plus-size 20 something post-mastectomy weight loss journey

Options
I had a prophylactic mastectomy that included liposuction around my chest in March- anyone who's been through it can tell you it's very hard emotionally and physically to recover from. I have a cosmetic revision coming up in a few months, so it's not quite over yet, but we're in the home stretch. During this whole ordeal I've gained a lot of perspective about my relationship to my body and health. Recovery from the initial major surgery was intense and at many points I wondered if I'd ever feel like myself again. Gradually I began to heal and during that time I decided I want to get healthier in general and excess lose weight (I've been plus size my whole life.) If I can make it through recovering from major surgery, I feel confident I can lose weight and keep it off too.

I'm currently 245 and my goal is 145, or whatever feels most healthy on down the road. Obviously that goal is ambitious and long term. Right now I'm taking it day by day, pound by pound. If you are too and your goals are near to mine, send me a friend request and we can help keep each other accountable. I plan to log every day and my food and exercise journal will be open to friends. :p

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I started around your weight and am 135 now:) you can do this too!!!!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    First I love your MFP name! Just getting thru the pain and discomfort, lack of control over major aspects of medical care is tough enough. I am glad you are preparing for the reconstruction and have a positive surgery to look toward. I'm older than you, and had been healthy but fat most of my life, at 60 I was in a head on collision, and also kidney cancer was discovered the same time..whammo..I immediately was far more interested in healthier eating, and lost 35 pounds as I prepared for a nephrectomy.... being willing to fight for better health is worthwhile. What also helped was a low carb diet, eliminating anything processed, no added sugars, sodas, cereals, pizza, desserts etc. I enjoy preparing food at home, so don't mind giving up grains, or fast foods.

For heavier weight people it seems a low carb diet works faster, and lowers blood sugar too. I used www.dietdoctor.com Swedish MD who offers a ton of info on low carb eating but found a lot online too. I will friend you and am happy to share what has worked for me..I can't exercise a lot, so this made a difference.
  • FickleFruitBat
    FickleFruitBat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    First I love your MFP name! Just getting thru the pain and discomfort, lack of control over major aspects of medical care is tough enough. I am glad you are preparing for the reconstruction and have a positive surgery to look toward. I'm older than you, and had been healthy but fat most of my life, at 60 I was in a head on collision, and also kidney cancer was discovered the same time..whammo..I immediately was far more interested in healthier eating, and lost 35 pounds as I prepared for a nephrectomy.... being willing to fight for better health is worthwhile. What also helped was a low carb diet, eliminating anything processed, no added sugars, sodas, cereals, pizza, desserts etc. I enjoy preparing food at home, so don't mind giving up grains, or fast foods.

For heavier weight people it seems a low carb diet works faster, and lowers blood sugar too. I used www.dietdoctor.com Swedish MD who offers a ton of info on low carb eating but found a lot online too. I will friend you and am happy to share what has worked for me..I can't exercise a lot, so this made a difference.

You are amazing! Getting through all that takes so much strength. Thanks for adding me, and thanks for the link. I'll be checking that out.

I'm pretty healthy in terms of my diet, but the rest of my family is big so I'm not surprised I am too (honestly I'm one of the smallest, probably because I haven't had any kids and I'm young.) A love of sweets and fried food doesn't help either,genetics are not entirely to blame! I figure I can still enjoy them now and then- they'll taste even better as a rare treat. I want to become more fit as well as losing weight, though my ability to exercise is still limited to walking and gentle yoga for the forseeable future.