Legit..is diet soda actally "bad" for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    jdiehl8282 wrote: »
    One link that says it's not that bad can't counter the hundreds that say it's one of the most dangerous things you can ingest

Depends on the link. When the Food and Drug Administration, the World Health Organization, and decades of study say something is okay I will believe those sources before I believe 1,000 links trying to sell "aspartame detox kits."

Here is a small sampling of things MFP users have called "toxic" and/or "bad" with absolutely no evidence:

Artificial sweeteners
    Natural sweeteners
    GMO fruits and vegetables
    non-organic fruits and vegetables
    organic fruits and vegetables that have harsh organic pesticides
    bananas of all types
    potatoes (but not sweet potatoes)
    sweet potatoes
    Any produce not bought at a farmer's market
    all meats
    fatty meats
    red meats (but sometimes grass-fed beef is okay)
    chicken (but sometimes cage free is okay)
    eggs
    canned tuna
    ocean fish
    fish from farms
    overly processed foods
    processed foods
    foods that aren't "clean" (with no clear definition of "clean")
    gluten
    carbs both "good" and "bad"
    grains (unless they're whole grain)
    "white" foods

...and this is why "peer reviewed studies" and sources are more important than the "average opinion" when deciding if something is harmful or benign.

This is the best list since @diannethegeek created her list of definitions for "clean eating"

Considering that list (and damned near everything I've read by her) I'll take that as a high compliment. I don't know how she keeps posting good advice on the same topics without burning out.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    You take all this trouble to start a thread with keyword "Legit" - ask a question if certain product is actually bad for you and quote unquote "bad" and then declare "I enjoy it so I'm probably not going to stop drinking it entirely"

What a desperate attention seeker you are. :D

:dizzy: Considering my 1 post a month, my counter with "what a desperate troll you are" is probably more accurate. At this point I am curious about the teeth issue. Think I'll have to do some research if diet soda is terrible to teeth, because that's a problem I don' know of I can live with.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    You take all this trouble to start a thread with keyword "Legit" - ask a question if certain product is actually bad for you and quote unquote "bad" and then declare "I enjoy it so I'm probably not going to stop drinking it entirely"

:dizzy: Considering my 1 post a month, my counter with "what a desperate troll you are" is probably more accurate. At this point I am curious about the teeth issue. Think I'll have to do some research if diet soda is terrible to teeth, because that's a problem I don' know of I can live with.

You could put in a quick call to your dentist.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    It's a roll of the dice, as with anything artificial it may affect your health negatively or it may not, you'll just have to wait and see.
    Personally I never have and never will drink diet soda, and drink regular soda only a few times a year. I'm erring on the side of caution on this one..

Edited: for typo

What does "artificial" have to do with it?
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    I struggle with giving up Diet coke but this is what I know about my drug of choice (that's what i call it)

In a 2 liter bottle there are 6 servings. Each serving containing 46mg of caffeine and 40mg of sodium. drink the entire bottle in a day, which is easy, you have consumed 480 mg of sodium and the added caffeine (in Diet Coke) along with the aspartame increases hunger and drives cravings for things one watching their nutritional intake should not be craving, ergo the overeating addiction increases for soda drinkers.

If that is not enough, the damage it does on your teeth should matter as well. If you are not going to reduce or stop your soda intake, balance it with water.

That is my 2 cents worth at least.

I've been drinking diet soda for over fifteen years and I've lost 90 lbs in 51 weeks still drinking diet soda with zero increased hunger or cravings. How many decades is it supposed to take for this increased hunger and cravings to occur in everyone that drinks it??
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I struggle with giving up Diet coke but this is what I know about my drug of choice (that's what i call it)

In a 2 liter bottle there are 6 servings. Each serving containing 46mg of caffeine and 40mg of sodium. drink the entire bottle in a day, which is easy, you have consumed 480 mg of sodium and the added caffeine (in Diet Coke) along with the aspartame increases hunger and drives cravings for things one watching their nutritional intake should not be craving, ergo the overeating addiction increases for soda drinkers.

If that is not enough, the damage it does on your teeth should matter as well. If you are not going to reduce or stop your soda intake, balance it with water.

I've been drinking diet soda for over fifteen years and I've lost 90 lbs in 51 weeks still drinking diet soda with zero increased hunger or cravings. How many decades is it supposed to take for this increased hunger and cravings to occur in everyone that drinks it??

