• Once_Wonderwoman
    Once_Wonderwoman Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Egg whites, peanut butter, stevia, dark cocoa powder, flax seed
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Depends. If I go the savoury route, I like to cook it in vegetable broth with split red lentils, then top it with salsa and avocado and lots of lime juice and hot sauce. :3

For sweet, soy milk, ground flax, mashed banana, protein powder, and flaked coconut! <3
  • zumbagirl2526
    zumbagirl2526 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like to prepare overnight oats. I just add almond milk, a teaspoon of vanilla, cinnamon, and a little bit of honey. Stir it all up and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
  • cinnabondelights
    cinnabondelights Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I make organic steel cut oats (Bob's Red Mill) and I add raspberries and blackberries. After reading some of the previous posts, I'll probably add some banana slices as well!
  • PaulaSchlotterbeck
    PaulaSchlotterbeck Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I alternate between a scoop of Naked PB with packet of stevia and a 1/2c frozen blueberries (no stevia with that one- the berries sweeten enough for my taste).
    I like to make a big batch of plain steel cut oats in my crock pot on the weekend- I have enough for the week with minimal effort (and it lets me change up the flavors each day).
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Salt and butter. That's it.
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    LunaLatte wrote: »
    Fruit combos mostly (I prefer overnight oats~Something about cold oats in the summer is amazing). Some of my favorites are:
    -1/2 cup Blubberies + 1 TBSP of raisins + a bit of vanilla escence + 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
    - 1/4 cup of strawberries + 1/4 cup banana + 1 TBSP of unsweetened cocoa powder + 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
    - 1/2 a pear + 1 scoop of vanilla plant based protein powder + a bit of vanilla essence + 1 tsp of brown sugar

I do not understand overnight oatmeal so do you just prepare it and mix that in it and not add milk in the morning do you just eat it like that

You use rolled oats and you don't cook them at all! I am doing them every morning. The one I have this morning is:

1/4 cup rolled oats
    3 tbsp. flax seed (or chia seeds)
    3 oz black cherry yogurt
    1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (lactose intolerant)
    mix well in a pint size mason jar then add

5 of frozen blueberries
    5 of frozen cherries
    1 tsp honey
    mix again and put the top on then put in the fridge overnight.

In the morning when I get to my desk I add 1/4 of a chopped banana and a sprinkle of granola.

You can use any yogurt/fruit combo. You can also use any milk product. I use almond because I can't drink regular milk, and I just like the taste better. I like mine super creamy, if you don't you can always not use yogurt and just use milk or water. You can also use any sweetener you want, or just use the sweetness from the fruit. The honey helps with my joints.

I am so trying some of the savory oats though. They look yummy.

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I usually just mix a half scoop of peanut butter cookie protein powder in with some almond milk.

...but a couple of weeks ago I rendered down some bacon lardons, drained the bacon through some coffee filters and wiped out the pan. Tossed in some pecan pieces with a teaspoon of the filtered bacon fat until they were a bit toasty. Put the bacon back in and poured in a bit of real maple syrup and warmed it until it was a bit reduced. It didn't take much to make a yummy bowl of spiced oatmeal AMAZING.

We ate the leftover topping with blueberry cobbler.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    well, for my overnight oats I put in a little nutella (so it's kind of a dessert), almond butter, ground flax seed, chia seeds, almond milk, and greek yogurt
  • BrandonMaria77
    BrandonMaria77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Agave with cinnamon and nutmeg.
  • Zaskar60
    Zaskar60 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If I eat it plain, I only add cinnamon. It's boring...and doesn't taste all that great, but it's more for fuel than anything else. However, I add a 3/8 cup of steel cut oats in the blender along with a banana, skim milk, blueberries, and two scoops of whey protein each morning for an awesome protein smoothie.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    1. One teaspoon of cinnamon when cooking it. It makes it taste sweet and spices are good for you. 2. a beaten egg before cooking it. 3. Ground flax seed. 4. Nuts. 5. Dried fruit. 6. No sugar-y anything.
  • ann_kristen
    ann_kristen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ground Flax/chia seeds
    Blueberries
    Protein powder
    Goji berries
    coaca nibs
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    When I want to save calories I add Oreo bits. Just the biscuit part not the cream. I just break them into nicely sized chunks and mix them in. It's much lower in calories than nuts.

Sometimes I let it cool a bit until it forms a "skin" then sprinkle some brown sugar on top and caramelize it with a torch. If I'm feeling fancy I would layer with a small amounts of dulce de leche beforehand for a mock creme brulee. Without the sauce it's actually nice on calories.

Cocoa powder or plain old chocolate and canned sour cherries go well together on oatmeal too.

Sometimes I just add protein powder or brewed coffee with milk.

I also like the combination of peaches and coconut cream, but it can get pretty calorific if you're not careful.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I had never even considered eating savory oatmeal for breakfast before. It makes sense though because people eat eggs with salsa, so why not oatmeal. I might have to try this. :smiley:
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    I make it with low-sodium chicken broth and top with an over-medium egg.

Terrific idea! I also like savory mix-ins like PB2, cheddar cheese & sage, or nutritional yeast -- these also up the protein content. (Nutritional yeast being this stuff: http://bragg.com/products/bragg-premium-nutritional-yeast-seasoning-salt-free.html)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I use most of the time-chia seeds,hemp seeds,protein powder and a berry of some sort sometimes 2 kinds, I will add powdered peanut butter sometimes,almond slivers,walnuts ground up or even pecans. it just depends on my mood and what I add to it. sometimes I will add chocolate/butterscotch morsels to it
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Water
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sautéed vegetables, a poached egg and hot sauce
  • oitsjulie
    oitsjulie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it up, depending what's on hand. My favorite is peanut butter (or PB2 if I need to save cals), banana and cocoa powder. Hershey's unsweetened cocoa power is bomb in oatmeal if you're craving chocolate! I'll also experiment with raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries. I'm a sucker for butter so I add in Smart Balance Light and I use Stevia to sweeten it.