Legit..is diet soda actally "bad" for you?

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    rebeccavh wrote: »
    AspenDan wrote: »
    First off, "just drink water instead" is not helpful here, lol. I've been drinking about 40-70oz of diet mountain dew a day, lately. I don't even log it because it's mostly calorie free, and I enjoy it so I'm probably not going to stop drinking it entirely.

Do you think its alright to drink this much? Gogle yields very mixed results..just curious what the average opinion is.

Its not great for you. But it's your life. As a dental hygienist I can only tell you what awful damage you are doing to your teeth. It takes your mouth 20 minutes to buffer the pH back to neutral. so every time you take a sip it's bringing the pH down. And the amount you are having a day is quite a bit. If you were my patient I would strongly encourage you to stop also ask you dentist about MI paste. It can help remineralize some of the damage that might have been caused.

I was under the impression that sugar caused this? I read a great article lately, it may have been posted in that aspartame thread. That aspartame does not have the same effect on your teeth, and that it basically a myth that sweeteners other than sugar cause damage.

I'll try and find the link, then edit if I find it.

Anyone else?

It's not the artificial sugar with diet soda but the overall pH. Sugar is bad for your teeth bc the bacteria in our mouth consume that sugar and the byproduct is acid. Acid is what creates holes in your teeth.

That being said. You can cause the problem with sugar. Or acid. Constant exposure to Gatorade, pop, etc. anything with an acidic pH on the regular is going to be bad for your teeth.

So that's pretty much fruits and vegetables too, isn't it?
  • jdiehl8282
    jdiehl8282 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One link that says it's not that bad can't counter the hundreds that say it's one of the most dangerous things you can ingest
  • rebeccavh
    rebeccavh Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    First off, "just drink water instead" is not helpful here, lol. I've been drinking about 40-70oz of diet mountain dew a day, lately. I don't even log it because it's mostly calorie free, and I enjoy it so I'm probably not going to stop drinking it entirely.

Do you think its alright to drink this much? Gogle yields very mixed results..just curious what the average opinion is.

Its not great for you. But it's your life. As a dental hygienist I can only tell you what awful damage you are doing to your teeth. It takes your mouth 20 minutes to buffer the pH back to neutral. so every time you take a sip it's bringing the pH down. And the amount you are having a day is quite a bit. If you were my patient I would strongly encourage you to stop also ask you dentist about MI paste. It can help remineralize some of the damage that might have been caused.

I was under the impression that sugar caused this? I read a great article lately, it may have been posted in that aspartame thread. That aspartame does not have the same effect on your teeth, and that it basically a myth that sweeteners other than sugar cause damage.

Anyone else?

It's not the artificial sugar with diet soda but the overall pH. Sugar is bad for your teeth bc the bacteria in our mouth consume that sugar and the byproduct is acid. Acid is what creates holes in your teeth.

That being said. You can cause the problem with sugar. Or acid. Constant exposure to Gatorade, pop, etc. anything with an acidic pH on the regular is going to be bad for your teeth.

If you were snacking on them constantly and keeping your mouth in an acidic state then yes it could cause issues. Most people just eat a piece of fruit though and not take a bite. Wait 5 or so min take another bite. Most people sip on their soda
  • Alluminati
    Options

Anyone else?

If you were snacking on them constantly and keeping your mouth in an acidic state then yes it could cause issues. Most people just eat a piece of fruit though and not take a bite. Wait 5 or so min take another bite. Most people sip on their soda

Gotcha. I hear a straw helps with the sipping.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Anyone else?

What? 5 minutes between bites but guzzle soda? Lol
  • rebeccavh
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Anyone else?

Did you misunderstand me? I said most people don't eat like that. Which is why fruit doesn't typically cause issues.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options

Anyone else?

I've always been told it's the acids in soda that causes this, more than the sugar content itself. All sodas have carbonic acid [it helps with the carbonation of the soda] while citrus-flavored sodas have citric acid and dark-colored sodas [except for root beer] have phosphoric acid.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    jdiehl8282 wrote: »
    I prefer to drink kombucha tea, it's delicious and low on calories and sugar and has probiotic benefits

How is this different?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    One link that says it's not that bad can't counter the hundreds that say it's one of the most dangerous things you can ingest

I guess you aren't into reading legitimate peer review scientific studies and research since they say it is safe.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Anyone else?

Yeah but then you trade teeth problems for those tiny wrinkles around your mouth that you get when using a straw.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Anyone else?

Couldn't find that article, I have a feeling it may have actually been print media.

Gotcha, so with good oral hygiene it is basically a non-issue. I certainly won't stop drinking diet drinks on this basis, like others have mentioned multiple foods cause this effect not just diet soda.
  • Alluminati
    Options

Anyone else?

Yeah but then you trade teeth problems for those tiny wrinkles around your mouth that you get when using a straw.

You can remedy that by sucking on larger things to stretch your lips out.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Anyone else?

You can remedy that by sucking on larger things to stretch your lips out.

:no_mouth::noway:

• queenliz99
    Options

Anyone else?

Did you misunderstand me? I said most people don't eat like that. Which is why fruit doesn't typically cause issues.

You said, "Most people just eat a piece of fruit though and not take a bite. Wait 5 or so min take another bite." I did not misunderstand you. Maybe you wrote it wrong.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I struggle with giving up Diet coke but this is what I know about my drug of choice (that's what i call it)

In a 2 liter bottle there are 6 servings. Each serving containing 46mg of caffeine and 40mg of sodium. drink the entire bottle in a day, which is easy, you have consumed 480 mg of sodium and the added caffeine (in Diet Coke) along with the aspartame increases hunger and drives cravings for things one watching their nutritional intake should not be craving, ergo the overeating addiction increases for soda drinkers.

If that is not enough, the damage it does on your teeth should matter as well. If you are not going to reduce or stop your soda intake, balance it with water.

That is my 2 cents worth at least.

I've been drinking diet soda for about 25 years? When are those cravings going to start? Because so far I haven't had them... Also, what are things one who is watching their nutritional intake shouldn't be craving?
  • rebeccavh
    Options

Anyone else?

You said, "Most people just eat a piece of fruit though and not take a bite. Wait 5 or so min take another bite." I did not misunderstand you. Maybe you wrote it wrong.

My punctuation was off. It meant to say most people eat a piece of fruit. NOT take a bite, wait, take a bite, wait. Where as drinking (not for everyone but for many people) they sip over an extended period of time.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Depends on the link. When the Food and Drug Administration, the World Health Organization, and decades of study say something is okay I will believe those sources before I believe 1,000 links trying to sell "aspartame detox kits."

Here is a small sampling of things MFP users have called "toxic" and/or "bad" with absolutely no evidence:

Artificial sweeteners
    Natural sweeteners
    GMO fruits and vegetables
    non-organic fruits and vegetables
    organic fruits and vegetables that have harsh organic pesticides
    bananas of all types
    potatoes (but not sweet potatoes)
    sweet potatoes
    Any produce not bought at a farmer's market
    all meats
    fatty meats
    red meats (but sometimes grass-fed beef is okay)
    chicken (but sometimes cage free is okay)
    eggs
    canned tuna
    ocean fish
    fish from farms
    overly processed foods
    processed foods
    foods that aren't "clean" (with no clear definition of "clean")
    gluten
    carbs both "good" and "bad"
    grains (unless they're whole grain)
    "white" foods

...and this is why "peer reviewed studies" and sources are more important than the "average opinion" when deciding if something is harmful or benign.

This is the best list since @diannethegeek created her list of definitions for "clean eating"