I've got 25 years under my Diet Coke belt so you're safe for at least another 10...
  • queenliz99
    Options

I've got 25 years under my Diet Coke belt so you're safe for at least another 10...

I double dog dare you. 45 years for me. Tab was the devil of choice!
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I'll save you the trouble. The dentist will say that drinking pop isn't great for your teeth. So, if the OP isn't too legit to quit, limiting the intake of it is a good idea. When I was drinking pop, I was given special toothpaste by the dentist.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I'll save you the trouble. The dentist will say that drinking pop isn't great for your teeth. So, if the OP isn't too legit to quit, limiting the intake of it is a good idea. When I was drinking pop, I was given special toothpaste by the dentist.

Nope. I have been drinking diet soda my whole life and have perfect teeth. Shrug
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    rebeccavh wrote: »
    First off, "just drink water instead" is not helpful here, lol. I've been drinking about 40-70oz of diet mountain dew a day, lately. I don't even log it because it's mostly calorie free, and I enjoy it so I'm probably not going to stop drinking it entirely.

Do you think its alright to drink this much? Gogle yields very mixed results..just curious what the average opinion is.

Its not great for you. But it's your life. As a dental hygienist I can only tell you what awful damage you are doing to your teeth. It takes your mouth 20 minutes to buffer the pH back to neutral. so every time you take a sip it's bringing the pH down. And the amount you are having a day is quite a bit. If you were my patient I would strongly encourage you to stop also ask you dentist about MI paste. It can help remineralize some of the damage that might have been caused.
    If one is taking care of their teeth after every meal, than what's the harm?
    Good oral hygiene helps to keep it in check. Personally I've drank at least 2 diet sodas a day (along with water) and haven't had any issues with my teeth for over 30 years.
    And please link the issue about pH being lowered by just taking a sip. Studying physiology, the body is very good at regulating pH on it's own. That's why diets that claim to change acidic to alkaline are full of crap.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

Same here. Cheers <clinks Diet Pepsi with your Diet Coke>

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    First off, "just drink water instead" is not helpful here, lol. I've been drinking about 40-70oz of diet mountain dew a day, lately. I don't even log it because it's mostly calorie free, and I enjoy it so I'm probably not going to stop drinking it entirely.

Do you think its alright to drink this much? Gogle yields very mixed results..just curious what the average opinion is.

Its not great for you. But it's your life. As a dental hygienist I can only tell you what awful damage you are doing to your teeth. It takes your mouth 20 minutes to buffer the pH back to neutral. so every time you take a sip it's bringing the pH down. And the amount you are having a day is quite a bit. If you were my patient I would strongly encourage you to stop also ask you dentist about MI paste. It can help remineralize some of the damage that might have been caused.
    Good oral hygiene helps to keep it in check. Personally I've drank at least 2 diet sodas a day (along with water) and haven't had any issues with my teeth for over 30 years.
    And please link the issue about pH being lowered by just taking a sip. Studying physiology, the body is very good at regulating pH on it's own. That's why diets that claim to change acidic to alkaline are full of crap.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You took some sting off the "oh god what have I done to my teeth" thoughts I was having..still need to look into it tho.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You took some sting off the "oh god what have I done to my teeth" thoughts I was having..still need to look into it tho.

You'll see soda drinkers with rotten teeth and non soda drinkers with rotten teeth. As long as you keep on top of your oral hygiene you 'should' be ok. I'm not a dentist though so i could be completely wrong. I drink a lot of tea and I swish with water a couple times after each cup and give my teeth a light brush after every third cup, it's become an easy habit to get into.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just to add to this, you should not under any circumstances be brushing your teeth within 30 minutes of eating or drinking anything. Mouth acids soften teeth enamel slightly and immediate brushing while ph is high can cause damage.

If you absolutely have to try eating some cheese / drinking milk first to neutralise mouth acids
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Just to add to this, you should not under any circumstances be brushing your teeth within 30 minutes of eating or drinking anything. Mouth acids soften teeth enamel slightly and immediate brushing while ph is high can cause damage.

If you absolutely have to try eating some cheese / drinking milk first to neutralise mouth acids
    One main thing I do after eating........................just rinse my mouth with water. That way it loosens anything stuck in my teeth (especially before seeing clients).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

One main thing I do after eating........................just rinse my mouth with water. That way it loosens anything stuck in my teeth (especially before seeing clients).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Won't affect PH though ...leave the 30 mins before brushing