Gun to your head fast food choices

Options
I was at a conference today where lunch was provided, but was not within my guidelines. So I went out and the only thing I could find close and would get me back in time for the conference was Taco Bell. I was somewhat surprised I was able to get a 420 calorie lunch. Three shredded chicken soft tacos fresco style(no cheese add pico de gallo) and an iced tea.

Now normally gun to my head I myself would say Subway, but this worked. Kind of curious if people have any hidden fast food treasures that fit within moderately healthy(good luck on sodium content) eating plan?

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Personally, in a similar situation I would find a convenience store. They usually have some sort of protein bar, jerky, nuts... but I don't usually eat 400 plus calories per meal.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    oops
  • BigTandthesquatters
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Personally, in a similar situation I would find a convenience store. They usually have some sort of protein bar, jerky, nuts... but I don't usually eat 400 plus calories per meal.

Yeah maybe I should have stated I started my adventure at 500lbs so my calorie allowance set up by me, and my team was originally 2700/day. After a year we have worked down to 2200. I usually eat 3-4 meals a day plus a snack. Most of my meals are between 350-550 calories.

But you missed the point "Gun to your head". There was no convenience store there was a food court.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Gun to my head, Taco Bell would always be my choice. But it's also the one where I don't limit my calories so much (pizza and soft taco).

I can easily get sandwiches at Wendys (Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger), Burger King (Whopper Jr. with cheese and without mayo), and McDonalds (McChicken) for under 400 calories. I don't watch my sodium intake.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Big Mac = 560 calories and a diet soda. I can do that if needed.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Gun to my head, Taco Bell would always be my choice. But it's also the one where I don't limit my calories so much (pizza and soft taco).

I can easily get sandwiches at Wendys (Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger), Burger King (Whopper Jr. with cheese and without mayo), and McDonalds (McChicken) for under 400 calories. I don't watch my sodium intake.

I like the Jr cheeseburger deluxe hold the mayo at Wendy's. Plus To fill me up I can get 2 side salads very very very very lite dressing.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Wendy's chili. I think only 350 calories. So worth it. Chickfila grilled chicken sandwich (a bit boring).
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    A McDonald's grilled chicken salad is delicious, and only about 500 cals.
  • BigTandthesquatters
    Options
    A McDonald's grilled chicken salad is delicious, and only about 500 cals.

with or without dressing?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat out once a week usually. It is a planned event.
    I guess my tip for lowering calories and sodium would be first look up nutrition info if you can. If you can't consider skipping cheese or bacon, go light on condiments and dressings, go light on bread or rice, get thin crust pizza instead of stuffed crust, get grilled meats, get the regular or small version of sandwiches or fries, drink water or unsweetened tea.

Burger places- I get a regular hamburger, side salad with vinaigrette dressing and unsweetened tea- or one of the salads with grilled chicken and a vinaigrette dressing

Subway- I get a 6" Italian BMT on wheat bread with spinach, olives, peppers, onion, tomato, and vinaigrette

I think last time I went to Taco Bell I had a power bowl. It was very filling for me.
  • SheLikesToLift
    SheLikesToLift Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell steak cantina power bowl
    No beans
    No rice
    Extra steak
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    McDonalds Happy Meal
  • runto107
    runto107 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Carl's Jr teriyaki burger (can do chicken instead of beef) I order it no mayo no bun in a lettuce wrap. A whopping 280 calories and very satisfying. I make it a once a week treat because it's right next to the place where I get physical therapy : )
  • runto107
    runto107 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Most burger places will do a lettuce wrap, I didn't know this for the longest time
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wendy's grilled chicken wraps. Lots of protein and the honey mustard is yummy!!
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't need a gun to my head to eat fast food. Any place you go has options that will fit into your calorie goals and most places nowadays have the calorie counts (and in some cases other nutrition information) displayed right on the menu or on a poster or pamphlet - or on their website if you have a chance to research beforehand. That said I absolutely LOVE Taco Bell. Whenever they release something new (or "new" depending on your opinion of them) I always try it and then work my dinner around whatever that came to. I used to like Subway, but after plugging a couple of my favorites into their calorie calculator.... we don't go there near as often. One footlong takes up my whole day's calories.
  • nattygonz
    nattygonz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My best gun-to-my-head fast food choices are:

Chick-fil-A - grilled nuggets and a side salad (they have fat free dressing but I usually don't get any and just eat with the nuggets)
    Chipotle salad - chicken, grilled peppers, side of guacamole (I use sparingly) and green salsa on top
    Burger place - bunless burger, no cheese or mayo, extra lettuce and tomato

• thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    The only fast food I usually do is panda, qdoba and chipotle. Panda I get string bean chicken bowl, 1/2 veggies 1/2 chow mein. I usually get a chicken brown rice burrito bowl or tacos at the other two. I will say yesterday I was forced to do drive thru fast food. So I got a fresco style double decker at Taco Bell for like 300 calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    McDonalds' cheeseburger: 300 calories and 15 grams protein.