I'm stuck.

Options
I started at 250 pounds. I lost 40. (Yea!) But for a long time now, I've been stuck at 210. And I keep fluctuating between 210 -220. Like a seesaw...up and down. I haven't changed my healthy eating habits, still exercise, and don't use any drugs of any kind. I've even tried to get stricter on my eating habits and tried more cardiovascular but nothing is working. It's been this way for the last 6 months. My goal is 170. I'm 5' 10" and will be 47 in a month. Any suggestions?

Replies

• phrunch
    phrunch Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    As another member mentioned, have you refigured your calorie intake at your new weight? You also want to ensure you're eating enough each day. Sometimes when people hit a plateau they cut too far to shake it and end up on a seesaw.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hoohoohaa wrote: »
    Have you been adjusting calories as you lose weight? I'd refigure your calorie count at your new weight. What are your macros at?
    You must get stricter with your caloric intake-weighing the food before you eat it and not going wild on weekends and holidays.

What they said. What kcals are you eating daily? Do you weight and count everything from lettuce to low kcal dressing? It is easy to get casual and misjudge portions - I have done this before.
  • matthewmalicoat
    matthewmalicoat Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have you been adjusting calories as you lose weight? I'd refigure your calorie count at your new weight. What are your macros at?

Well, to be honest, like I said before I mainly use the program to count my carbs for my diabetes type 1. I hate to sound dumb but I don't even understand what a macro is. I see it under my nutrition but I'm not sure what's the difference between macro and the others. I've got my cards set to the lowest that the program will let me set it. I'm always so enamored about the carbs that I don't even have anything to measure my calories.

• matthewmalicoat
    Options
    phrunch wrote: »
    As another member mentioned, have you refigured your calorie intake at your new weight? You also want to ensure you're eating enough each day. Sometimes when people hit a plateau they cut too far to shake it and end up on a seesaw.

When it comes the calories, I'm afraid I'm lost. I have no idea how to figure calorie intake compared to my weight and height.
  • matthewmalicoat
    Options
    1. If it'sss than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

So the first thing I need to do is buy me a scale. Will the scale also help me with my carbs? Also should I buy some kind of a tracker that tells me my calorie Intake/lost? Thank you so much for your advice and how neatly you laid out each subject. Thank you for your time.
  • matthewmalicoat
    Options
    You must get stricter with your caloric intake-weighing the food before you eat it and not going wild on weekends and holidays.

What they said. What kcals are you eating daily? Do you weight and count everything from lettuce to low kcal dressing? It is easy to get casual and misjudge portions - I have done this before.

I count everything that goes into my mouth. I have to. I will have to say that I'm not very good on judging the portions. And I know that KCAL is kilocalories but I don't understand it. Thank you for your time and replying.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Well, you've been eating at maintenance if you've stayed at this same weight with these current habits.

Unfortunately, if you want to lose, you're going to have to cut your calories some more.

I'm assuming your diabetes is under control with medication so i won't touch on that.

All of the food we eat is made up of two things.

Macronutrients= These make up the bulk of our food and they're what provide us energy (calories). There are three different macronutrients which make up all of the food we eat. These are "Carbohydrates, Proteins, and Fats".

and

Micronutrients= these are only found in trace amounts and consist of all of the vitamins and minerals we need.

Since macronutrients are the only thing which provide us calories, by controlling total macronutrients you can control calories and vice versa.

I would recommend you get a food scale (they're cheap) and start actually logging your daily food. This will give you an idea of what you're consuming now and how you can make substitutions and eliminations to reduce the overall calorie intake of your diet.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    phrunch wrote: »

When it comes the calories, I'm afraid I'm lost. I have no idea how to figure calorie intake compared to my weight and height.

Bingo! Go into goals, set your height, weight, and the rate of loss you're hoping for, and mfp will tell you your calorie goal...then learn how to weigh/measure your foods (there are very helpful links stuck at the top of this page and on the beginner page) and you're gold. :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Packaged foods should have calorie information - and carb/fat/protein information - on the package. Your carb needs for diabetes are relevant while other people don't need to focus on carbs. But to lose weight you need to eat less calories than your body uses in a day. Counting calories, and using MFP to do so, can help you get back to losing weight.

