both for dairy and other products. I find that full-fat dairy is more filling and satisfying than than low-fat or non-fat dairy. Also, a lot of the low-fat and non-fat dairy tastes off or has a different texture. I don't consume much dairy, but when I do it's always full-fat.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat non-fat greek but dress it up with stevia, and varying combinations of nut butter, PB2, dark cocoa powder, and Grapenuts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    forlaura wrote: »
    Hey, guys, hope all are well... I'm a newbie around here and could use some feedback!
    With all the research, (and some conflicting at that), I am looking for a realistic and evidence based approach to incorporating dairy, especially yogurt, into my day. Are you a member of the full fat, the nonfat or the low-reduced fat dairy camp, and what are your reasons for adopting this belief that one favors the other? Not a fan of nonfat myself...
    I favor a low to moderate carb, no sugar diet as blood sugar control for preventative reasons is a priority. Have a great day, and I appreciate any information offered!

It's not a "belief" that one is better than the other...it is a preference. I like non-fat greek yogurt, 1 or 2% milk, and full fat cheese...so it just depends on what it is and what my preference is.
  • forlaura
    Options
    Thanks, all, for your feedback... ✨✨✨✨
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I eat nonfat, low fat and full fat dairy. I go for non or low fat whenever it doesn't alter the taste to the point I don't like it. I don't believe that dairy fat is a healthy fat so I try to eat too much of it. I prefer to get my fat from other sources.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I eat full fat greek yogurt but 1% milk.....why....personal preference...I find the ff greek fills me up for longer and the milk tastes better in my tea
  • forlaura
    Options
    How I got this in my head is that there is quite a lot of research on the benefits of full fat dairy, the argument being that it is in the dairy fat where the most nutritious and beneficial properties lie-starting with the most in full fat and decreasing the lower the fat...
    Yes, it is a preference, and one which has many options to choose from, as they all provide something in the way of nutrition other than fat.
    Thanks again for the feedback, guys!
  • gainerpal
    gainerpal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yogurt is great way to introduce dairy since it has many more benefits than most other dairy because of its active cultures. Yogurt with probiotics is so good for the digestive tract too and can be good when used around intimate areas too. Makes me want a smoothie
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    What fits your macros? Eat that. I tend to go with 1% but also drink 2%. On yogurt I vary it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What fits your macros? Eat that. I tend to go with 1% but also drink 2%. On yogurt I vary it.

This.

I don't really drink milk. I used to buy 1% because that was what I was used to. I now have whole milk in the house for the baby. I won't really drink it but I'll use it on cereal. If I was drinking it, I'd opt for the lower versions because that is what I am used to and to save calories.
    As for yogurt, I have found that the full fat variety make a big difference when I am eating it as breakfast for keeping me full. And it tastes sooooo good.

I would opt for the lower fat version if it tasted good and I need to save a few calories. In general, I can manage the full fat version.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    All yogurt just makes me bloated. So I just stay away.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy for me. It tastes better and is more satisfying to me.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I prefer full or half fat. Just because I think it tastes better and I'd rather eat a little less. That said that is my taste and my taste only. I totally think this is a personal taste issue.
  • forlaura
    Options
    Thank you for all the great feedback! I actually just bought the 2% Greek Yogurt, not a great difference in carbs and sugar and a bit less fat and calories, which is what I am trying to keep in check as well as the carbs and sugar. I see the point in just fitting it in, it's all doable, just have to get creative -I stick to 15-30 grams of carbs per meal...
    The Fage 2% actually tastes good, but I will reserve the full fat yogurt for days when I can tweak things around, so thanks a bunch guys, your awesome!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It all depends what you like the taste of best.

I like full fat milk and yogurt, but prefer the taste and texture of low fat cottage cheese.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I get the extra fat dairy, hard to find but worth the effort.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What is to debate? Very little dairy for me. I don't care what kind of dairy you eat, but the lower the fat, the lower the calories, fwiw.