For items that are not packaged - such as raw ingredients like meat, vegetables, etc. - you can look up the nutrition information here. When searching in the database search for terms like 'USDA carrots' and look for an entry that shows information in grams/weight.

When you entered your information into MFP - height/weight/gender/age and that you want to lose weight, it should have given you a calorie target to aim for. Use this as a starting point. Keep an eye on your health/diabetes but also work to be more aware of the total calorie content you're consuming.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
  • matthewmalicoat
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Well, you've been eating at maintenance if you've stayed at this same weight with these current habits.

Unfortunately, if you want to lose, you're going to have to cut your calories some more.

I'm assuming your diabetes is under control with medication so i won't touch on that.

All of the food we eat is made up of two things.

Macronutrients= These make up the bulk of our food and they're what provide us energy (calories). There are three different macronutrients which make up all of the food we eat. These are "Carbohydrates, Proteins, and Fats".

and

Micronutrients= these are only found in trace amounts and consist of all of the vitamins and minerals we need.

Since macronutrients are the only thing which provide us calories, by controlling total macronutrients you can control calories and vice versa.

I would recommend you get a food scale (they're cheap) and start actually logging your daily food. This will give you an idea of what you're consuming now and how you can make substitutions and eliminations to reduce the overall calorie intake of your diet.

That was VERY well explained and I actually understand the difference and what you're saying I need to do.

Unfortunately, my diabetes has gone out of control recently. Have to see my Endo next week. I don't take pills, I'm on an insulin pump 24/7 since my pancreas no longer functions.

Thanks @rainbowbow. (Cool moniker)
  • matthewmalicoat
    Options
    I'm sorry...but I'm still not grasping how and why to use the scale. What does it tell you?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When we measure in cups, we can be way off and likely to overestimate. The scale can measure your food in grams, which will be more accurate and a better way to keep closer tabs on the calories.
    Depending on where you buy them they cost from 15 dollars at Target and Walmart to up to 35 dollars from various sellers on Amazon.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Nice hat. :)

The reason to use a food scale is that, like RodaRose said above, you can measure accurately. I got mine for like 12 bucks on Amazon and now it is so much easier to figure out the calories, protein, fat, and carbs for my portions instead of estimating 12 almonds or 1/4 bell pepper or whatever. I actually package up serving size portions of my favorites in snack bags, premeasured at X grams each, so I can grab and go, and it's easy to record without weighing everything every single time.

Since you're diabetic, this will really help you with carb intake. I'm prediabetic and it has really helped me. Be sure to increase fat as you decrease carbs, so your body can use the fat as fuel. I eat a lot of eggs and avocados and nuts for this as well as meat and fish and full-fat dairy.

Good luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry...but I'm still not grasping how and why to use the scale. What does it tell you?

here's a good video you can watch.

When you use a scale and log your food into your diary by the weight of the item the calorie information is much much much more precise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6Il4BBBTJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU
  • matthewmalicoat
    edited July 2016
    Options
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    Nice hat. :)

The reason to use a food scale is that, like RodaRose said above, you can measure accurately. I got mine for like 12 bucks on Amazon and now it is so much easier to figure out the calories, protein, fat, and carbs for my portions instead of estimating 12 almonds or 1/4 bell pepper or whatever. I actually package up serving size portions of my favorites in snack bags, premeasured at X grams each, so I can grab and go, and it's easy to record without weighing everything every single time.

Since you're diabetic, this will really help you with carb intake. I'm prediabetic and it has really helped me. Be sure to increase fat as you decrease carbs, so your body can use the fat as fuel. I eat a lot of eggs and avocados and nuts for this as well as meat and fish and full-fat dairy.

Good luck!

@LokiGrrl , thanks for the compliment on the hat. It was actually my dad and mom's 50th anniversary and we set up a whole wedding since they didn't have a real wedding. At the last minute I threw on the hat and everyone seem to like it, so I went for it!

I really like your idea of "package up serving size portions of my favorites in snack bags, premeasured at X grams each, so I can grab and go, and it's easy to record without weighing everything every single time." I'm going to start doing that myself.